FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

[OLD] ServiiGo - Android 3G/Wifi Playback App - Beta

<<

will

DLNA master

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:26 pm

[OLD] ServiiGo - Android 3G/Wifi Playback App - Beta

See the new thread at viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6803
Last edited by will on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Will

ServiiDroid (Android Console) Developer: Download | Home | Support
ServiiGo (Android 3G/4G/WiFi Playback App) Developer: Download | Home | Support
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:27 pm

Re: Android Media Browser/Playback App (3G/Wifi) - Early Pre

Reserved
Last edited by will on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will

<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:23 pm

nice one, I like Servii Go. Also, for the images, I like the design of this app for example: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-GB/apps/ ... 237de2db9e but some might prefer not square icons.
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:29 pm

Sounds like a great idea and knowing your work on serviidroid it will be a very stable usable app. I have a motorola Raxz Maxx and 2 droid 3's if you need it tested on different devices. Daughter has my old droid X.
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:45 am

zip wrote:nice one, I like Servii Go. Also, for the images, I like the design of this app for example: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-GB/apps/ ... 237de2db9e but some might prefer not square icons.

I quite like squares too, it certainly makes life easier for me as well as I don't have to try to position the text inteligently. The one down side of that is because of how the thumnails are generated, they look a bit crap if the apsect ratio is anything more than about 16:9. Anyway, changing the layout is easy, it is the final bit of work through supplying dimentions and positions for different screen sizes that takes the time, which is why I will only do it once if I can. The main focus of beta 1 will be testing the backend (navigation, ui performance, memory usage, image loading and caching).

moltra wrote:Sounds like a great idea and knowing your work on serviidroid it will be a very stable usable app. I have a motorola Raxz Maxx and 2 droid 3's if you need it tested on different devices. Daughter has my old droid X.

Thanks, although I made some pretty significant whoopsies in the early versions of ServiiDroid. Java is pretty easy to work with compared to some languages. Well once the beta is ready I hope that most of the beta testers with android devices will help.

I've just put together a square version and it looks very good, even with the odd blurry panoramic shot. (See first post)
Will

<<

will

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:34 pm

The app will include its own profile, at the moment this is just based off the flash player one, but using mpegts instead as it enabled multicore encoding. For now it doesn't really matter what format is spat out as long as the video player that you have installed can play it. However, if I write a custom video player at some point down the road, it would be much easier for me if it was always one format. Although not sure if it would ever be worth it, the benifit would be to play a video as it is downloaded, but then save it to the device for offline use/save a video to the device, and start playback before it has finished downloading.

This seams to work well, but my phone can only handle the LOW profile. I hope you can all test this out properly soon.

I'm going to write a basic audio player this week, and then should be ready to release the first beta around the weekend.
Last edited by will on Thu May 03, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will

<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:59 pm

I hope you will be fitting the real images into the square boxes. There is nothing worse than squashed aspect ratios or having arms and legs and letters cut off and blurring a picture by only blowing up the middle of a non square image. See viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5994&start=50#p43364 for my discussion with zip about this.
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:12 pm

jhb50 wrote:I hope you will be fitting the real images into the square boxes. There is nothing worse than squashed aspect ratios or having arms and legs and letters cut off and blurring a picture by only blowing up the middle of a non square image. See viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5994&start=50#p43364 for my discussion with zip about this.

Yes I saw that disscusion. Not 100% sure what I will do just yet for the small previews as there is no ideal solution, I may end up have a setting to switch between fitting by the smallest size and fitting by both.
Obviously clicking on the image shows the whole of it full screen.
Will

<<

zip

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:48 pm

It looks to me like most mobile apps actually use squares. It's just a viewpoint on the image so not sure cut faces etc matter much.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... wsMSwyLDNd
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=iphon ... 47&bih=768
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Thu May 03, 2012 5:15 pm

It looks like I’m going to have to implement a larger part of the general audio playback and management framework before I will have something usable so I’ve decided to leave audio support out of the first beta. I've uploaded the app to google play and you should be able to download it soon https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... m.serviigo .

Please treat google play as just a download service for now, all comments should go to the thread. Also bare in mind this is not anywhere near finished, there are lots of bugs, half implement and inconsistent layouts, most of the features are missing and i've made zero effort with styling/icons and images (any suggestions for the app's icon would be great). Also remember you need a Serviio 1.0 beta and the serviio go profile (viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6036#p43517) to use this app. If you aren't currently a serviio beta tester, and this app sounds like something you want to help with, then do sign up, however, make sure you are prepared to give feedback (to me AND zip).

