FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Multiple dnla servers with one instance of serviio

<<

DevXen

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon May 02, 2016 5:21 am

Multiple dnla servers with one instance of serviio

I was thinking it would be very useful to be able to have 1 instance of serviio running multiple servers. So one could be set to index 30 folders and another only 2. Another might only have music. While another night only have movies. There are endless possibilities. But as this isn't possible at the moment. I'm currently looking for a second dlna server to run along side serviio on my pc.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon May 02, 2016 12:45 pm

Re: Multiple dnla servers with one instance of serviio

DevXen wrote:I was thinking it would be very useful to be able to have 1 instance of serviio running multiple servers. So one could be set to index 30 folders and another only 2. Another might only have music. While another night only have movies. There are endless possibilities. But as this isn't possible at the moment. I'm currently looking for a second dlna server to run along side serviio on my pc.

I run Plex on the same computers that I run Serviio on. I did it at first because Roku didn't support DLNA but did have a Plex app. Since Roku added DLNA playback, I don't use Plex much anymore, but it will run on the same machine with no issues.

I am assuming you want the different instances of Serviio to better control what separate users have access to. The problem with that is that there's no way to stop any DLNA player on the network from accessing every Serviio instance available, unless you set each Serviio instance to default to deny access to everyone and then permit specific machines to access the specific server. That means a lot of work for you as the admin. Plus, unless you either assign static IPs to each devices or configure IP reservations in your DHCP server you could end up constantly modifying the privileges.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

DevXen

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon May 02, 2016 7:32 pm

atc98092 wrote:
DevXen wrote:I was thinking it would be very useful to be able to have 1 instance of serviio running multiple servers. So one could be set to index 30 folders and another only 2. Another might only have music. While another night only have movies. There are endless possibilities. But as this isn't possible at the moment. I'm currently looking for a second dlna server to run along side serviio on my pc.

I run Plex on the same computers that I run Serviio on. I did it at first because Roku didn't support DLNA but did have a Plex app. Since Roku added DLNA playback, I don't use Plex much anymore, but it will run on the same machine with no issues.

I am assuming you want the different instances of Serviio to better control what separate users have access to. The problem with that is that there's no way to stop any DLNA player on the network from accessing every Serviio instance available, unless you set each Serviio instance to default to deny access to everyone and then permit specific machines to access the specific server. That means a lot of work for you as the admin. Plus, unless you either assign static IPs to each devices or configure IP reservations in your DHCP server you could end up constantly modifying the privileges.

Haha no. More because my lg Google 3D TV. Forces be to use their horrible smart share app if I want to watch 3D videos. (seriously it's horrible. It loses the network connection. It has to load every file on the dlna sever with every single folder you go into. It shows icons and you vent to sit and wait for filenames to scroll when that file is highlighted. It crashes often. It's ridiculous.) anyways. That is the only way I can watch 3D videos. And I have more media than it can handle so it just won't load any files. I separated by media into 2 servers on 2 pcs just because of that. But it would be easier if I could just do the same thing eith one program in one pc. As my media on that pc is growing and going to end up being too much as well. When that happens. Then I'll ha e to find another dlna server to run along it. Just for those 3D videos. - I didn't like plex much, it killed one of my hard drives with its constant checking for changes to each folder. Tversity did great but was crazy on ram usage. Ps3 media server had issues.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon May 02, 2016 10:47 pm

How about putting all your 3D files into one folder? Then when you browse by folder you only have the 3D files to run through.

Your feature request might still be viable, but in the meantime you could do this as a workaround.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

DevXen

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue May 03, 2016 4:24 am

atc98092 wrote:How about putting all your 3D files into one folder? Then when you browse by folder you only have the 3D files to run through.

Your feature request might still be viable, but in the meantime you could do this as a workaround.

They are in one folder. The problem with the horrible lg program that I have to use is. It loads every file that is loaded in the server. Then it reloads every one everytime I change folders. If there are too many files it won't load any of them at all. I've now on the server had to remove several folders as with time it always 'gets to have too many.'

I bought an app vivu or something I'm not sure if the exact name. It's amazing. It saves indexes if the files so it doesn't need ti reload. Never crashes. Never loses the network connection. Never had a problem loading too many files. But it can't enable 3D mode.

The only option in the meantime is really just to remove everything except the 3D videos. Thus why a second server was the best idea I could think of for now. Then the way it won't have too many files on the server and shouldn't be a problem..
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue May 03, 2016 12:25 pm

Ug, sounds like LG implements DLNA even worse than Samsung. My Son-in-law has an LG and I have Serviio running on a computer there and we've never noticed any problem. However, they don't have a whole lot of files to load, maybe a little over 100. Not like my server with around 3000 :D
Dan

<<

DevXen

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue May 03, 2016 4:59 pm

atc98092 wrote:Ug, sounds like LG implements DLNA even worse than Samsung. My Son-in-law has an LG and I have Serviio running on a computer there and we've never noticed any problem. However, they don't have a whole lot of files to load, maybe a little over 100. Not like my server with around 3000 :D

Yeah their program is terrible. But I'd also blame Google for not opening up the 3D api to app developers. The dlna serving program from lg was just kinda rushed and not made for decent collections.. I literally at point downloaded a few YouTube channels and it was too many files for it. I think it's one Is around 8,000 files total on the server of any media. Dumb lg.

Return to Feature requests