FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Automatic recognition of DVD/BD directory tries

<<

kot

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:12 am

Automatic recognition of DVD/BD directory tries

Some movies in my online collection are straight directory-dumps of the DVDs. Each individual .VOB file is listed separately by Serviio...

I'd think, it would be more useful for the server to recognize the VIDEO_TS directory as special and create the equivalent of pressing "Play Movie" on the DVD's menu on the fly automatically. If the DVD contains multiple audio options, it would be nice to see the same movie listed multiple times -- so that the desired audio-track can be picked using the TV's remote.

BlueRay's may be more complicated, but DVDs are fairly well-known, aren't they?
FreeBSD port of Serviio is now in the tree. Please, try using it and share your experience.
<<

BigDog

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:59 pm

Re: Automatic recognition of DVD/BD directory tries

Hi,

FWIW - I second kot on the "Play Movie" option.

Thank you,

BD
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:57 pm

kot wrote:Some movies in my online collection are straight directory-dumps of the DVDs. Each individual .VOB file is listed separately by Serviio...

I'd think, it would be more useful for the server to recognize the VIDEO_TS directory as special and create the equivalent of pressing "Play Movie" on the DVD's menu on the fly automatically. If the DVD contains multiple audio options, it would be nice to see the same movie listed multiple times -- so that the desired audio-track can be picked using the TV's remote.

why would you want to have dvd dumps on your harddrive when you can convert them to xvid and have them take up a fraction of the space..
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

BigDog

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:48 am

Cerberus wrote:
kot wrote:Some movies in my online collection are straight directory-dumps of the DVDs. Each individual .VOB file is listed separately by Serviio...

why would you want to have dvd dumps on your harddrive when you can convert them to xvid and have them take up a fraction of the space..

I used to convert everything to DivX, then I lost everything due to a bad drive. With my kid's iPods, I already have to convert their movies to MP4's. I'd just rather not have to convert to every format known to man to support different devices. Maybe there is an easier way to go about it or a more universally excepted compressed format like what MP3 is to music. For now, I'm fine with ripping the main movie to disk.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:35 pm

you could convert tham all to MP4 but the quality would suffer.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

kot

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:58 pm

Cerberus wrote:why would you want to have dvd dumps on your harddrive when you can convert them to xvid and have them take up a fraction of the space..
Space is not really a problem for me (not yet, anyway). Having a DVD dump will allow me to burn the DVD anew, should the original get destroyed...
FreeBSD port of Serviio is now in the tree. Please, try using it and share your experience.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:01 pm

still make no sense to me but ah well each to his own i guess.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Return to Feature requests