FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

How to select suitable profile

<<

fhutt

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:40 am

How to select suitable profile

Just purchased a set top box because my TV does not decode the new H264 encoded channels.
The set top box is a DGTec DG-HD4104. I can select the Servio server and view the folders and even the video filenames. But when it comes to paying any of the videos, it crashes and says the video is not suitable.
When I look in the Servio console, I see the ethernet connected set top box in the status as Unrecognized device. If I click on the edit it gives me a form to complete but I have no idea how to complete it correctly. The Generic DLNA profile obviously isn't sufficient.
I can also access my computer via the ethernet connection and view the same video files directly. So, the file types (.mp4 and .avi) is not the problem.

How do I go about selecting a working profile for this set top box?
Thanks
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:15 pm

Re: How to select suitable profile

The generic profile transcodes nothing, so that is probably why you can't play them. You might experiment with different profiles to get an idea what works. The Directv profile transcodes everything, and the various Sony profiles transcodes less with each newer version. Same with the Samsung profiles.

The only way to tell for sure what your box supports is to run the Intel Device Spy program to read its DLNA abilities. However, it won't read every device, such as a Roku player.

I did a quick web search for your box, and found nothing. The few reviews I found for other models from that manufacturer were not encouraging.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

fhutt

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:32 am

I don't think that the problem is the inability to play those video files because I have accessed my computer with the set top box and it plays the video files.
The user manual of the bx refers to the box as an Android box with TV receiver. Maybe android devices don't interface with DLNA without an app.
I would like to try Intel Device Spy. I am unable to find it on the internet.
Would you have a download link?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:34 pm

If you look for a post by ZIp (the Serviio developer) you will see a link to the Intel UPnP tools in his signature.

If your player can access the network share and play the file, that certainly means it should be playable with the generic profile. Perhaps Zip can comment further, as you're getting into DLNA details that I know nothing about. :)
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

fhutt

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:33 pm

I had a look at the Intel UPnP tools in Zip's signature. There is no Intel Device Spy program there.
I looked for DLNA support for Android on the web, and they always refer to installing apps for this. So, I think this is my problem.
I need to be satisfied with the network share access to play my video files. This actually doesn't take any longer than via DLNA.
Thank you for your help.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:48 pm

The install program that Zip has linked will install a number of programs, with Device Spy as one of them. You have to install them all.

If the share works without too much effort, then go with what works for you. My guess is something can be figured out for your device, but it will take some info about the device.
Dan

Return to Feature requests