FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Service Shutdown on Console Close

<<

cuf

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:35 am

Service Shutdown on Console Close

In version 1.5 of Serviio, when the console was closed the Serviio service automatically shutdown as well.
I don't know if this was by design or a bug, but I liked it.

I'd like to request a return of this functionality or an option that reinstates it.
I don't like unused services running, every program wants to do that. When I want Serviio on, I turn it on. When I want it off, taking the extra step of running "Stop Serviio Service" seems like make work.

The long version:
In v1.5 I customized the way Serviio worked. ServiioService was set to manual (instead of automatic) and did not start with windows.
When I wanted to turn Serviio on, I launched a batch file that started the service as well as ServiioConsole with the console minimized to the system tray.
When I was finished with Serviio, I closed the console and Serviio automatically killed the service as well.

To me, that is the ideal way for any and all programs to function. Not leaving hidden bits running using up memory and CPU cycles.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:03 pm

Re: Service Shutdown on Console Close

Serviio is designed as a service, so it is available at all times. What you are requesting wasn't part of a previous version, you just created a script to do it. Closing the console did not stop the Serviio service.

There's no reason you can't still use a script to do the same now. The difference is there is no longer a Serviio console app, therefore there's nothing to run in the System tray. The console is now web based, so there's nothing to show in the tray. Just write your scripts to start or stop Serviio, and if desired you could start the console in a browser at the same time. However, I know of no way to minimize a browser to the system tray.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

cuf

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:50 pm

You seem confused about two things.

In the previous version the service DID stop when you closed the console. Maybe it was an unreported bug, but it was how it functioned. NOT something I did to it.
My scripted only started the service before launching the console so it didn't have to be started with Windows.

Also, I don't know what you're talking about the console being 'web based'. When I launch the v1.6 console it is a console and in no way web based... in fact I see no way to open it in a browser. Are you sure you're talking about the Windows version?
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:58 pm

cuf wrote:In the previous version the service DID stop when you closed the console.

That is not true. More details here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21486#p106663
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:13 am

cuf wrote:You seem confused about two things.

In the previous version the service DID stop when you closed the console. Maybe it was an unreported bug, but it was how it functioned. NOT something I did to it.
My scripted only started the service before launching the console so it didn't have to be started with Windows.

Also, I don't know what you're talking about the console being 'web based'. When I launch the v1.6 console it is a console and in no way web based... in fact I see no way to open it in a browser. Are you sure you're talking about the Windows version?

As Zip, said, the console and the service were completely separate in past versions and the latest 1.6. Perhaps you thought the service stopped when the icon was no longer displayed in the system tray. This is incorrect, as the tray icon was only related to the console, not the service.

The "console" you see with 1.6 is a custom web browser included with the Serviio install. It may not look like a normal browser, but it is. As Zip says, you can access it from any computer on your network, not just the computer with Serviio. The URL is serviiocomputername:23423/console

All due respect, but I'm not the confused one. ;)
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

cuf

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:07 am

Okay, I accept what you are saying, but to be clear:

In v1.5 I kept the ServiioService on Manual and it did not start with Windows.

To run Serviio (at all), I ran a batch file that launched the Service and then the Console. Period. I'm aware the console wasn't necessary for the service to run, but this way I would know Serviio was running only when the tray icon was there. It gave me a visual indication and ready access to 'Force Refresh' right there in the tray.

The thing is, before I even created the batch file I had found that for some reason if the console was closed, the service stopped.

That wasn't my doing, that wasn't my script, that was how Serviio acted. MAYBE it was because I kept the service on manual rather than automatic, but Serviio killed the service's process by itself. Bug or unintended action, that IS how it was. Argue all you want, but it's what it was doing for me and I liked it.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:11 pm

I won't dispute your experience, as that would be dumb of me. :D

Perhaps it was because you had it configured as a manual service, but I have no idea why. I've used Serviio for years, and constantly opened and closed the console without affecting the service, so it's a mystery to me. :?:
Dan

<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:44 pm

There was a 'Exit Serviio' item in the system tray menu (which would exit both, the console and the server), so perhaps he means that.
<<

cuf

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:19 am

zip wrote:There was a 'Exit Serviio' item in the system tray menu (which would exit both, the console and the server), so perhaps he means that.

Sounds right to me.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:24 pm

zip wrote:There was a 'Exit Serviio' item in the system tray menu (which would exit both, the console and the server), so perhaps he means that.

Ah, the answer! I had forgotten that was there, as I never used it. I was assuming (bad word!) that he was just closing the console with the normal Windows X button in the window. Now it all makes sense. :lol:
Dan

Return to Feature requests