FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

ServiiGo (Android 3G/4G/Wifi Playback App)

<<

will

DLNA master

Post Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:15 am

Re: ServiiGo (Android 3G/4G/Wifi Playback App)

23423 is for the console (and ServiiDroid) 23424 is for ServiiGo and the media browser. If I have instructions for one on the other's site that's a typo.

Do you have a firewall other than the windows one as it might allow access from your network, but not the Internet by default.

I'll look at the stream tonight to see if I can get it to work. And yes, all feedback is very much appreciated.
Will

ServiiDroid (Android Console) Developer: Download | Home | Support
ServiiGo (Android 3G/4G/WiFi Playback App) Developer: Download | Home | Support
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:28 am

Small update, I had completely overlooked live audio streams during beta testing. It was crashing when working out how far through the live steam it was. I'll improve the layout for live audio steams in the music player itself in a later update, for now it works.

Code:
==== 1.0.4 ====
*Fixed FC in the music player when listening to live streams
*Improved display of live streams in the audio views
Will

<<

JohninLA

Serviio lover

Post Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:27 pm

Thanks for your help everyone. I am stumped, I have opened the port in my router and opened the port in Windows Firewall. I have no other firewall running. I cannot open that port and I don't know why. I'll play with this awhile, and see what else I can find out.

I'm anxious to use ServiiGo as it's really what I want. I want access to my files on the go. I'm looking forward to getting this running.

Thanks again.
<<

JohninLA

Serviio lover

Post Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:50 pm

I just thought...I have my cable modem, which has a router, but I have it in bridge mode, using my Vizio router as my wireless router, if that changes anything???
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:00 pm

Possibly, depends on the cable modem, check to see if it has options to forward all ports to the rotuer.
Will

<<

will

DLNA master

Post Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:39 pm

I should be able to do some proper dev work next week.

Any requests for the next big release? (see the website for some ideas or suggest something new)
Will

<<

will

DLNA master

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:31 pm

@zip Someone has requested access groups for ServiiGo. Not really sure how this would be implemented... (a different password per group maybe?)
Will

<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:28 pm

like access to folders for different mobile phones? atm there is only one user of the CDS API, so not sure how that would work.
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:48 pm

Yes they want the same DLNA access group control for devices using the CDS API.
Not sure either, cannot use IP so either have to exchange and save an ID per device, or do something different per access group.
Will

<<

csdibiase

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:18 pm

I'm running into an interesting problem with ServiiGo.

So last night I finally noticed the upgrade to Serviio 1.0.1, I applied it, and subsequently ended up rebuilding x264, ffmpeg etc. At this point I can stream content from Serviio through BubbleUPnP to MXPlayer on the Nexus S and FT101 devices I own. I can also view content via Flowplayer in a web browser. For the sake of testing, everything is being done on my local WiFi (802.11n).

When I try to stream content via ServiiGo at it's original resolution (SD-480p) MXPlayer sits and infinitely buffers. If I drop down to medium or low MXPlayer on both devices starts to function. This is okay on the Nexus S, but looks poor on the larger screen of the TF101. Additionally i have transcoding disabled and want to avoid transcoding in general as the server running Serviio is an older HP MediaSmart LX195 I converted to run Ubuntu Server instead of Windows Home Server.

I did test with a variety of source files, although all are m4v's.

I'd really like to get this working so I can put the BubbleUPnP Server out to pasture. It would be nice to have one less software package running on the home server, and that one lacks a proper init.d script.
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:27 pm

Had you previously used Serviio 1.0 with ServiiGo (wasn't clear from your post). In MX Player, did you try switching to S/W (Fast) decoding? Original setting by default won't touch the video so no transcoding, medium/low obviously requires transcoding to a lower resolution. It may be that remuxing the videos will sort it out. Can you provide ffmpeg -i for a file.

Do they play fine using DLNA app to browse for content. There seems to be a difference in how MX Player and others detect videos when delivered from DLNA apps, although I'm not sure why or how as the headers are the same and so is the file when using Original. I may have to pester them to try it out and improve support. The only difference I can think of is that the CDS API web server doesn't support the Range requests that the built in android media subsystem uses (its something like it only supports giving a start and end, not just a start and asking for this start onwards), which is I think different to what the DLNA web server supports, so it errors and falls back to a different detection mechanisum and gets stuck. I'm only speculating though.

@zip have you had any more thoughts about seeking/range requests and the idea I had about using a hash that includes the transcoded filename for the ETag filed so that seeking can be supported for audio/video in the same way it is for DLNA? You said something about using a custom paramter to skip, but that would mean that I would have to build in a video player which is unlikely to happen any time soon in order to use it with ServiiGo.
Will

<<

csdibiase

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:57 pm

will wrote:Had you previously used Serviio 1.0 with ServiiGo (wasn't clear from your post). In MX Player, did you try switching to S/W (Fast) decoding? Original setting by default won't touch the video so no transcoding, medium/low obviously requires transcoding to a lower resolution. It may be that remuxing the videos will sort it out. Can you provide ffmpeg -i for a file.

