FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

server loading at boot time

<<

repeters

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:37 pm

server loading at boot time

Please add the option to inhibit the loading of the server at boot time.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:31 pm

Re: server loading at boot time

<<

repeters

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:04 pm

zip wrote:There are ways to disable the Windows service or Mac daemon.

http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=control_win
http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=mac ... _autostart

Thanks for the information.

However, once the changes are made the console application won't launch since the server isn't running. What I was looking for was a way to inhibit the auto-launch of the server but still be able to enable the server from the console program.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:34 am

So what you want is to be able to launch the console without the server running, and be able to start and stop the server service from the console itself. Is that accurate?
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

repeters

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:28 am

atc98092 wrote:So what you want is to be able to launch the console without the server running, and be able to start and stop the server service from the console itself. Is that accurate?

Yes, that is exactly what I would like to be able to do.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:32 pm

Console re-design is on the drawing board, so may be worth considering as part of that.

The current "Start Server" and "Stop Server" in the Console doesn't add a lot of value imho as it doesn't start or stop the Serviio service. The ability to start and stop the service from the console would be beneficial, and that then implies that the console must be able to run while the service is stopped.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:52 pm

This is a client-server application, so the console will not start without the server.
<<

repeters

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:25 pm

zip wrote:This is a client-server application, so the console will not start without the server.

Clearly, I don't know any of the details of the application. I would, however, like to make one observation.

When the server is automatically launched at boot time I can open the console side and stop the server. If I then quit the console application and open it again it opens with the server still stopped. I can then start the server from within the console application. Why can't this behavior be incorporated into the console the first time it launches if that is what the user desires?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:42 pm

repeters wrote:
zip wrote:This is a client-server application, so the console will not start without the server.

Clearly, I don't know any of the details of the application. I would, however, like to make one observation.

When the server is automatically launched at boot time I can open the console side and stop the server. If I then quit the console application and open it again it opens with the server still stopped. I can then start the server from within the console application. Why can't this behavior be incorporated into the console the first time it launches if that is what the user desires?

Actually, the button on the console does not stop the actual Serviio service. It only disables the DLNA server. The service is still running.

If I had to guess, the console itself can't access the database unless the service is running. This would account for why Zip says the console won't run without the service running. Of course, I could be all wet here, too! :lol:
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

repeters

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:08 pm

atc98092 wrote:
repeters wrote:

Actually, the button on the console does not stop the actual Serviio service. It only disables the DLNA server. The service is still running.

If I had to guess, the console itself can't access the database unless the service is running. This would account for why Zip says the console won't run without the service running. Of course, I could be all wet here, too! :lol:

Thanks. That's some good information.

I guess what I am asking for is a method to configure the console so that the DLNA server can be enabled or disabled at boot time. That seems like a simple modification...based on my ignorance of the code, of course :)

Return to Feature requests