That being said, there should be enough for you to start playing with. One thing i’ve been struggling to decide over is how to present the different data. Real folders (rather than virtual such as ‘Series’) present extra challenges because they can contain items and more sub folders. So please have a good browse around and tell me what you want shown in each view, I want to keep things as consistent as possible in the end (at the moment it is a mess to give you an idea of possible options), however I also want to tailor the views to the specific data, this will be a balancing act that will take a number of attempts to get right. As above, there is no audio support, you can browse around the audio views, but they don’t do anything and only show some data. Have a think about what is important to you for each different view.

Video brings up a detailed view, from which you can then launch playback using your prefered video player. I have spent very little time on the profile, so that will certainly be something that can be improved and as I can only playback 320x240 video, it will be up to you help me with that. I'll slowly be added all the known issues and missing features to bitbucket (http://tinyurl.com/c4sv3k4) so you will be able to see what I have/haven't done.

Highlights of the first release
  Code:
*[General] - Thumnail and image caches
*[Audio] - Limiting browsing only at the moment
*[Images] - Browse, view details and view medium quality image in full screen slideshow with pan/zoom and swipable next/previous navigation
*[Video] - Browse, view details and play low, medium or original quality video in an external player

Video works with MX Player, I'll try to get it to work with rockplayer.

If the app crashes in the sideshow it is probably because I've used much memory, I'm working on picking device specific memory cache sizes to balance not hitting the ~16-24mb limit and keeping load times down.

If you have a device without an SD card, it would be great if you could confirm for me that the image and thumnail cache are on the correct partition (e.g. the media one/the largest), look for a folder called ServiiGo with ThumbnailCache and ImageCache subfolders.
Will

<<

zip

Post Thu May 03, 2012 8:25 pm

Re: ServiiGo - Android 3G/Wifi Playback App - Beta

Screenshots look pretty cool. I'd fix the spacing in the image gallery (horizontal vs vertical space is different). The video details looks good too - I know the thumbnail is low resolution, but i wonder if something like this would be possible (background image, upscaled, monochrome....) http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en&sa ... 8,s:0,i:84
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Thu May 03, 2012 8:36 pm

zip wrote:Screenshots look pretty cool. I'd fix the spacing in the image gallery (horizontal vs vertical space is different). The video details looks good too - I know the thumbnail is low resolution, but i wonder if something like this would be possible (background image, upscaled, monochrome....) http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en&sa ... 8,s:0,i:84

Spacing is different because you define the width of one grid tile and tell it to fit as many as possiable, what fits one screen perfectly doesn't fit another. Next relesae I will get the width of the screen and then set the sizes and padding so that the spacing matches.

Yes they are pretty low res, i'll try and give that a go. I've been looking at how I might be able to get some higher quality thumbnails, especially for audio as users have come to expect high quality graphics in apps. There are a few unofficial IMDB API's for films say http://www.imdbapi.com/ will return the details plus a link to cover art e.g. (http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BM ... _SX320.jpg), how easy was themoviedb and thetvdb to intergrate with? Other thing was to see if I could extract the cover art out of the MP3s, although I haven't looked to see if ffmpeg preserves them.
Will

<<

zip

Post Thu May 03, 2012 8:57 pm

will wrote:Yes they are pretty low res, i'll try and give that a go. I've been looking at how I might be able to get some higher quality thumbnails, especially for audio as users have come to expect high quality graphics in apps. There are a few unofficial IMDB API's for films say http://www.imdbapi.com/ will return the details plus a link to cover art e.g. (http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BM ... _SX320.jpg), how easy was themoviedb and thetvdb to intergrate with? Other thing was to see if I could extract the cover art out of the MP3s, although I haven't looked to see if ffmpeg preserves them.

I could probably store themoviedb.org and thetvdb.com IDs so you could use their API's to get posters by the ID :-) For music, not sure. But upscale might work, it looks reasonbly good on the xbox, especially if you made it very subtle contrast, background-like image.
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Thu May 03, 2012 9:06 pm

zip wrote:I could probably store themoviedb.org and thetvdb.com IDs so you could use their API's to get posters by the ID :-) For music, not sure. But upscale might work, it looks reasonbly good on the xbox, especially if you made it very subtle contrast, background-like image.