Do they play fine using DLNA app to browse for content. There seems to be a difference in how MX Player and others detect videos when delivered from DLNA apps, although I'm not sure why or how as the headers are the same and so is the file when using Original. I may have to pester them to try it out and improve support. The only difference I can think of is that the CDS API web server doesn't support the Range requests that the built in android media subsystem uses (its something like it only supports giving a start and end, not just a start and asking for this start onwards), which is I think different to what the DLNA web server supports, so it errors and falls back to a different detection mechanisum and gets stuck. I'm only speculating though.

@zip have you had any more thoughts about seeking/range requests and the idea I had about using a hash that includes the transcoded filename for the ETag filed so that seeking can be supported for audio/video in the same way it is for DLNA? You said something about using a custom paramter to skip, but that would mean that I would have to build in a video player which is unlikely to happen any time soon in order to use it with ServiiGo.

I went strait from Serviio 0.6.2 to 1.0.1, so this is my first pass at getting all this working.

Here's the ffmpeg -i dump for one of the test videos:
  Code:
ffmpeg version N-42368-gbf53863 Copyright (c) 2000-2012 the FFmpeg developers
  built on Aug 14 2012 00:58:12 with gcc 4.6.3
  configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-libfaac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libx264 --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc --enable-version3 --enable-x11grab --enable-libvpx --enable-librtmp --enable-libxvid
  libavutil      51. 64.100 / 51. 64.100
  libavcodec     54. 33.100 / 54. 33.100
  libavformat    54. 15.102 / 54. 15.102
  libavdevice    54.  1.100 / 54.  1.100
  libavfilter     3.  1.100 /  3.  1.100
  libswscale      2.  1.100 /  2.  1.100
  libswresample   0. 15.100 /  0. 15.100
  libpostproc    52.  0.100 / 52.  0.100
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'Puss In Boots.m4v':
  Metadata:
    major_brand     : mp42
    minor_version   : 0
    compatible_brands: mp42isomavc1
    creation_time   : 2012-07-23 00:29:21
    encoder         : HandBrake 0.9.8 2012071800
  Duration: 01:30:12.58, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 913 kb/s
    Stream #0:0(und): Video: h264 (Main) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p, 718x368 [SAR 32:27 DAR 1436:621], 742 kb/s, 23.98 fps, 59.94 tbr, 90k tbn, 180k tbc
    Metadata:
    Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: aac (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 164 kb/s
    Metadata:
    Stream #0:2(eng): Subtitle: mov_text (tx3g / 0x67337874)
    Metadata:
    Stream #0:3(und): Subtitle: mov_text (text / 0x74786574)
    Metadata:

The interesting thing is that ServiiGo reports the original and medium resolutions are the same, probably because I'm starting with SD sized video content.

Again, when testing on the local LAN/WLAN using BubbleUPnP on my android devices, I can stream without transcoding no problem. The main driver behind playing with ServiiGo and Serviio Pro is my desire to eliminate the separate server application to thunk DNLA traffic off the local LAN. I'm not aiming to enable internet access actually. I'm a bit of a security nut, so I'm actually using OpenVPN to allow remote access into my home network. The side effect of using OpenVPN for this is that VPN clients are kept on a separate subnet, so the DNLA servers can not be seen by a VPN client without help.

I repeated the tests via the VPN connection and found the same results.

As requested I did try forcing MXPlayer to drop to s/w (fast). When trying to stream "original" there was no difference. I did note that streaming in "medium" (again the same resolution) resulted in MXPlayer dropping to S/w (fast) automatically.

edit: one final interesting note - When streaming, it does look like something is spinning up an instance of ffmpeg. The command string (using pidstat) looks like its from my test stream, though the process lives on after I terminate the stream on the client end. The process is owned by the serviio user so it's being invoked by Serviio. This is rather undesirable since my little Atom based server isn't really up to the take of real time video transcoding :)
  Code:
02:00:39 PM       PID    %usr %system  %guest    %CPU   CPU  Command
02:00:39 PM      9414    0.54    0.00    0.00    0.54     1  ffmpeg -i /data/external/videos/Puss In Boots.m4v -y -threads 1 -copyts -c:v mpeg2video -b:v 1000k -maxrate:v 1000k -bufsize:v
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:16 pm

Yes, Medium is the same resolution as Original in your case so it won't tell ffmpeg to resize it, but it does have a lower bit rate of 1Mbit/s and because of this ServiiGo forces transcoding (which is the ffmpeg process that was left running).

