FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Mediabrowser and metadata

<<

Inquisition

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:32 am

Mediabrowser and metadata

First, I would like to say thanks. Serviio is the closest media server application to suit my needs.
Next, I would like to remind the developers of a simple fact. And that is that software is made and used to make things easier for the end user. I have looked through the boards, and the most asked for feature requests, and support requests are regarding the media browser and the metadata (or how the metadata is gathered and used). But most often, the support requests, and even some feature requests are answered by saying something similar to "go and rename all your files to accommodate the application's shortcomings". Do you see what's wrong here? If the end user has to go through and alter their file names, directory structure, and the like, you have failed as a developer. So, in the spirit of "Let's make serviio even better!" Here is a feature I'd like to see:

More control of how metadata is applied. Currently, it is an all or nothing proposition. How about the ability to control whether or not metadata is applied on a per file basis? Instead of altering files and such, allow us to alter how serviio handles the the files by simply saying "ignore metadata for this file"? This would be especially helpful for director's cuts, or special editions of a movie (I like to keep both available for viewing along with the original theatrical release).
Also, the way it works now, if there is simply no data for a file, it is completely ignored by the mediabrowser. How about presenting a generic template for when this happens? This would be useful for bonus material. You know, something similar to an mp3 tag editor. The same could be applied regarding series extras that commonly come on blu-ray boxed releases. For example: I have a set of Star Trek TOS: Remastered and enhanced. I Would like to have the included episode trailers and bonus material appear with the series. Try as I might, there is no way to make this happen, because those things aren't listed on the TVDB (or whatever that site is that is used for TV metadata). I even tried presenting them as another season of the show, but since additional seasons don't exist, the media is ignored.
I ask you. Have you ever purchased a blu-ray copy of anything that didn't have bonus material?
So, I figure, I'll get a lot of suggestions to simply use folder view. That has limitations as well. And I rather like the ability to search by genre, or director. So why throw the baby out with the bathwater? Why not make the water cleaner and warmer?
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:55 pm

Re: Mediabrowser and metadata

The thing is that the additional content, when not found in the online databases, Serviio cannot tell if it's a movie, what is the genre, etc. It is just some video file on your disk. That's why you can only see the file in the Folders category.
<<

Inquisition

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:04 pm

That's what I'm getting at. I don't think that there's anyone here that doesn't like bonus content, or have video files on their server that wouldn't absolutely LOVE to see it in the browser. Hence the feature request to be able to apply a metadata template to those files. It would have the effect of being able to not only include bonus series material in the series search, or Director's cuts in the movies list, but allow for another possible category such as home movies and the like. Also, it would allow users to correct other mistakes that happen with incorrect or missing metadata.
<<

Inquisition

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:12 am

you know what? I just found Mezzmo. It has way more control over the metadata retrieval, title presentation, and if no metadata exists, you can customize it and even add artwork. Looks like they get my money. I should have known when I saw so many responses that were basically, "the program isn't wrong, your data is!"
Good luck!
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:39 pm

Yep, those guys have metadata management. I didn't implement it intentionally back then. I assume you will lose all your metadata settings though when you reinstall the software, as it's all stored locally on your PC and not in the files / sidecar files.
<<

Inquisition

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:43 pm

They have detailed instructions on how to back up and restore library and metadata databases on their forums.
you should really reconsider your decision to intentionally leave out such a useful feature.

Cheers!

Return to Feature requests