FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

PBS videos on Serviio 1.3.1

<<

bigfootnlc

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:50 pm

PBS videos on Serviio 1.3.1

Greetings:

Apologies in advance as I'm a newbie to the entire concept of internet video, etc.

I've got Serviio working great for photos and audio between my PC and television, but cannot seem to get internet, specifically PBS, videos to connect. So, a few questions:

1. Will this be considered a 'Web Resource' or a 'Live Stream'? I'm thinking a web resource.
2. Some of the documentation leads me to believe that to view web resources across Serviio requires a plug-in of some sort. I've yet to find one for PBS. There is one for PBSKids...
3. For the URL, is it the exact URL that I would use in my browser for a particular video, or is there a way to get it to be able to browse a website looking for videos?
4. Can anyone assist me in this endeavor?

Some more specific examples on the website would be beneficial. ;)

This would seem to be a fairly straight-forward project, but so far has me stumped.

Thanks!!

Neil
<<

Apostate

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:18 pm

Re: PBS videos on Serviio 1.3.1

Here is the plugin for PBS.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4370

It was buried down in page 4.

I do believe you do set it as "Web Resource" and have to specify URL for each program/show. As to the specific path for each program, I thought I saw it here somewhere... This is not a difficult thing. You can simply go the webpage and cut and paste the URL.

I hope I was helpful but, as a fellow newbie, my knowledge is rather limited and I am pretty much tapped out of it. :P

Edit: When I say specific path for each program/show, I don't mean a particular episode, i.e., episode 3. I meant there is a general program/show page where you can access various episodes. I hope I was a bit clearer.
<<

bigfootnlc

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:36 am

Thanks for the reply!

However, I'm going to disappoint you in that this hasn't worked for me, so far.

The documentation indicates that it may take 'a moment' before the programs start showing up. How long is a typical moment in your experience?

Also, in looking at the contents of the plugin file, it looks like it might be necessary to tweak it to fit your individual program needs, meaning making multiple copies for different titles, I think. Has this been your experience with it?

Thanks!!
<<

Apostate

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:24 pm

Yes, it may take a while for programs to show up. I believe the default "refresh" is set at 24 hours(?) in the Serviio console. You can change that to 1 hour as I recall.

As to your second question, the answer is yes. For example, you have to create separate "item" (for lack of a better term) for each program, I.e., one for NOVA, one for Nature. You have to input the URL for each program/show (not episodes). Once you have inputted the correct URL, you should see a listing of episodes for the program/show.
<<

bigfootnlc

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:36 pm

Just to clarify - I'm thinking I need to add multiple lines in the Library/Online Sources tab on the Serviio Console, but NOT multiple copies of the plug-in (one to match each line entry)?
<<

Apostate

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:48 am

Yes, that is my understanding. Once you place, let's say, PBS plugin into the Serviio plugin folder, you are done. Now all you have to do is add URL (add lines) for each PBS program in the Library/Online source tab.
<<

Apostate

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:02 am

The PBS plugin is no good. I actually bothered to read past first several posts in the PBS plugin thread and it turns out that the plugin doesn't really work. :(

My apologies for raising false hope.

According to the thread, there is a roundabout way of getting some PBS shows. Hulu.com apparently carries certain PBS shows and you can access them via Hulu.com plugin.
<<

bigfootnlc

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:10 am

bummer...

Thanks, anyway!!

Return to Available plugins