FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Online resource repository

<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:30 pm

Online resource repository

This thread is to discuss and determine the requirements for a online resource repository. Something like "TheStreamDB.com - The Stream Database". http://www.thestreamdb.com/ or the RSS http://community-links.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/theStreamDB.xml

Where links can be stored and the different serviio consoles can connect and searching the resouces and allow adding to serviio.

1. Question online database? XML file?

2. Where to store it.

3. ways it could be searched and the results added to serviio
a. Maybe even a website that could be setup to add the resource straight to serviio?

This is an open discussion for all users and all ideas. Please feel free to discuss anything that you think will help get this working.
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:39 pm

Re: Online resource repository

thestreamdb was designed for xbmc users, why not create one just for serviio users?
Sony Bravia 2010 52NX803 - Sony PS3 - Xbox 360
Serviio running on QNAP NAS 639 Pro - 1.6 Intel Dual Core - 2GB RAM and QNAP NAS 121 - 2Ghz ARM Marvell - 1GB RAM
Console using ServiiDroid for Android, ServiiMetro and ServiiWP for Windows Phone and WebUI for iOS
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:41 pm

That is what we are discussing, what all we want in it, how is the data going to be stores, where is it going to be stored, and what all ways will the data be used.

I was just using the StreamDB as a example.
Mark
Beta Tester Group

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:04 pm

Think its best to focus on video feeds first, API access by apps and web ui

The table should include the following:
ID, Category, Language, Region, Title, URL, media source, media type, thumbnail, plugin

Example
ID- 4OD
Category - TV Programme
Language - English
Region - UK Only
Title - Come Dine With Me
URL - http://www.channel4.com/programmes/come ... ith-me/4od
Media Source - Web Resource
Media Type - Video
Thumbnail - Null
Plugin - Yes

Update: found a good free online database that can get data via webservices - http://grubba.net/
Serviio running on QNAP NAS 639 Pro - 1.6 Intel Dual Core - 2GB RAM and QNAP NAS 121 - 2Ghz ARM Marvell - 1GB RAM
Console using ServiiDroid for Android, ServiiMetro and ServiiWP for Windows Phone and WebUI for iOS
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:42 pm

this would require changes to serviios actual code before this is even possible, building the actual online repo site is the easy part, its the installer part that will be harder to do and thats a ZIp thing and not thord party.

i could build the actual site very easily, but zip would have to edot serviio to allow it to function correctly, cause once the file is pulled it would have to install itself to the correct folders and add information to the DB and that cant be done remotely.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:57 pm

We are adding feeds now using serviidroid and the other third party consoles using the serviio api. I am talking one feed not a file.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Mark
Beta Tester Group

<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:05 am

moltra wrote:We are adding feeds now using serviidroid and the other third party consoles using the serviio api. I am talking one feed not a file.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

i know that but my understand of it would be a self installer thats add btoh teh groovy and the db info all in one package.

ok will try and explain. you have a ZIP file containing an XML file and the groovy ( downloadable either from a repo of from this forum ). The xml file would contain all the information required for serviio db so then some interface on the console would look at the xml and enter relevent data to the db and install the groovy to plugin folder all on its own without users having to do anything.

so you would have

40D - Come Dine With Me.zip
|---- 40D - Come Dine With Me.xml
|---- 40D.groovy

then in the xml it would have all the db information.

<Source Type> Web Resource </Source Type>
<Source URL> http://www.channel4.com/programmes/come ... ith-me/4od </Source URL>
<Display Name> 4OD - Come Dine With Me </Display Name>
<Media Type> Video </Media Type>
<Thumbnail Url> Null </Thumbnail Url> <---- if content is not required the " Null " flag would tell serviio leave it blank/ignore it :) ( could also be used in the plugin field below )
<Plugin> 4OD.groovy </Plugin> <-- tells serviio that a plugin is required, what it is called in the package and to install it if it is not already installed.

maybe even a <feed number> field so that more than one feed can be added at same time.

its an easy concept idea but making it work (this is how joomla addons are installed), wont be easy to do i dont think.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:09 am

I like this. I was thinking about creating an onlibe db myself at some point but if you want go ahead. Obvouisly it'd have to have it's own API (REST) that Serviio could connect to and get :

- list of feeds
- list of plugins (maybe), with a current version
- download plugin resource
- get details of feed

You'd need some user friendly interface for adding and updating feeds/resources. It could also have an endpoint for providing updated URLs for existing live streams (for example).