Try putting this in the ServiiGo profile instead of the commented out video stuff (in config/application-profiles.xml). And if that doesn't work remove the container match. This will re-packge the video and audio which will require very little cpu time.

Code:
<Video targetContainer="mpegts">
            <Matches container="mp4" aCodec="aac" vCodec="h264"/>
</Video> 

On the note of transcoding which processor is it, my one (D525) is quite happy with transcoding to SD, and medium and low have very low bit rates so are pretty quick.
Will

<<

csdibiase

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:23 pm

will wrote:Yes, Medium is the same resolution as Original in your case so it won't tell ffmpeg to resize it, but it does have a lower bit rate of 1Mbit/s and because of this ServiiGo forces transcoding (which is the ffmpeg process that was left running).

Try putting this in the ServiiGo profile instead of the commented out video stuff (in config/application-profiles.xml). And if that doesn't work remove the container match. This will re-packge the video and audio which will require very little cpu time.

Code:
</Video> 

On the note of transcoding which processor is it, my one (D525) is quite happy with transcoding to SD, and medium and low have very low bit rates so are pretty quick.

That bit of code did the trick. For the sake of completeness the serviiGo block in /usr/share/serviio/config/application-profiles.xml now reads:
  Code:
        <Profile id="serviigo" name="ServiiGo" extendsProfileId="1" alwaysEnableTranscoding="true" selectable="false">
                <Transcoding>
                <!-- Some devices support HW decoding when h264 is wrapped in mpegts, while others do not.
            If HW decoding does not work for you when playing back h264, you can try to uncomment
            the below Video block. -->
                 <!--   <Matches container="matroska" vCodec="h264" />
                    <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="h264" />
                    <Matches container="avi" vCodec="h264" />
                    <Matches container="mpegts" vCodec="h264" />
                    <Matches container="3gp" vCodec="h264" /> -->
                 </Video>         

I verified it with both devices. I did have to logoff in ServiiGo and stop and restart the Serviio service. (I've deployed serviio with the init.d scripts elsewhere on the forums).

Side note: Scrubbing in MXPlayer sort of works, I can at least change position in the video, though as you mentioned elsewhere in the thread scrubbing doesn't work the same for the Serviio API as it does for DNLA direct.

Thanks for the assistance! I appreciate it!
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:22 am

Thats good.

Yes I would ideally like the experience when using ServiiGo is the same as when using a DLNA app to browser for content at least when selecting original as it is exactly the same video.
Will

<<

csdibiase

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:43 pm

will wrote:Thats good.

Yes I would ideally like the experience when using ServiiGo is the same as when using a DLNA app to browser for content at least when selecting original as it is exactly the same video.

Have you thought of including traditional DNLA functionality in ServiiGo for LAN connections and only leveraging the API for offlink or remote connections? Either way, I like where the app is. Thanks for the hard work :)
<<

Fleetship1

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:43 am

Hi all,

I have installed Serviio 1.0.1 Server on my DS212j and ServiiGo 1.0.4 on my Galaxy W (both with donate key eg. license).
It works really good but different mp3-files are not able to play (by clicking the file, the player show the file but didn´t start play).
There are any restrictions about mp3 or other files cbr/vbr, 320kb?

Thanks & regards
Fleetship1
DS212j | Samsung UE40ES7090 | Sony BDP-S480 | modded xecuter Xbox 1
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:53 am

Can you post ffmpeg -i for the file, i'm looking into it but it seems to be when the cover art is embeded as a video track. I'm looking into forcing the android media player api it ignore it (as it must be possible as you don't have the problem playing back locally), or else I can strip it out in a profile.
Will

<<

Fleetship1

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:22 pm

Hi Will,

thank you for your fast support. A picture is embeded. However, after restart my phone all files (also with embedded pictures) was playing successfully.

Thanks & Regards,
Fleetship1
DS212j | Samsung UE40ES7090 | Sony BDP-S480 | modded xecuter Xbox 1
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:51 pm

Here is a preview of 1.1 which I want to release before the weekend. (You can install it over the one from Google Play, and once 1.1 is on Google Play you should be able to update straight to it using Google Play without any uninstalling).
In additition to lots of little fixes and music player improvements (lock screen controls on ICS, Jelly bean notifications), I'm trying to improve browsing videos. First part is using a grid (only activated on tablets/large phones on landscape), but I'm also playing around with the thumbnails and text a bit. I would like a bit of feedback/suggestions on the proportions/anything else I could do. Remember that the height has to stay the same for each view, so it isn't perfect as I have to account for folders (which I can only really give a name and content count for), movie with poster and text, and a normal video with a wide thumbnail all being there at once.

I would also like to have an icon for each of the two top level entries (image, audio, video but also artists, movies, series, online etc...) if anyone knows a good source of fairly minimalistic icons that would be great).
Last edited by will on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will

PreviousNext

Return to Third-party tools integration