Release 1.5 of Serviio includes a new Library Scanning Scheme - see http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=lib ... _mechanism. When a media file is added to, deleted from, or renamed within your shared folders, Serviio will now detect the change and update the Serviio library automatically. No more waiting for a timer - add a media file to a shared folder and it appears in your library near instantly.
There is one case where this does not occur. If you are a Windows user (cannot vouch for other OS's) and you download torrents directly to your shared folder, Serviio will not add the downloaded file to your library automatically. The reason for this is:
- When a torrent download commences, Windows adds the file to your shared folder, allocating the full size of the file (although initially empty);
- Serviio detects that the file has been added to your shared folder and attempts to add it to its library. At this stage however, not enough of the file has been downloaded for Serviio to read it effectively, so it will classify the file as a being non-media and will not add it to the library;
- With torrent downloads, the full size of the file being downloaded is allocate at the beginning of the download and the file is subsequently "filled in" as more parts are downloaded. As such, the file size does not change and there are no subsequent triggers to tell Serviio to update its library.
There are two ways to overcome this issue:
- If your bit torrent client has this feature: Have your downloads go to a temporary folder (that is not part of your shared folders path) and then set your client to move it to the destination folder after the download is complete; or
- If your bit torrent client has this feature: Run a program (attached) to perform a Forced Refresh of the Serviio Library after the download completes.
To use (uTorrent example):
- Download the program, unzip and store it on your drive;
- In uTorrent, select Options, Preferences, Advanced, Run Program and add the program to the :"Run this program when a torrent finishes" box. Press Save:
Hope this helps anyone that needs it. Please post instructions for other torrent clients if you find this useful.