FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

will serviio use the metadata in Flac files?

<<

n3mmr

DLNA master

Post Fri May 13, 2011 12:47 pm

will serviio use the metadata in Flac files?

If not, could this be a thing for the future?
Serviio 2.3 in a jail on TrueNAS 13 running on an HP N54L w 5*4 TB spinning rust disks.
The media files are on the same machine.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri May 13, 2011 12:55 pm

Re: will serviio use the metadata in Flac files?

It does use it.
<<

n3mmr

DLNA master

Post Fri May 13, 2011 12:58 pm

zip wrote:It does use it.

OK, HOW??? or maybe I mean for what purpose?
Serviio 2.3 in a jail on TrueNAS 13 running on an HP N54L w 5*4 TB spinning rust disks.
<<

zip

Post Fri May 13, 2011 1:12 pm

It exctracts metadata, like author, title, etc. Similar to mp3 tags.
<<

n3mmr

DLNA master

Post Fri May 13, 2011 1:38 pm

zip wrote:It exctracts metadata, like author, title, etc. Similar to mp3 tags.

On my Sony BDP-S370 I can see a limited number of fields from mp3 tags metadata, but nothing from flac
On my WDTVLIVEHD it seems flac shows Album Title, Artist and Genre, same as mp3.

A: I would like to be able to see ALL metadata tag fields,. This might need a rewritten renderer FW, I suppose.
B: I would like to be able to search and choose what to play based on metadata content, i e be presented with a menu item "Album" and an item "Composer". Like what happens in iPods. Can this be controlled by just the DLNA server, or will the rendering device need to understand these menu items explicitly?
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Fri May 13, 2011 3:29 pm

A: I would like to be able to see ALL metadata tag fields,. This might need a rewritten renderer FW, I suppose.

That would be the renderer, and not serviio.

B: I would like to be able to search and choose what to play based on metadata content, i e be presented with a menu item "Album" and an item "Composer". Like what happens in iPods. Can this be controlled by just the DLNA server, or will the rendering device need to understand these menu items explicitly?[/quote]

no reason why serviio couldnt do this BUT if you add to many sections, it could get abit messy and hard to use imho.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

n3mmr

DLNA master

Post Fri May 13, 2011 8:19 pm

Cerberus wrote:A: I would like to be able to see ALL metadata tag fields,. This might need a rewritten renderer FW, I suppose.

B: I would like to be able to search and choose what to play based on metadata content, i e be presented with a menu item "Album" and an item "Composer". Like what happens in iPods. Can this be controlled by just the DLNA server, or will the rendering device need to understand these menu items explicitly?

no reason why serviio couldnt do this BUT if you add to many sections, it could get abit messy and hard to use imho.[/quote]

Well, if adding composer gets us past the limit, taking "random" away would fix it, and at no conceivable loss whatsoever....

OK, I'm being provocative, but that's actually how I feel.

Configurability, now there is a possible solution...
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Fri May 13, 2011 8:25 pm

n3mmr wrote:
Cerberus wrote:A: I would like to be able to see ALL metadata tag fields,. This might need a rewritten renderer FW, I suppose.

no reason why serviio couldnt do this BUT if you add to many sections, it could get abit messy and hard to use imho.

Well, if adding composer gets us past the limit, taking "random" away would fix it, and at no conceivable loss whatsoever....

Configurability, now there is a possible solution...[/quote]

user configurable catagory has been decussed in the past and ZIP decided he was not going to add that and random is one of our most popular catagories for music.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

n3mmr

DLNA master

Post Sat May 14, 2011 11:08 am

Cerberus wrote:
n3mmr wrote:

Configurability, now there is a possible solution...

user configurable catagory has been decussed in the past and ZIP decided he was not going to add that and random is one of our most popular catagories for music.[/quote]

Gaah.

I suppose "music" means a very different thing to the populus.

As opposed to what it means to us educated old geezers.

Suffice it to say that for REAL, ACTUAL music, i e music worth the effort of arranging for playback and sorting and finding, there is structure:

A movement is part of a composition which is a part of an opus, and for the serious listener this structure must be kept visible and used for sequencing playback.

And an opus has a set of differentiating characteristics and is a part of what a particular composer has written.

The same structure can be seen in other serious genres, where sometimes the Artist takes the place of Composer, and Album becomes the opus, and so on.

Still, it would make the experience so much nicer to be able to select Schönberg -> Chamber Music -> Verklärte Nacht and get a display of

Verklärte Nacht: Pierre Boulez, O de la Suisse Romande
1st Movement
2nd M
3d M
Verklärte Nacht: Conductor 2
1st M
2nd M
3d M
and so on, and klicking the Header "Verklärte Nacht: Conductor 2" would play all 3 movements in sequence of the recording by Conductor no 2..
Last edited by n3mmr on Sat May 14, 2011 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

zip

Post Sat May 14, 2011 11:13 am

Adding new categories is ok,as you can always disable then in the console ;-)
<<

n3mmr

DLNA master

Post Sat May 14, 2011 11:29 am

zip wrote:Adding new categories is ok,as you can always disable then in the console ;-)

Elucidate, please!
<<

zip

Post Sat May 14, 2011 11:38 am

I mean no problem asking for new browsing categories like Composer as (if you wish it) it can be disabled in the console so that you only have those categories you like on the TV.
<<

n3mmr

DLNA master

Post Sat May 14, 2011 11:49 am

zip wrote:I mean no problem asking for new browsing categories like Composer as (if you wish it) it can be disabled in the console so that you only have those categories you like on the TV.

Oh, GOOOODIE!!

I'll sit down and make a reasonably minimised list of categories I wish for.

I suppose you'd want me to say where to find the values, too?

Gimme a week!
<<

zip

Post Sat May 14, 2011 12:33 pm

Return to Feature requests