That would make life a LOT easier for me :) Could you PM me a few example ones, would want to make sure it will work/the terms of their API allow it etc first.
Will

<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Fri May 04, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi will, thanks for the pm, app looks really good!
On my Android phone and tablet I use Mobo player.

Liking the name ServiiGo!
I havnt used the new MediaBrowser much, I'm probably the average user who mainly uses Serviio to play videos only to TV or console. So won't be able to test pictures and music much.
I would like to see the media browser intergrated into ServiiDroid.

I'll be having more time very soon to test it on 3G with trips to hospital as I'm waiting for arrival of baby Xmantium and 4 weeks pertinity time off starting next Tuesday. So expect loads of posts from me soon!
Sony Bravia 2010 52NX803 - Sony PS3 - Xbox 360
Serviio running on QNAP NAS 639 Pro - 1.6 Intel Dual Core - 2GB RAM and QNAP NAS 121 - 2Ghz ARM Marvell - 1GB RAM
Console using ServiiDroid for Android, ServiiMetro and ServiiWP for Windows Phone and WebUI for iOS
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Sat May 05, 2012 7:33 am

Xmantium wrote:Hi will, thanks for the pm, app looks really good!
On my Android phone and tablet I use Mobo player.

Liking the name ServiiGo!
I havnt used the new MediaBrowser much, I'm probably the average user who mainly uses Serviio to play videos only to TV or console. So won't be able to test pictures and music much.
I would like to see the media browser intergrated into ServiiDroid.

I'll be having more time very soon to test it on 3G with trips to hospital as I'm waiting for arrival of baby Xmantium and 4 weeks pertinity time off starting next Tuesday. So expect loads of posts from me soon!

Just tested Mobo player and it works fine, so I'll add that to the list.

Yep, Serviio on the go with ServiiGo.

What do you mean by intergrated with ServiiDroid? In the future I may add button to go directly from an online source entry in ServiiDroid, to the equvilant online source in ServiiGo so that you can launch playback, and allow clicking on the new files notification to launch last added folder if it is a video. But other than that ServiiGo will be where anything media browser releated will live as they are very different from an internal point of view and it didn't make sense to keep them as two apps.

Congrats to you both.
Will

<<

will

DLNA master

Post Mon May 07, 2012 4:42 pm

I've uploaded a small update to address a FC that is happening. The other notable change is the high quality cover art for movies (only via Movies virtual folder at the moment), i'll be adding more info from TMDb and TVDB in future releases, but wanted to get the fix out first.

Code:
==== Beta 2 ====
*Hide duration for live steams
*Fixed FC due to NPE in login code
*Extract the show name and season and episode number from the title of videos
*Added high quality cover art for movies provided by TMDb
*Added third party libraries to about dialog
Will

<<

jjslegacy

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue May 08, 2012 3:38 pm

will wrote:I've uploaded a small update to address a FC that is happening. The other notable change is the high quality cover art for movies (only via Movies virtual folder at the moment), i'll be adding more info from TMDb and TVDB in future releases, but wanted to get the fix out first.

Code:
==== Beta 2 ====
*Hide duration for live steams
*Fixed FC due to NPE in login code
*Extract the show name and season and episode number from the title of videos
*Added high quality cover art for movies provided by TMDb
*Added third party libraries to about dialog

With the latest version I can't get anything to work. It logs in but the left pane just shows loading forever. I am running 4.0.4 ics on a touchpad
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Tue May 08, 2012 3:55 pm

Did the progress spinner keep going or did it stop, did pressing menu->refresh do anythign? Can you try menu -> logout and log in again, can you also comfirm the mediabrowser is still working, and try restarting serviio (beta 2 had some issues with the CDS API that zip has fixed for the next release)

If that doesn't work i'll send you a build with debug logging turned on.
Will

<<

jjslegacy

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue May 08, 2012 4:05 pm

will wrote:Did the progress spinner keep going or did it stop, did pressing menu->refresh do anythign? Can you try menu -> logout and log in again, can you also comfirm the mediabrowser is still working, and try restarting serviio (beta 2 had some issues with the CDS API that zip has fixed for the next release)

If that doesn't work i'll send you a build with debug logging turned on.

The progress bar is there for a second and disappears. refresh shows the same, logging in and out shows the same. I have restarted the touchpad, serviio etc. The mediabrowser works fine from the touchpad through the web.

If you have a debug version we can dig deeper - not quite sure what's going on.
Next

Return to Third-party tools integration