FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Toshiba 48L5435DG, Synology NAS Serviio package & subtitles

<<

EliCA85

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:56 pm

Toshiba 48L5435DG, Synology NAS Serviio package & subtitles

Hi everyone,
I just bought this Toshiba 48L5435DG Smart TV: an enjoyable midrange TV at a fair price supporting DLNA (http://www.toshiba.eu/television/consum ... 48l5435dg/).
Since I also own a Synology DS212j, I installed the Serviio package for Synology NAS following these instructions: http://pcloadletter.co.uk/2012/01/25/se ... o-package/.

After starting Serviio on my Synology, I successfully used the Serviio-console package (Mac version) to connect and configure it and I:
1) enabled subtitles
2) manually switched the renderer profile for my TV (it doesn't seem to get properly auto detected) to "Toshiba REGZA 2012-"
3) put some folders containing MKV + SRT files (same name) into my media library

After that, I started browsing the media library from my TV and noticed something weird: all the MKV files are correctly browsable but, at the bottom of the file browser, there are all the SRT files and they all appear having the same name: "SUBTITLES.SRT" :shock: .

If I play one of the MKV, it plays flawlessly without subtitles. When I press the "Subtitles" button on my remote control, it lets me pick one of the "SUBTITLES.SRT" file stated above and then the selected subtitles start displaying with no issues!
Of course, it's almost impossible to "guess" which is the right SRT to pick (since they all have the same name) and I wouldn't like to end up trying 10-15 files each time I want to watch something ;)
Is there any way to address that issue?

I can provide any log you need, just need some directions in order to retrieve them from the Synology NAS: I looked into /volume2/@appstore/Serviio/log/serviio.log on my NAS but nothing actually helped me there.

Thank you in advance for your support!
Best regards
<<

EliCA85

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: Toshiba 48L5435DG, Synology NAS Serviio package & subtit

Hello, I apparently fixed my issue (needs more testing though) by using Synology Media Server and tweaking its "Toshiba" profile.
If you need more details in order to improve Serviio I'll be glad to help, feel free to ask.

Best regards
<<

Eu1985

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:09 am

I have the exact same TV model, might I ask you how you got to tweak the Toshiba TV profile in Synology Media Server?
I am lost, trying to figure out a way to enable external SRT subtitles... :?
<<

Eu1985

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:23 pm

EliCA85 wrote:Hello, I apparently fixed my issue (needs more testing though) by using Synology Media Server and tweaking its "Toshiba" profile.
If you need more details in order to improve Serviio I'll be glad to help, feel free to ask.

Best regards

This is the solution EliCA85 found and it works for me too.
I post it here as well, in case anybody falls here from Google.

1) log into your Synology NAS as root - here how to via SSH or Telnet: http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.ph ... _Interface
2) edit (you can use vi) /volumeX/@appstore/MediaServer/etc/agent.conf (X = volume number where you installed the Synology Media Server package)
3) append the following lines to your agent.con (change "profileName" to whatever you like most)
Make sure you don't mess up with the file syntax or Synology Media Server may stop working properly; best option is to make a backup copy before editing.
  Code:
{
   "profileName":"Toshiba TV CUSTOM",
   "dlna":"yes",
   "agentopt":"xpvsubtitle videosubtitleitem xlibdlnamodule",
   "profileID": {
      "modelDescription":"TOSHIBA_LCD_TV"
   }
}

4) apply your new profile to your Toshiba TV (Synology management GUI -> Media Server -> DMA Compatibiliy -> Device List)

My many thanks to EliCA85, again! ;)

Return to Toshiba