FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

iPad renderer support

<<

vsuazo

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:56 am

iPad renderer support

I installed serviio and w/ a few tweaks learned from this forum I can stream video/images/music to our new Sony Bravia KDL-55HX800. I have "Plug Player" installed on my iPad to browse/play media on the Sony.
One request, a profile for the iPad/iPhone to render content from serviio server. I can view pictures and play "non iTunes" music but I cannot stream videos to the iPad.

Thanks
Vaughn
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:25 am

Re: iPad renderer support

Could you have a look at this link: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19
Help to provide supported formats of a DLNA device (iPad )
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
<<

Lowlander

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:04 pm

Hi there,

anything new on an iPad/iPhone profile? From what I've learnt from various Apps, those devices are basically down to H.264 video and AAC audio in an MP4 container. There is a page on the Alpha Media Link player website that defines a DLNA profile it expects, too.

[url]http://www.alpha.co.jp/biz/products/dlna/mlplayer/en/mediaformat.shtml[/url]

Can we transcode to such a format with serviio? If we can't, I think we won't need to dig further into device properties etc. Due to the lack of codecs coming with Apple devices I'm pretty sure we have to provide a fitting format this time, instead of tricking the device into playing by faking the videos' properties.

CU,
Low
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:30 pm

It looks like it only plays h264/AAC in MP4 - a container that is not suitable for transcoding. Therefore only native playback will be possible. If you can find a video like that and try playing it, we could confirm that.

If it still doesn't play, we migh have to create a profile that will rename Serviio's profile into AVC_MP4_BL_CIF15_AAC_520 which is supported by the player.
<<

Lowlander

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:11 pm

Zip,

I can confirm that 2 of 3 DLNA-apps (MLPLayer Lite and PlugPlayer) do indeed play an MP4 (H264/AAC) file on my iPhone via Serviio's generic Profile. 3 of 3 players do not play an MPEG2TS. Haven't tried any other formats yet, but I think that's just about it.

CU,
Low
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:53 am

I don't have an iPad, but plan to get one once they get more than 256MB of RAM. I recall having read somewhere that they only do hardware decode of H.264 when played through the official QuickTime Player, and that 3rd party apps have no access to this feature. Is that still true? If so that must really waste battery.
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

Lowlander

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:48 am

Here's some promising news on the Apple handheld front:

I bought "AirPlayer" for my iPhone, and it instantly played ALL videos off my Serviio machine. And that's with a Sony BDP profile. There is massive stutter with 720p H264 / AC3 5.1 files though, and sync probs with MPEG2TS, but the codecs are there, and keeping in mind that my Sony Profile delivers those videos nativeley, the playback performance of the little bugger is pretty good.

If anybody of our iPeople could confirm this, it may be worthwile to start working on an iPad/iPhone profile. AirPlayer seems to come with at least a few common codecs other than H264 and AAC, so I think we should be able to find one of them that matches Serviio's transcoding abilities. Here (http://olimsoft.wordpress.com/category/software/) is some information on AirPlayer:

- With iPhone 3gs or iPod generation 3 32G/64G, You can stream almost any formats of video from your media server, XVID, AVI, RMVB, MKV, MOV, MP4, M4V etc.
- With iPhone 3gs or iPod generation 3 32G/64G, You can stream almost any formats of music from your media server, MP3, WMA, OGG, AAC etc.
- With earlier iPhone/iPod , You can use QuickTime plugin to view limited media formats, MOV, MP4, M4V, MP3, WMA, MP3, AAC.

The more recent appstore page states that AirPlayer works on iPhone, iPod and iPad. Decoding seems to happen on the handheld's CPU (and not hardware based like the native codecs) I suppose, so we could get smooth playback if we kept the target bitrate low enough.

Just to be sure: Serviio does not yet auto detect different devices to provide matching profiles, does it?

CU,
Low

Return to Feature requests