FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Better library building?

<<

Fraoch

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:40 pm

Better library building?

I'm really liking Serviio, but one feature which could be improved is the process of building a file library/database.

It takes quite a while and the only way to know it's still going on is by looking at disk usage and/or processor usage, because it is fairly processor intensive.

There's another bit of open-source software I use that has had its problems with building a library, but which has improved tremendously in the past few releases: Squeezebox Server http://www.squeezenetwork.com/download. The improvements were incremental and gradual:

- database and search optimization to make the process faster

- splitting of the scanning process into several sub-processes

- progress bars to indicate to the user where the process is

- finally, some sort of extreme optimization that enables extremely rapid scanning - several thousand items in a few seconds! (this one is pretty magical, not sure what they did here.)

Although Squeezebox Server is open-source, it may not help Serviio because Squeezebox Server is written in Perl and uses MySQL/SQLite as a database. But at least a progress bar might be a good idea.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:45 pm

Re: Better library building?

the only way to know it's still going on is by looking at disk usage and/or processor usage, because it is fairly processor intensive.

Not true, it says in Console (Library tab) whether its scanning for new files and/or updates to currently shared files.

There is already a ticket for some kind of progress notification.
<<

Fraoch

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:37 am

Thanks for your response!

I did see the notification that it was scanning files, but I've seen a fair share of programs that hang when doing this - showing they're doing it with nothing actually happening.

Squeezebox Server, in particular, was notorious for doing this - or used to be. Of course you can also have a progress bar animating without doing anything, but another improvement was to put numbers as well - for example, counting music tracks/videos/files, whatever. If the count stops updating, the program has stalled.

I do note that Serviio hasn't stalled on me yet when building a library so the scanning is robust enough, but it's good to know that improvements are being considered. Thanks again.
<<

Zek

Serviio lover

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:39 am

+1 :)
Sony Bravia KDL-55NX810 | Serviio 0.5 (rev. 975aa458693c) | Synology DS-1010+
<<

dalanik

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:06 am

+1

any type of indication, maybe just text in different color (i.e. processing 175/1792 or 33%) or progress bar would be great!

D.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:04 am

This is ALREADY a bitbucket ticket with all of these idea added by my about 3 weeks ago.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

jfmaniac

Serviio newbie

Post Mon May 16, 2011 1:46 am

zip wrote:
the only way to know it's still going on is by looking at disk usage and/or processor usage, because it is fairly processor intensive.

Not true, it says in Console (Library tab) whether its scanning for new files and/or updates to currently shared files.

There is already a ticket for some kind of progress notification.

Indeed... I was looking for some sort of progress, this is plenty of progress for me, just to see if it's burning a hole in my hard drive or actually doing something :)

Love the program, all Hail ZIP!

JF

Return to Feature requests