This could be started as an online DB and the API can be added later, with Serviio's integration coming after that (up until that time users would have to enter the data manually). It might even be a public API so other applications can use it.

Hell, wrap the streams with adverts and you could even make some money ;-)
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:27 am

I started http://www.serviiDB.com I will start setting up the backend with the fields. If anyone has any requests for the Backend or the front end please let me know.

http://www.serviiDB.com
Mark
Beta Tester Group

<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:03 am

I am going to setup a mirror for any serviio related files. If you want me to mirror anything please let me know. The hosting I have setup has unlimited bandwidth.
Mark
Beta Tester Group

<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:37 am

zip wrote:I like this. I was thinking about creating an onlibe db myself at some point but if you want go ahead. Obvouisly it'd have to have it's own API (REST) that Serviio could connect to and get :

- list of feeds
- list of plugins (maybe), with a current version
- download plugin resource
- get details of feed

You'd need some user friendly interface for adding and updating feeds/resources. It could also have an endpoint for providing updated URLs for existing live streams (for example).

This could be started as an online DB and the API can be added later, with Serviio's integration coming after that (up until that time users would have to enter the data manually). It might even be a public API so other applications can use it.

Hell, wrap the streams with adverts and you could even make some money ;-)

im not sure moltra and myself are on same page with this, so imma move mine to seperate thread as to not derail his one :)

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5309
Last edited by Cerberus on Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

will

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:14 am

Here was my original ideas on this:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3686&p=31386&p31386#p31386

From a ui point of view for ServiiDroid this is what I would like for the user

Code:
Add feed -> Feed type
           - Manual
           - Automatic

Automatic -> Pick a source
           - 4oD (UK Only)
           - YouTube
           - Hulu (US Only)

4oD -> Enter a XXXX (e.g Enter a show name)
           - Manual show name             <-Sets up everything bar the show name, especailly useful for new shows
           - Come Dine With Me           <-Sets up everything
           - The inbetweeners

E.g. Add feed -> Automatic -> Pick a source -> YouTube -> Enter a username -> username

Remember, some will have differnt forms of urls, such as usernames and playlists for youtube, and we need to make it easy for the user to enter ones for
1) We know the options - e.g. a list of shows on 4oD - even still they should all describe how to manaully build the correct url
2) We don't know the options e.g youtube

From a mobile app point of view I would prefer not one big file. Rather one index file with the list of sources (4oD etc) and one file for each source. Eventually I would like the response to be in JSON as it is much nicer to work with, however If it has to only be xml for now then thats OK.

Going forward, I think we need to find a representative sample of online sources and look at how the urls for them are formed etc and draw out a spec that can describe them.

In the future, I would really like to be able to tell if a particular plugin is installed so that I can show a prompt saying, you don't have the 4oD plugin installed if users use this from my app.
@Zip, would this be possible for the next release - as in just /rest/loadedPlugins which returns a list of ID, filename, name ?
Will

ServiiDroid (Android Console) Developer: Download | Home | Support
ServiiGo (Android 3G/4G/WiFi Playback App) Developer: Download | Home | Support
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:14 am

will wrote:Here was my original ideas on this:

Code:
Add feed -> Feed type
           - Manual
           - Automatic

- 4oD (UK Only)
           - YouTube
           - Hulu (US Only)

- Manual show name             <-Sets up everything bar the show name, especailly useful for new shows
           - The inbetweeners

E.g. Add feed -> Automatic -> Pick a source -> YouTube -> Enter a username -> username

Remember, some will have differnt forms of urls, such as usernames and playlists for youtube, and we need to make it easy for the user to enter ones for
1) We know the options - e.g. a list of shows on 4oD - even still they should all describe how to manaully build the correct url

From a mobile app point of view I would prefer not one big file. Rather one index file with the list of sources (4oD etc) and one file for each source. Eventually I would like the response to be in JSON as it is much nicer to work with, however If it has to only be xml for now then thats OK.

Going forward, I think we need to find a representative sample of online sources and look at how the urls for them are formed etc and draw out a spec that can describe them.

In the future, I would really like to be able to tell if a particular plugin is installed so that I can show a prompt saying, you don't have the 4oD plugin installed if users use this from my app.
@Zip, would this be possible for the next release - as in just /rest/loadedPlugins which returns a list of ID, filename, name ?

