FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

REQ: Manual Category Selection for Individual Folders.

<<

wiiBox

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:40 pm

REQ: Manual Category Selection for Individual Folders.

Hi zip,

Can I request to have the option to manually categorize (if not individual files) folders into 'movies', 'series', or 'other'. Since not all media will be movie or tv based and some of my tv series are being included in with 'movies' where they shouldn't be listed, I wouldn't mind having the ability to manually assign where these files will be listed at output.

Is this a concern of yours or is this app strictly geared towards serving movies and tv episodes? :)

TIA!
Testing on WDTV Live FW v1.01.11
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: REQ: Manual Category Selection for Individual Folders.

Hi,

first of all - if you follow naming convention for series those videos will appear in Series folder, not Movies.

Regarding to your request, It'd make a lot of work on the UI side. Did you see MyMovies application? I guess this is what you want... if there is interest I could write metadata extractor for MyMovies metadata files and you could you that instead on the online DB.

At the moment you could just create a folder structure that suits you and use the Folders category (e.g. d:/movies, d:/series, etc).
<<

BengtM

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:31 pm

I would love a MyMovies extractor.

Kind regards,

Bengt
<<

wiiBox

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:23 am

zip wrote:Hi,

first of all - if you follow naming convention for series those videos will appear in Series folder, not Movies.

Regarding to your request, It'd make a lot of work on the UI side. Did you see MyMovies application? I guess this is what you want... if there is interest I could write metadata extractor for MyMovies metadata files and you could you that instead on the online DB.

At the moment you could just create a folder structure that suits you and use the Folders category (e.g. d:/movies, d:/series, etc).

The problem is that I have one off tv shows that do not show up in series no matter how I rename them. I've checkd and they are definitely listed in the thetvdb.com site. I've tried tagging them with s01e01 but no result. Is there another procedure I should be using for them?

MyMovies is one of those scrapers/background generator apps? I don't see how I can use that on my media player. Are there provisions in the DLNA specs for such features?

Serviio has just right amount of features I'm looking for, I'm just looking to get things sorted in the right categories. Maybe I could edit the database manually with some external app? But I'm afraid I would need to make the same changes every time an update was made by serviio. :?:

If my original request doesn't appeal to you; how about including the ability to use the tv shows ID from thetvdb.com? It doesn't seem that themoviedb.org uses any type of similar id feature.

BTW, while I'm asking about sorting - Is it that the genre category is only enabled for 'Movies' and not for 'Series? Because all series show up in the 'unknown' genre for me.

Thanks alot! :)
<<

zip

Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:20 am

Can you send me the serie name and an example file name that you are using?

Regarding genres, thetvdb.com doesn't use genres AFAIK.

MyMovies is a desktop application that will try to find metadata for your videos in their DB, if the result is not what you expect you can alter the search request so that it finds your video properly. It then stores the metadata in a XML file which Serviio could read instead of going to themoviedb.org.
<<

wiiBox

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:02 am

zip wrote:Can you send me the serie name and an example file name that you are using?

Here are a couple of examples with links to thetvdb.com:
derren.brown.the.heist.avi
Derren.Brown.Séance.s01e01.avi

:!: Ahh! I've had a bit of a breakthrough as I write this! Taking a closer look at the heist's listing information on thetvbd.com... I notice that even though it is a one off episode, it is listed as an episode of a season 1, so adding s01e01 to the file name will make enable Serviio to place it in 'Series'. On the other hand, the other file (Seance), along with these one off specials; I can't get to show up in 'Series'.

Is there a way to designate these types of files as TV specials when necessary?

zip wrote:Regarding genres, thetvdb.com doesn't use genres AFAIK.

The website lists tv shows with genres categories. Do you mean the programer's API doesn't support genre information? I assume Serviio uses the programmer's API as described in the thetvdb.com wiki.

zip wrote:MyMovies is a desktop application that will try to find metadata for your videos in their DB, if the result is not what you expect you can alter the search request so that it finds your video properly. It then stores the metadata in a XML file which Serviio could read instead of going to themoviedb.org.

Is this the same program you are talking about? I just want to make certain we are refering to the same program in future. I had never heard of this program until now. But it sounds like an interesting proposition as you describe it.

Thanks for taking an interest in my problem. :D
Cheers!
<<

zip

Post Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:55 am

On the other hand, the other file (Seance), along with these one off specials; I can't get to show up in 'Series'.

I tried Seance and it works with Season 0 ... I guess it's because it's listed under 'Specials' - not a proper episode.

The website lists tv shows with genres categories. Do you mean the programer's API doesn't support genre information?

Exactly.

Is this the same program you are talking about? I just want to make certain we are refering to the same program in future.

Yes, this is it.

Return to Feature requests