FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Possibility to launch commands when playback starts

<<

Willems

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:15 am

Possibility to launch commands when playback starts

I really like Serviio as a DLNA package it is not as complicated to make it work with my DLNA equipment, on top of that I really like the active development of the product.

I use the product on a Windows Home Server, Windows Home Server has a storage pool which is balanced using the Demigrator service. When the service kicks in processor usage is about 90%. This results into stuttering when playing movies. The solution is to turn of the demigrator service when a movie starts.

Now it would be very nice if it were possible o launch system commands, when a movie starts reproducing. Besides this it actually can be used for other services such as macros for home automation etc. :) I Believe possibilities are endless!
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:27 pm

Re: Possibility to launch commands when playback starts

Interesting idea. The problem is it's actually quite hard to figure out when movie starts playing, as the player can send multiple requests, e.g. for byte ranges. But I guess it could be done.

How would you envision that? A hook to run a Groovy (or another language) script?
<<

Willems

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:15 pm

Unfortunately I do not have any knowledge of groovy scripts.

I was thinking of using a simple .cmd file containing the commands necessary to stop the service. And at the end starting it again.
If it is impossible to invoke this at the start of playing a file. Another option is to create an options menu. I have tried DLNA servers with these menu options, for example to renew the database etc.

Possible it would be a nice point to invoke a command at this point: (At the start of the delivery of video)

2010-12-16 21:39:20,109 DEBUG [VideoDeliveryEngine] Delivering item '29412' for client 'IPAddress=/192.168.1.8, Profile=Sony BD Player'
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:58 pm

Yes, but that can happen many times for a movie, e.g. when you fast-forward. Also Serviio doesn't know about when a movie stopped being streamed, as it's handled by Java/OS on a lower level.

On another note,I'm also using WHS and I haven't seen any stuttering yet. But it's true that I don't have duplication of movies set up.

Return to Feature requests