FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Running server side on FreeBSD

<<

dboy

Serviio lover

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:18 pm

Re: Running server side on FreeBSD

Need some help reegarding FreeNAS+Serviio.
Admittingly more a FreNAS configuration planning problem....and I am a total FreeBSD/FreeNAS newbie...

I have gathered all the necessary stuff to install a FreeNAS system. (AMD64/4GB system with dual SATA 2TB disks, possibly a third IDE disk for the system)
I would like to run ZFS for the disks. Since ZFS is under heavy development I will need to upgrade the system regularly.

How did you guys install your systems? I would like too have the system real easy to upgrade.
Is it best to make a full install of FreeBDS to a separate UFS disk, add Java and Serviio to it?

Or what do you suggest?
<<

dboy

Serviio lover

Post Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:04 am

Fafa:
I assume the progress you reported on earlier was for Serviio 0.42?
Did you get Serviio 0.5 to run on your FreeNAS aswell?
Is it FreeNAS 0.72 you are running it on?

Kot
Any progress with the port?
Is it a Serviio 0.5 port now?

/dboy
<<

fafa

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:07 pm

Hi all

sorry for not getting back earlier.
to make a long story short I switched to a minimal freebsd instal vs. freenas running 0.5.1 as :
- i could not got transcoding working properly and this was not limited to serviio obviously (ie got similar limitation with menconder)
- i am looking at the 8.0 current development to see how the takeover from iXsystems will influence the software (nicely i guess)

another thing I realized is that my new freebox revolution (dsl box which is atom based) does a much better work at transcoding so I serve my files from my bsd box, running serviio as upnp/dlna server, and the box does the transcoding to the bravia.

i am planning to play a little back with the ffmpeg-servvio transcoding but i need to go through the forums and see what has been going on recently

cheers
<<

kot

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:08 am

fafa wrote:another thing I realized is that my new freebox revolution (dsl box which is atom based) does a much better work at transcoding so I serve my files from my bsd box, running serviio as upnp/dlna server, and the box does the transcoding to the bravia

Could you try viewing a 1920x1080 file on your Bravia -- transcoded this way? The TV is crashing few minutes into any high-res movie for me -- it works for you, then it should be possible for serviio to figoure out, how to feed it the videos to avoid the crashing...

BTW, if you aren't doing transcoding on the DLNA-server, you may find net/minidlna to be a better solution. It is written in pure C and is, in general a little better as a daemon -- even if you have to restart it, when you modify your media collection.
FreeBSD port of Serviio is now in the tree. Please, try using it and share your experience.
<<

dboy

Serviio lover

Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:05 am

kot,
Could you, very briefly, describe what your port does?

I guess it checks that java and ffmpeg are installed, and install them if necessary ?
And that it then installs serviio.

But does it also add the line -Dserviio.remoteHost=192.168.xxx.yyy
to the /bin/serviio.sh ?

Did you manage to fix the issue with the x-server being necessary?

I want to install it to FreeNAS and using a package is (probably) as easier way of maintaining and upgrading.
<<

kot

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:21 pm

dboy wrote:kot,
Could you, very briefly, describe what your port does?

It installs Serviio in a manner suitable for FreeBSD and expected by the FreeBSD users.

I guess it checks that java and ffmpeg are installed, and install them if necessary ?
And that it then installs serviio.

Yes. It also makes the serviio daemon and serviio-console startable from command-line (by wrapping them in proper shell scripts) and allows you to make the daemon start automatically at boot by setting
  Code:
serviio_enable=YES
in /etc/rc.conf.

But does it also add the line -Dserviio.remoteHost=192.168.xxx.yyy
to the /bin/serviio.sh ?

No. You can set whatever arguments you wish as serviio_args in /etc/rc.conf, though.

Did you manage to fix the issue with the x-server being necessary?

Yes.
I want to install it to FreeNAS and using a package is (probably) as easier way of maintaining and upgrading.

