FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Metadata update only for a selection of files

<<

Bizzl

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:06 pm

Metadata update only for a selection of files

Hi,

first I want to pay you my compliment. When I read your comment, that you own a Samsung B650 yourself, I was happily looking forward to see some piece of software which has the ability to function with this great TV out of the box with most features.
[x] smooth streaming (at least of all supportet codecs)
[x] thumbnail support
[x] background scanning for new files
[x] very fast folder browsing (most notably compared to PMS!)
[x] metadata support for virtual folders

Really, great work - runs like a charm (although I had to start it for the first time with admin rights (Windows 7).. maybe to create new files for the library).

=> But now to my feature proposal:
1) Is it possible to get a button to refresh just a bunch of selectet movies or a single (sub-) folder from the library? For example: I got some timeouts while retrieving covers and other information from thetvdb.com. When I press "Rescan video metadata" Serviio starts its LibraryUpdaterThread and goes through all files, instead of rescanning just the ones I want. This increases the working time from lets say 2 minutes to 3 hours :( I'm aware that renaming the file would be a possibility to solve this (so that Serviio treats it as a new file), but a selection would be great!
2) Another nice feature would be to allow more than one instance of FFmpeg to run concurrently (as an option box, i.e. 3 on a quad core), reducing the time to update the library on a multicore system.

However, for Samsung TV's this is by far the best DLNA-Server I've seen so far.

Best regards,
Bizzl
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:42 am

Re: Metadata update only for a selection of files

Hi,

Bizzl wrote:1) Is it possible to get a button to refresh just a bunch of selectet movies or a single (sub-) folder from the library? For example: I got some timeouts while retrieving covers and other information from thetvdb.com. When I press "Rescan video metadata" Serviio starts its LibraryUpdaterThread and goes through all files, instead of rescanning just the ones I want. This increases the working time from lets say 2 minutes to 3 hours :( I'm aware that renaming the file would be a possibility to solve this (so that Serviio treats it as a new file), but a selection would be great!

I know, I've been thinking how to integrate this into the UI without it being overly complicated. Serviio doesn't have a proper media manager UI (as some of the other products), but maybe something could be done - I don't see it happening soon though :-) This is only problem with the online metadata, the local extractors will see there is new/updated metadata (e.g. a new folder.jpg) and will update the library automatically .... with the online sources it'd bee too much bandwidth and the speed is also an issue.

2) Another nice feature would be to allow more than one instance of FFmpeg to run concurrently (as an option box, i.e. 3 on a quad core), reducing the time to update the library on a multicore system.

This is an interesting thought and would be doable (from the top of my head). If there is some more interest on this, I can try to give it a go.

Glad you like it, thanks for the feedback.

Return to Feature requests