Serviio on a RPi ? (Raspberry Pi)

<<

NX3

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Serviio on a RPi ? (Raspberry Pi)

Raspberry Pi JDK preview is up at:

http://jdk8.java.net/fxarmpreview/javaf ... eview.html

I've got this installed, grabbing Serviio linux now and will see if I can get it running on RPi !

"line 67: java: command not found"

I need to set home in as JRE is installed in /opt as per instructions from Oracle. I've changed the serviio.sh file home reference but still not working.

I thought I'd kick off compiling ffmpeg for now, libfaac-dev doesn't seem to be available ?
http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=build_ffmpeg_linux

I had to cut a few bits out to compile, as below only because I wanted a quick and dirty build to try out...

./configure --enable-gpl --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb \
--enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis \
--enable-nonfree --enable-postproc --enable-version3 --enable-x11grab \
--enable-libxvid
<<

NX3

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:10 pm

I've changed $JAVA_HOME to "JAVA_HOME=/opt/jdk1.8.0/bin/java" as that's where its installed on Raspbian.

"/opt/jdk1.8.0/bin/java -version" works of course...

I still get "line 67: java: command not found" so its still not happy even. Has anyone else tried to get Java running and Serviio on Raspbian ?
<<

NX3

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:48 pm

To answer my own question I've got Serviio working on Raspbian on a Raspberry Pi. I'll get it onto the wiki soon.

It all works well, transcoding is off of course!

Draft 1:
http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=how ... l:raspbian
Last edited by NX3 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

grolschie

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:52 pm

Good work. Will it be able to transcode SD video if enabled?
Using Serviio on Debian "Wheezy" with Xbox 360, Sony BDP-S370 & Panasonic E6.
<<

NX3

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:37 pm

Transcoding is on but not workng. Probably cause I've not got ffmpeg compiled, I'm just using the stock build version as I wanted to prove anything worked first. ffmpeg compile wasn't working very well so I gave up on it to get something working for now :)
<<

grolschie

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:14 am

Thanks for that. Out of interest, have you tried the Pi as a renderer with Serviio (e.g. with XMBC or something)?
<<

NX3

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:26 am

Yeah I've installed OpenElec on a SD card on RPI and got it setup with my main Serviio server no problem. It all worked great as you'd expect.
<<

grolschie

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:29 am

Great stuff. Thanks for that.
<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:47 pm

Excellent work!
Would be cool if there was an easy to flash SD card image like Openelec XBMC
Sony Bravia 2010 52NX803 - Sony PS3 - Xbox 360
Serviio running on QNAP NAS 639 Pro - 1.6 Intel Dual Core - 2GB RAM and QNAP NAS 121 - 2Ghz ARM Marvell - 1GB RAM
Console using ServiiDroid for Android, ServiiMetro and ServiiWP for Windows Phone and WebUI for iOS
<<

NX3

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:55 pm

Its basically Raspbian + Oracle + Serviio.

My image has sabnzb, sickbeard, couch, samba, chrome, tightvnc, gparted and minidlna.... I'm making it work hard ! Overclocked and it copes but memory is very limited and it does find it all hard work :)

Oracle JDK8 is an early preview so best wait for the final version really but not sure of the value of a SD card image of an OS with a couple of apps installed and we have the wiki for those who want to do it. Thats the ethos really of Raspberry Pi.
<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:18 am

I like the thought of Serviio, Sab and Sickbeard running on my RPi!!

With compiling ffmpeg, is there not any sites from people sharing their compiled builds of ffmpeg for RPi?
Sony Bravia 2010 52NX803 - Sony PS3 - Xbox 360
Serviio running on QNAP NAS 639 Pro - 1.6 Intel Dual Core - 2GB RAM and QNAP NAS 121 - 2Ghz ARM Marvell - 1GB RAM
Console using ServiiDroid for Android, ServiiMetro and ServiiWP for Windows Phone and WebUI for iOS
<<

NX3

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:52 pm

I've not found anything yet but the apt-get install ffmpeg gets you a working version, I just don't think it has all the libraries linked. Maybe not important though as you can't transcode really due to the cpu.
<<

NX3

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:11 pm

The apt-get ffmpeg won't trancsode. I built toolchain and got it working on a Ubuntu box and built the executables but they didn't work on Raspbian. After a bit of fudging I got them all built on the RPi itself and now it transcodes !