I never used FreeNAS myself. If they sync FreeBSD's ports-tree, then they should have the port by now. But if they can only install pre-made packages, then you are out of luck, because zip's licensing terms disallow such packages — he explicitly told me, he does not want NAS-makers to be using his software for free.
FreeBSD port of Serviio is now in the tree. Please, try using it and share your experience.
<<

fafa

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:21 pm

@ kot

- serving any file from serviio to the freebox works perfectly (except that subtitles are not recognized by the box) including ffwd which is *very* convenient. no file is getting transcoded at all by serviio this way so I am even thinking downsizing my file server to an atom-like solution
- serving most files from serviio to the 46w5800 work, through transcoding. ffwd work more or less but is way less reactive compared to the freebox 's experience
<<

kot

DLNA master

Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:03 am

fafa wrote:no file is getting transcoded at all

In this case, you may be happier with the net/minidlna port instead... It does not transcode, but is otherwise more convenient: no Java overhead, database of media is kept separate from the configuration parameters (so you can blow the database without having to reconfigure everything from scratch), and the database is in SQLite and thus browsable directly from command line.
<<

ahard

Serviio newbie

Post Sun May 08, 2011 5:15 am

will1987 wrote:Is anyone here using an Intel Atom? Currently looking at running FreeNAS on a D525 (Dual Core 1.8GHz).

I am using a d510 atom with 4G ram and 4x1T raidz. Transcoding works great. running freebsd, however, not freenas.

kot wrote:
dboy wrote:The link is dead, gives a 404 error.

Argh... Should be working again now...

@kot

I am having difficulty getting serviiod to autostart with rc. It starts fine with /usr/local/etc/rc.d/serviio start so I assume it's missing a dependency at boot time, and I need to specify a require but I am unable to figure out what that would be. I put rc in debug mode and get the following output for serviio:

May 7 21:41:02 storage root: /etc/rc: DEBUG: checkyesno: serviio_enable is set to YES.
May 7 21:41:02 storage root: /etc/rc: DEBUG: run_rc_command: start_precmd: mkdir -p /var/db/serviio /var/log/serviio; chown dlna /var/db/serviio /var/log/serviio
May 7 21:41:02 storage root: /etc/rc: DEBUG: run_rc_command: doit: su -m dlna -c 'sh -c "/usr/local/sbin/serviiod &"'

but when it comes up, no java process.

any suggestions?
<<

kot

DLNA master

Post Mon May 09, 2011 2:10 pm

but when it comes up, no java process.

Let's start with the /var/log/serviio/serviio.log ... Anything "interesting" there?
<<

ahard

Serviio newbie

Post Tue May 10, 2011 4:00 am

kot wrote:Let's start with the /var/log/serviio/serviio.log ... Anything "interesting" there?

serviio.log shows no indication that an attempt was made to start the service. last entry is from before reboot each time.
<<

kot

DLNA master

Post Tue May 10, 2011 4:38 am

Try starting serviiod by yourself from command line.

Check the permissions on the /var/log/serviio/ and the files underneath. They ought to be long to user dlna.
<<

ahard

Serviio newbie

Post Wed May 11, 2011 6:40 am

kot wrote:Try starting serviiod by yourself from command line.

Check the permissions on the /var/log/serviio/ and the files underneath. They ought to be long to user dlna.

it runs fine with /usr/local/etc/rc.d/serviio start
this is why I suspected in my first post that there was a missing dependency at startup.
<<

kot

DLNA master

Post Wed May 11, 2011 1:44 pm

ahard wrote:it runs fine with /usr/local/etc/rc.d/serviio start
this is why I suspected in my first post that there was a missing dependency at startup.

All it needs are Java and fmpeg -- which are found under the same /usr/local tree as the rc.d directory... Something may be unusual about your configuration/filesystems, but I can't guess (from here), what it might be :? You'll have to dig it for yourself...

Do publish the result of your investigation, though... Thanks!
<<

Squale76

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:56 am

Hello,

I've a problem with the installation of serviio on a FreeBSD using port tree.
see my post at http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6534

I don't find le serviio lib where the *.jar are.
Have you an idea ?
Thanks.
<<

kot

DLNA master

Post Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:56 am

Squale76 wrote:I've a problem with the installation of serviio on a FreeBSD using port tree.
see my post at http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6534

I don't find le serviio lib where the *.jar are. Have you an idea ?

The software you are asking about comes neither from Serviio's author nor from FreeBSD, thus, this may not be the best forum to ask questions... I replied to your topic, but I can not currently help you very much.
Previous

Return to NAS installation