FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Custom Genre's and Parental Control

<<

jvcs23

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:08 pm

Custom Genre's and Parental Control

Hi,

I have discovered Serviio this weekend, installed it on my mac mini and I can now play my video files on my LG Blu-ray soundbar -:). Everything works fabulous so thanks a lot for developing this awesome piece of software.

If I could make one suggestion for future enhancement it would be to have the possibility to add 'custom' genres to categorize and browse files. E.g. I have lot's of cartoons which I have categorized with the 'kids' genre. This works fine in Itunes but Serviio does seem to pick up only the official genre categories from themoviedb and ignores custom genres.

Finally, one more suggestion: is it it feasable to have some sort of parental control mechanism? Basically a pincode to hide certain folders or genre's?

Thanks a lot,

Jacques
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:37 pm

Re: Custom Genre's and Parental Control

HI,

thanks for the feedback. I saw your other post about not being able to play MP3. Could yousend me one of the files (a short one ;-) to zip@serviio.org to try it out?

Regarding genres, when yousay you customised the files, do you mean in iTunes? That information in not stored into the file itself so I cannot retrieve it. I could, however, add support for getting metadata from iTunes library, although I have no idea how and what is stored... so it's just thinking aloud now ;-)

Parental control is a very good idea. Implementation is going to be tricky though. Basically the device is not supporting entering any PIN to identify a user so it'd have to be in the console. So you could select a 'User profile' 'Parents' and go watch the TV, later you would go to the console and select 'Kids' and let the kids play with the TV. Is this something that you would find useful?
<<

jvcs23

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:42 pm

Hi Petr,

Thanks for your quick feedback. Here is some more background and a couple of further thoughts/ideas.

For adding genre tags, I am actually using a little windows program called Salamis Movie Organizer which looks up IMDB information primarily but can also assign custom genres. I still have a windows media center with the 'media browser' plugin installed and this works fine. However I have indeed no idea if this information is stored embedded in the file or as a reference somewhere in the same folder as the file is stored in. FYI, I have all my movie files stored in a separate folder.

Getting metadata from Itunes would be awesome -:). If this could be done, would we than also have movie info etc. in addition to the current thumbnail display?

About the parental control feature, I guess a client side solution, (pin code), would be the most practical. However I can see that this would probably be complicated because of the fact that many dlna devices work slighty different. Therefore a user profile option on the console would be already a great step forward. I can even imagine one could specify e.g. that a restricted 'kids' profile would be available during day time and that let's say at 21.00 PM the 'parents' profile would be automatically activated.

Just some thoughts, no real urgency but nice to have for the future. Keep up the good work!

regards,

Jacques

FYI, I will sent you 2 test mp3's via pm.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:41 pm

jvcs23 wrote:Getting metadata from Itunes would be awesome -:). If this could be done, would we than also have movie info etc. in addition to the current thumbnail display?

Again, depends on the device. Serviio already collects a lot of data from the online databases (e.g. cast, director, producer, genre, synopsis, etc), all this data is available and also sent to the client devices. Unfortunatelly most devices I know don't display this information, probably because most servers don't provide it.

Return to Feature requests