FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Is it possible?

<<

annonemoose

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:55 pm

Is it possible?

I'm a coder. I'm trying to find a way to watch my craft classes on my TV. I've enrolled in a craft class at http://www.craftsy.com/ You can sign up for free and enroll in a free class if you'd like/need to take a closer look. But here's the issue. These streams require signing in to be able to view because they are associated with an online account. Unlike youtube where you can watch without signing in, for the most part.

Is that possible? What I'm trying to do is save some time. If this is not possible then my reading all the documentation is a waste of time. However if it is possible I'm good to go read all the docs. Currently they use the Kaltura video player and at times I've seen reference to streaming from Kaltura servers as well as streaming from Amazon servers.

I'm not asking you to code anything for me. Just tell me if this should be possible. If yes I'll start reading.
Thanks guys,
-Moosie
<<

r-win

DLNA master

Post Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:49 pm

Re: Is it possible?

At first, I've never even checked out that site, so my response may be trash talking :smile:

In general, movie files can be direct linked, but not always. If you really need the login, then you can use the OpenConnection method of the URL class. Using that, you can send raw http requests, and you'll be able to login into whatever website you need.

Be prepared to get your hands dirty though. Not that it's extremely difficult, but it's not a ride in the park either.
Linksys WRT320N | Samsung PS-50C7700 | Microsoft XBOX 360 | Windows 8.1 | Linux Ubuntu 13.04
<<

annonemoose

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:01 pm

r-win wrote:At first, I've never even checked out that site, so my response may be trash talking :smile:

In general, movie files can be direct linked, but not always. If you really need the login, then you can use the OpenConnection method of the URL class. Using that, you can send raw http requests, and you'll be able to login into whatever website you need.

Be prepared to get your hands dirty though. Not that it's extremely difficult, but it's not a ride in the park either.

Thank you for the information. Ok so three is a way into it. Hmmm OpenConnection URL class that sounds like Java? Is it? Are the plugins Java based?
<<

r-win

DLNA master

Post Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:44 pm

The plugins are written in Groovy, so... yes, Java based.
Linksys WRT320N | Samsung PS-50C7700 | Microsoft XBOX 360 | Windows 8.1 | Linux Ubuntu 13.04
<<

annonemoose

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:53 pm

r-win wrote:The plugins are written in Groovy, so... yes, Java based.

Thank you r-win. You have been very kind and helpful. My native language is C/C++ but I've dabbled in Java a bit over the years. So I maybe in luck and this might not be as terrible as I thought.
Thank you again and now to the documentation and to tweak my IDE for this,
-Moosie

Return to Plugin development