FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Integration to Amazon Echo

<<

AndrewW

Serviio lover

Post Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:33 am

Integration to Amazon Echo

It would be great to be able to play and importantly control music stored on Serviio via voice control on the Amazon Echo ( and other similar products). This is not just using the Bluetooth speaker link, but adding the control aspect from the Echo.
I’m not sure if this would be a feature for Serviio or a helper app on a server /NAS which accesses Serviio and streams the music back to an app on the Amazon Echo.

Any thoughts
<<

nickski

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:07 am

Re: Integration to Amazon Echo

AndrewW makes a good point.
I just received my echo this week and I am very impressed with Alexa's voice interface.

Home automation appears to be one of its key goals - and indeed there are "skills" designed for specific things like adjusting and monitoring heating and light around the home.

Amazon has provided interfaces to on-line music libraries but not for music or even video content from home servers.
Amazon has opened up access for 3rd party developers to write and publish their own skills. One early adopter has had a go at interfacing to a DLNA server in the home
(https://www.reddit.com/r/amazonecho/com ... tegration/) so its clear that it could be done.

This could be a fantastic extension of serviio's function ... but would this be a function creep too far for serviio?
One could argue that the serviio online mediabrowser was not really core to serviio's original concept but its certainly added value and has many supporters.
I would certainly support and pay for an echo interface to serviio.

Got to go - Alexa's reminding me of my next appointment!
nickski
Render: Panasonic Viera TX-L42E30B + DMP-BDT210 + Jelly Bean 4.1 Tablet + Onkyo TX-NR616 | Server: Intel i5 Win 7 ult x64 | NW: Homeplug @ 175 Mbps
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:52 pm

wow, that looks pretty awesome. I assume it'd be quite a big chunk of work, but if there are many takers, why not give it a try.
<<

AndrewW

Serviio lover

Post Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:08 pm

I learnt something new that both Bluetooth and Echo can be used to control music, for example if while playing YouTube with the audio using Echo as a speaker if you say "Alexa stop", the YouTube video is paused, and "Alexa play" allows the track to continue. I'm wondering if this is a possible route rather than via the Amazon cloud services and leaving you network?
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:03 pm

I created a ticket: https://bitbucket.org/xnejp03/serviio/i ... mazon-echo
Not sure when I get to this, but would be a fun project.
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:18 pm

I am interested in the Amazon Echo particularly if it could play my Serviio-based home server audio.
The absence of home server access is putting me off.

Seems there are two stages firstly to play audio and secondly (and more complicated perhaps) to work as a control point.

Could be a good benefit for Serviio (and Echo), although they want your money for their cloud-based music !
Serviio Pro v2.3, DBpoweramp & Asset UPnP (R7.4), HP Elitebook, HP Pavilion, Windows 10 Pro, Linn Majik DS/1, NEET AirstreamPro renderer, Naim NAC72/NAP140 (x2), Celestion Ditton 25 and Spendor A5 speakers, WD TV Media Player (x2), Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BDT360, Panasonic TV, Amazon Fire 7 HDX, Kazoo & BubbleUPnP apps, Qobuz Studio Hi-Res.

Return to Feature requests