FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Transcoding

<<

gustavoas

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:47 pm

Transcoding

I was very surprised with this application, I have been looking for a media server that could catalog my movies and TV shows and get tags from an internet database like Boxee does and this is the first one that really works! Besides that it's also the only one that showed thumbnails on my Samsung LN52A850!!!
Unfortunatelly since I like my movies with portuguese subtitles (I'm Brazilian btw), I need to stream those or to transcode the files during streaming; besides that my Sammy does not seem to recognize any of my divx files (even using the USB port).
So for now I'll keep using the PS3 Media Server (even with the annoying bug of movies stop playing); maybe you could join effort with Redlum (from PS3 Media Server) and include transcoding into Serviio?? I would definitely use only Serviio if it had transcoding!!! :-D

And again, great job here!!!

Thanks,

Gustavo
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:36 pm

Re: Transcoding

I am thinking about adding transcoding in a future release. concerning subtitles, my B650 supports them natively, try naming the srt file with the same name as the movie and pick Samsung profile.
<<

gustavoas

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:45 pm

Thanks for the quick feedback Zip. Unfortunatelly it seems that the A850 does not support subtitles; all srt files have the same name as the videos and even through USB they don't. Searching on the internet I could not find any reference of subtitle support on it. Regarding file format, I'm experimenting changing the fourcc code on my files and it seems that with xvid they sometimes work. Anyway, main reason why I transcode is because of subtitles and mkv files so if you incorporate it in the future it would be amazing!
The guys from PS3 Media Server are pretty evolved on transcoding but the mac beta build is a little bit behind the win and linux versions, and they miss all the cataloging and tagging you have on Serviio.

Cheers,

Gustavo
<<

mte

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:06 am

Hi,
Subtitles do show here on B650 but unlike when playing from USB I can't move them in time when using DLNA (sometimes they have bad timings). Do you think it would be possible to incorporate this or is there an issue with the TV itself?

I've also noticed I can FWD/REW on certain videos but not on all of them (mkv 720p for example). I guess this could be solved on the server side?

Besides that, I am really happy to finally find a DLNA server that "just works" for my B650. Thanks for this!
Matej
<<

javierin79

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:43 am

Hi mte,

while being a bit offtopic, i have to point that samsung can FFW, REW while using DLNA, i managed to see it working a couple of times with ps3 media server. However, the number of crashes was 10x number of successes. Apart from that, not even samsung's own DLNA server allows FFW/REW (at least the version which came along with my B651)

Transcoding would be nice, as the TV we own has problems with HD content having a certain number of rframes, or some specific settings when encoded. I'm not up to date with that findings, but there's something in the video encoding that keeps the tv from playing certain videos, most of them HD content.

Transcoding would be a nice feature for audio too, there are lots of DTS audio streams out there that are simply unsupported by our tv, and even more. If it was possible to select what audio language you are going to stream, that would be PERFECT. The tv itself has no way for selecting what audio stream (in multiple audio files) you want to play. It just picks the first audio stream found.

Thanks a lot for this, looks like a very promising project
Javier
<<

zip

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:14 am

javierin79 wrote:Hi mte,

while being a bit offtopic, i have to point that samsung can FFW, REW while using DLNA, i managed to see it working a couple of times with ps3 media server. However, the number of crashes was 10x number of successes. Apart from that, not even samsung's own DLNA server allows FFW/REW (at least the version which came along with my B651)

THe TV supports FFWD/REW but only for certain files, it works with Serviio and PC Share Manager. I think either AVI or MPG(4) are supported (don't remember which now).
<<

qvr

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:43 am

+1 for transcoding

Serviio is so much easier than tversity, and I'm yet to find a person who has gotten transcoding on fuppes to work...
<<

javierin79

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:26 am

+1 to transcoding as well
<<

zip

Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:25 pm

Return to Feature requests