FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

MediaBrowser with multiuser support

<<

webix

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:24 pm

MediaBrowser with multiuser support

Hello.

I want to congratz for this nice software. It is really usefull.
I have 2 requests:
- Make the MediaBrowser Multiuser or disable user login.
- Possibility to peronalize the MediaBrowser.

Keep the good work.

Cheers
<<

spudy12

DLNA master

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:37 pm

Re: MediaBrowser with multiuser support

I know there was a few possible MB redesign ideas floating around at some point and one or two showed the multiple username / password option however I am not certain it will be implemented.

I think (someone who knows more please confirm this :P ) that it won't happen but an option to remember of remove the password will be included
<<

webix

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:43 pm

Ok then...
At least will we have the possibitily to access the code so we can make a custom MB?
If you don't want to work arround with these requests to new features, i guess it would be nice to have a SDK or something, so we can build our own MB.
That way will be much less work to your team (you will have to worry only with the SDK not the whole MB itself).

Cheers.

edit: With a SDK, you won't have to worry with multi-user and new redisigns... users will build their MB has they want... using the different coding existent... (php/mysql/java/etc...)
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:52 pm

You can already build your own 'media browser', just use the CDS API.

http://docs.serviiocds.apiary.io/
<<

webix

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:57 pm

Yes... but that API has a "user authentification" that is sticked to a single user.
You can spare that part of authentication off the API, and let the coders code their own authentication systems or integration systems (like what i want to do).
<<

zachofalltrades

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:57 pm

The problem here is that you if a person wants to share their library, they basically have to give out THE password that will also grant access to the configuration console (even though the user has to come in through a separate interface). The server already has some rudimentary access-level support in it where we can specify that certain DLNA renderers are limited or no-restriction. The server must already keep track of the multiple specific renderers -- so what we need is to extend or abstract out that logic to a web login so that the server keeps track of multiple web "users".
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:34 pm

No, the password on the Remote tab is only for MediaBrowser (and apps using the CDS API, like ServiiGo). Console is not protected in any way, so anyone can change config via the API or by logging on your box. To disable that, you'd have to block port 23423 on your PC / router.
<<

zachofalltrades

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:00 pm

Two points then:

1. Perhaps the API access to the configuration console _should_ be protected.

2. I believe my point about the renderer restrictions being analogous to user restrictions still makes some sense -- the server has some notion of "who can access what". The OP in this thread would like to see separate logins for the MediaBrowser (which would require some enhancement to the CDS API). I think that piggybacking on internal group support that is already there would make good sense.
<<

oiler2112

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:45 pm

Just resurrecting this thread, as in my opinion the main thing missing is multiple user logins for the mediabrowser. We already have group support, but nothing like that for the mediabrowser. This is definitely needed, so one user can have access to these folders, this user can have access to these folders, etc...

Any chance this is being implemented?

zachofalltrades wrote:Two points then:

1. Perhaps the API access to the configuration console _should_ be protected.

2. I believe my point about the renderer restrictions being analogous to user restrictions still makes some sense -- the server has some notion of "who can access what". The OP in this thread would like to see separate logins for the MediaBrowser (which would require some enhancement to the CDS API). I think that piggybacking on internal group support that is already there would make good sense.
<<

xXsamXx1991

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:52 pm

Hi,

multiusersupport would be very nice. So it would be possible to personalize for everyone in the family.

Also the ordering in the category movie in subfolders as "A,B,C" would be good.
xXsamXx1991
Beta Tester Group

Player: Samsung UE46C5700 | Server: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Player: Samsung UE40F5370
Player: Toshiba REGZA 37UL863

Intel UPnP tools | HOWTO: Turn on detailed logging | HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device | HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play | HowTo: Remove header compression
<<

OvoiDs

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:55 pm

Same request for me.

Even though I'd like fine grain user authentification interface, with rights and all on the mediabrowser, I would already love to get something like "setting a master password" and a "guest" password. Allowing the guest password to be automatically revoked in like "x" days would be delighful.

I do not need this "guest" account to have every functionnality (like the android app ties), just being able to log in without the same password I use.

I have tried to setup something with Apache htaccess, but couldn't succeed.

If you need help coding that, I may be able to help you.

By the way, I love your software ! I use it on a daily basis, and my family is delighted with it. Thank you !
<<

thomiq

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:05 am

hey ;)

multi-user for web media browser would be awesome. could decide what members of family can see what folders etc . hope there will be some option like this in future . loving this app and use it mainly for web media browser ;)
<<

millahjovich

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:21 am

The problem here is that you if a person wants to share their library, they basically have to give out THE password that will also grant access to the configuration console (even though the user has to come in through a separate interface). The server already has some rudimentary access-level support in it where we can specify that certain DLNA renderers are limited or no-restriction. The server must already keep track of the multiple specific renderers -- so what we need is to extend or abstract out that logic to a web login so that the server keeps track of multiple web "users".
I am Devil Find me in your Heart
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:03 pm

millahjovich wrote:The problem here is that you if a person wants to share their library, they basically have to give out THE password that will also grant access to the configuration console (even though the user has to come in through a separate interface). The server already has some rudimentary access-level support in it where we can specify that certain DLNA renderers are limited or no-restriction. The server must already keep track of the multiple specific renderers -- so what we need is to extend or abstract out that logic to a web login so that the server keeps track of multiple web "users".

Actually, the console has no password at all. However, unless you specifically configure your router to open that port, no one outside your network can access the console. Inside your network, they can only if they know the computer name (or IP address) and the proper formatting of the URL (since it's not just a simple one).
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Juarlyn

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:41 am

Hi , If you can perfectly take full monitoring of users and passwords for ingrasar add to the server, only need to use the best network pfsense Administrator Tool.
With pfsense will be to create a captive portal to assign username and password and avoid multi connections etc. Pfsense is a world of possibilities for aministracion your network . :D :D :D
Last edited by Juarlyn on Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Juarlyn

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:04 am

With pfsense will be to create a captive portal to assign username and password and avoid multi connections etc. Pfsense is a world of possibilities for aministracion your network . :D :D :D
<<

OvoiDs

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:32 pm

Just wanted to say that as serviio is getting more and more mature, I would really love to see either:
- Fine grained user access to the mediabrowser (e.g.: this user can see those media)
- or main / guest accounts.

Is the guest secondary account a complicated feature to implement ?

Return to Feature requests