FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

3 Thumbnail feature requests...

<<

smidgey

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:01 am

3 Thumbnail feature requests...

Hi,

Firstly a disclaimer: Given that I do in fact own a computer with a connection to Google I am aware of previous statements by Zip regarding media thumbnail size, and am respectful of his valid concerns regarding implementing broken behaviours.

My 3x feature requests regarding thumbnails are:

1. Configurable thumbnail size. Whilst I recognise the points that I refer to in the disclaimer, I have a device (WDTV Live SMP) which happily accepts images sized larger than Serviio allows. My grasp of the Serviio EULA evades me right now, but I imagine that this behaviour could be proven by increasing approximately 6 values in org.serviio.library.local.service.CoverImageService and injecting the class back into the jar if one wanted.

I understand that there are hard limits on DLNA thumbnail sizes, but I also understand that there are people who are able to benefit from this broken behaviour. Perhaps it could be configured in the console and come with a stern warning dialog rather than being hard-coded?

2. Configurable thumbnail compression level. I estimate that org.serviio.util.ImageUtils probably uses the javax.imageio.ImageIO.write() convenience wrapper to convert local and downloaded thumbnails to JPEG before storing in the database. I humbly request that the user could be given a quality slider and that the wrapper be forgone for use of the classes that allow you to specify compression quality instead (my device in particular is good at displaying large thumbnails, but suffers poor loading times).

3. I would genuinely appreciate the ability to import thumbnails for the container nodes in the content directory i.e. audio, video, image, series, folder etc etc. Some devices/themes on the client end handle entries without thumbnails in an ineligant fashion, and this would genuinely improve usability on these devices.

I completely respect if these requested features do not match the direction in which you would want to take Serviio, but perhaps a few extra clues could be provided as to the best places to add a few lines that would allow container entries from contentDirectoryDef.xml to reference thumbnail ID's that have been manually injected into the appropriate table...

Kindest Regards,

Smidgey.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:28 pm

Re: 3 Thumbnail feature requests...

You can set the profile use HD thumbnails, which currently are 320x320. i might make the HD size configurable at some point.

Return to Feature requests