FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

multiple external subtitles

<<

individual

Serviio lover

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:58 pm

multiple external subtitles

Would be great if Serviio could snatch all external subtitles, which are in the form:

title.srt
title.en.srt
title.eng.srt
diffrenttitle.rom.srt

If the above subtitles would be present in the folder where video file resides, then they should be all available in the server streaming.

WDTV Live can see such a structure (for shared files only) which is very helpful. The .en or .eng should indicate Serviio which language that subtitle is. there are two standards for language codes, with two and three letters.

For instance, I am using Periscope to automatically scan movie folders and search for subtitles, for two languages; if Periscope finds both subtitles, it saves two subtitle files, and puts the language code before file ext.

Would that be possible for Serviio?
NAS: DS712+, 2x Seagate ST2000DL003
DLNA Server: Synology, Serviio, Twonky, Plex
DLNA Player: Raspberry Pi Raspbmc
DLNA Tablet: Yatse
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:54 am

Re: multiple external subtitles

slight off topic but is perisciope free and paid software ???
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

individual

Serviio lover

Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:37 am

From what I know is free open source. Just google for it.
NAS: DS712+, 2x Seagate ST2000DL003
DLNA Server: Synology, Serviio, Twonky, Plex
DLNA Player: Raspberry Pi Raspbmc
DLNA Tablet: Yatse
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:58 am

I'm not sure how it would work. Subtitles are served to the devices as resources (in most cases), but there is no identifier to distinguish what language they are. Also, subtitles not being part of DLNA spec, this would probably be WDTV only and therefore very low priority.
<<

kwy

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:52 pm

Is there any news about this request ?

I think it should be very helpful.
For eg my TViX is able to detect subtitles suffixed with ".en.srt" or ".[LANG].srt" and then let me use the one I want.
It would be nice to have this kind of feature on the DLNA TV's via Serviio.
<<

RYann

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:52 pm

Hello,

Yes, this support for streaming multiple subtitles external files (multiple SRT files) would be welcome,
if some renderer as WDTV can accept it.

> "I'm not sure how it would work. Subtitles are served to the devices as resources (in most cases), but there is no identifier to distinguish what language they are"

An acceptable first version could simply stream "Subtitle 1" / "Subtitle 2" ... without any distinguishing information about the language (it's also the way playing software like VLC list available subtitles from local folder): the user could at least select and see which one is the right one.
And, if Serviio follows the rule to number those subtitles stream as their files they appear in alphabetical order, the user could often directly "guess" and select the right subtitle among the ones he's used to install.
<<

RYann

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:54 pm

Hello,

Is there any hope for such a feature?

I observed that streaming a MKV embedding multiple SRT subtitles works perfectly (you can set the right language of each subtitles or not be very accurate ;-)).
But it's quite annoying to repack each AVI along with multiple SRT into a MKV.

Could AVI + multiple SRT be streamed "as is" (without repacking in MKV by the user) by Serviio?

Return to Feature requests