This is more what I am looking at doing.
Mark
Beta Tester Group

<<

zip

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:14 pm

will wrote:Here was my original ideas on this:

Code:
Add feed -> Feed type
           - Manual
           - Automatic

- 4oD (UK Only)
           - YouTube
           - Hulu (US Only)

- The inbetweeners

Why not make it even easier, just have a 'search' method for predefined 'bundles' (e.g. The Inbetweeners, which defines WebResource typ, URL, and plugin (incl version, see below)), it'll find it on whichever service it's available (4od in our cas, but might be on youtube too). You could search for 'sky sports 1 hd' which would return the live stream 'bundle' (url + type of live stream + thumbnail url). In case of youtube I'd say we would just have a predefined set of feeds they could search for (keywords youtube, or last added youtube). The less fields to enter text to the better, especially for mobile devices.

The website has to have some security as well... you'll need a set of moderators that will be able to check if streams posted by random people are working, as well as the current url's are still working (even though that might be done by users marking it as a dead stream and a few votes would notify someone to re-check).

It might even serve as a plugin repository as well. Plugins would have to be versioned and specify min. Serviio version they work with.
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:41 pm

I am looking at using Drupal to create the site.

Code:
Drupal is software that allows an individual or a community of users to easily publish, manage and organize a great variety of content on a website. Tens of thousands of people and organizations have used Drupal to set up scores of different kinds of web sites

It comes with its own API that I hope I can get to do what I want to.

I create databases all the time for places I work, and I am planning this like I would a database.

Yes, the way I am looking at doing this is for new content to be added, is that the person will have to create an account, and have to be logged in to add content. This content will then have to be verified by a moderator. I am trying to ensure that the site cannot get me and anyone else involved with it in legal trouble.

Zip alot of the things you are talking about have been going through my mind since I got the domain name and hosting setup last night. I am still making sure, but the way I read the package I signed up for, I have unlimited bandwith. What I am not sure of is if that covers downloading files. But what I am reading implies that it does.

http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/web-hosting.aspx?ci=8971 deluxe 4GH package.

If anyone has any guidance for the disclaimer, I would love it.
Mark
Beta Tester Group

<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:10 pm

WOW! i just woke up reading the forum and im happy this idea is getting the go ahead!

@will - thats exactly what i wanted!! :)
i didnt even know username can be done on YouTube, i just add the most popular channels like RayWilliamJohnson, trailers, etc
this demonstrates how easy it can be for users new to Serviio without doing alot of research on the forum and other sites

@Cerberus - think this online database is the best solution, this can be maintained quickly and efficiently by trusted users, im sure jhb50 on this

@moltra - that was quick setting up domain name, liking the name, bit of inspiration from ServiiDroid

@zip - least this will put sometime off your workload of making your own DB.
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:15 pm

Thanks, I did get the idea for the name from ServiiDroid.

As I get this setup, I will be looking for moderators to help keep the database in working order. If anyone wants to volunteer, please let me know.
Mark
Beta Tester Group

<<

zip

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:18 pm

moltra wrote:Zip alot of the things you are talking about have been going through my mind since I got the domain name and hosting setup last night. I am still making sure, but the way I read the package I signed up for, I have unlimited bandwith. What I am not sure of is if that covers downloading files. But what I am reading implies that it does.

http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/web-hosting.aspx?ci=8971 deluxe 4GH package.

If anyone has any guidance for the disclaimer, I would love it.

My hosting comes with unlimited bandwidth but they won't allow downloading files. I'm sure it would not include generating files on the fly or JSON/XML documents sent to the user.
<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:23 pm

moltra wrote:Thanks, I did get the idea for the name from ServiiDroid.

As I get this setup, I will be looking for moderators to help keep the database in working order. If anyone wants to volunteer, please let me know.

I will be gladly onboard!! :D
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:51 pm

Xmantium wrote:@Cerberus - think this online database is the best solution, this can be maintained quickly and efficiently by trusted users, im sure jhb50 on this

Thats not my issue as all type will have to have some kind of online repo for the groovys and feed info ( be it as a db of as premade package) its how this is gunna be added to the serviio DB/plugin folder on users pc, and is this even including adding the groovy cause if its not then it seems kinda pointless to me, as we will still get same issues of user not having the correct plugin installed.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Next

Return to Third-party tools integration