I've mainly using to convert mkv to avc so just a container swap but it still takes it a lot longer to do than my ubuntu pc + sata v RPI + USB 2 HDD (WD Elements). Still its all workable :)

I've update the wiki for ffmpeg
http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=how ... an&#ffmpeg
<<

jadeskye

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:33 pm

Hello NX3 (and guys) i've got serviio running on on my pi using the wiki guide but i can't get it to start with my pi on startup. I've copied the script and made adjustments to make sure the files are pointed at my serviio location.

# !/bin/bash
#

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: serviio
# Required-Start: $syslog
# Required-Stop: $syslog
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: serviio server
# Description:
#
### END INIT INFO

User=pi

case "$1" in

stop)
echo "Stop Serviio..."
su -l $User -c "/home/pi/serviio/serviio-1.2/bin/serviio.sh -stop" > /dev/null 2>&1$
;;
start)
# start Serviio in background mode
su -l $User -c "/home/pi/serviio/serviio-1.2/bin/serviio.sh" > /dev/null 2>&1 &
echo "Start Serviio..."
;;
restart)
$0

stop

i've attempted to give it permission to be executable :

sudo chmod 755 /etc/init.d/serviio

and registered it to start on startup

sudo update-rc.d serviio defaults

but unfortunately despite the fact when i manually start the script it works perfectly. it refuses to start on startup.

Any guesses? =D
<<

NX3

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:41 pm

Are you running on a model b with 256mb or 512mb ? Just out of interest....also did you compile your ffmpeg on the RPi ?

Glad someone else has tried it, not sure initially why its not working. I've not updated to 1.2 as yet but same different for the startup script. Your paths are the only think different, they are 100% correct ?

Have you checked if the service is running but not just the gui ? As that's how I left it so I use serviiodroid to control no the gui on Raspbian or test via a media device is running. From boot it can be slow if its got a lot to index, are you running from a SD, USB or HDD ? I'll update the wiki to mention it won't run the gui on my script :)
<<

jadeskye

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:29 pm

it's a model B and i did compile FFmpeg. it took about an hour but it worked.

as far as i'm aware, the pathways are right. but until yesterday i never used raspbian (or any linux distro) so it could be wrong?

i'm also using serviiodroid on my galaxy s3 to control it. when i start the service manually, this works perfectly. i'm running from the SD card.
<<

jadeskye

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:14 am

NX3 wrote:Are you running on a model b with 256mb or 512mb ? Just out of interest....also did you compile your ffmpeg on the RPi ?

Glad someone else has tried it, not sure initially why its not working. I've not updated to 1.2 as yet but same different for the startup script. Your paths are the only think different, they are 100% correct ?

Have you checked if the service is running but not just the gui ? As that's how I left it so I use serviiodroid to control no the gui on Raspbian or test via a media device is running. From boot it can be slow if its got a lot to index, are you running from a SD, USB or HDD ? I'll update the wiki to mention it won't run the gui on my script :)

Oh i just realised what you mean, it only runs in command line only. no raspbian gui. I changed that but now it's giving me a FAIL on start up.

startpar: services returned failure serviio
<<

jadeskye

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:06 pm

NX3 wrote:Are you running on a model b with 256mb or 512mb ? Just out of interest....also did you compile your ffmpeg on the RPi ?

heres a picture of the log on startup
Attachments
2013-03-12 18.03.58.jpg
2013-03-12 18.03.58.jpg (466.54 KiB) Viewed 15651 times
<<

NX3

DLNA master

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:19 pm

jadeskye wrote:it's a model B and i did compile FFmpeg. it took about an hour but it worked.

Only an hour !? blimey....

It works in Raspbian GUI, what I meant was Serviio is two parts. The service and the gui, my guide / script only got the service running as thats all you really need. You can run the serviio GUI as well but I saved memory by not loading it as for my setup it was not needed.

On your screenshot it says you have an error in your startup script in line 29 and you have an EOF error. Thats could be what you need to check out.
<<

jadeskye

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:51 pm

NX3 wrote:
jadeskye wrote:it's a model B and i did compile FFmpeg. it took about an hour but it worked.

Only an hour !? blimey....

It works in Raspbian GUI, what I meant was Serviio is two parts. The service and the gui, my guide / script only got the service running as thats all you really need. You can run the serviio GUI as well but I saved memory by not loading it as for my setup it was not needed.

On your screenshot it says you have an error in your startup script in line 29 and you have an EOF error. Thats could be what you need to check out.

I got it working! You're missing a 'esac' on the end of the script. you should update your wiki page to reflect that and as far as i can tell, your method is ingenius and foolproof. Thanks a bunch for figuring it out!
PreviousNext

Return to NAS installation