FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

What should one expect from a DLNA device?

<<

rascott2@mac.com

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:36 am

What should one expect from a DLNA device?

To start at the very beginning, DLNA is a new concept for me.
I had been using a device called 'Eye TV" to watch television on my Mac computers - it had a feature that records programs and formats them for Apple TV.
This suited me fine until the device broke.
My wife had stated a number of times that she just wanted a device that could record TV shows and then copy the files onto DVD. She wanted it plugged into the TV - like VHS recorders of old.
So, I went to the local retailer without much knowledge of what was available and chose a SAMSUNG Blue Ray player (BD-C8900A/XSA).
On the packaging it states "500GB HDD", "Internet@TV", "Wireless LAN Built In" and "Allshare".
I understood that this device did not provide recording directly to DVD or Blue Ray Disc but noting that it had a Wireless card in-built and the word "Allshare", I expected that I would be able to record TV programs and transfer them via my LAN to my Mac computers. There is also a USB port and support for USB Memory Sticks and I also expected to be able to copy to the USB memory.
The salesperson in the shop was not able to dispute any of this because it appeared that he only had limited knowledge of the products for sale.
I would like to know if it is possible to copy recorded programs from the C8900 to my computer (by any means).
Is there anyone out there who can help?
I have installed Serviio and I can stream from the computer to the TV via the C8900 (but since I can do that anyway with my Apple TV (and more easily), this is not much 'value add' for me.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: What should one expect from a DLNA device?

SAMSUNG Blue Ray player (BD-C8900A/XSA). As states by its name is a Player ONLY and can not record at all for that you would of had to buy a DVD recorder or a HDD recorder, and from what i can tell of samsungs present line of product they do not make either at the current time.

•DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) is a standard used by manufacturers of consumer electronics to allow entertainment devices within the home to share their content with each other across a home network.

meaning it allows you to send video, audio and picture from you DLNA server ( your mac ) and watch them on your DLNA client ( your BD player )..
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

rascott2@mac.com

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:48 am

Thank you for your reply to my question.
Regarding the C8900, it's not exactly as you say. The device does record onto a 500GB HDD and I have recorded a number of programs successfully. And I was aware at the time of purchase that the Blue Ray component is only a player (and does not record). However, both I and the sales clerk (at the store) inferred that files could be transferred to a computer via the Wireless network because the C8900 has a built-in wireless card. And in fact, using Serviio, I am able to stream from the computer.
Noting that there are a number of devices 'out there' in the market place that do provide recording and file transfer to and from a computer, I find the Samsung device to be sorely lacking.
Anyway, I was hoping that one of the forum members might have a 'hack' or know of a 3rd party program that would allow me to 'read' files from the HDD on the C8900.
Cheers....
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:03 pm

The firmware natively on the BD player will NOT let you copy from the internal HDD to your computer as that would leave it open to piracy of copyrighted material.

EDIT: Samsung dont even mention the C8900 on either there US, UK or Canadian sites. i can only guess that they no longer make this unit.
<<

rascott2@mac.com

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:53 am

It's a new product; only just released.
see http://www.techradar.com/news/home-cine ... der-713883
Anyway, I'm not impressed and I should have stuck with the Mac line of products. The Samsung thing is poorly conceived and the UI is unbelievably bad. Very disappointing.
I think that this DLNA standard is off on a tangent
cheers...
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:45 pm

rascott2@mac.com wrote:It's a new product; only just released.
see http://www.techradar.com/news/home-cine ... der-713883
Anyway, I'm not impressed and I should have stuck with the Mac line of products. The Samsung thing is poorly conceived and the UI is unbelievably bad. Very disappointing.
I think that this DLNA standard is off on a tangent
cheers...

i agree the samsung PC streaming software is crap but tbh i have used a few DLNA servers with my samsung TV and have been very impressed in how the samsung handles them ( samsung interface for DLNA on device is same on all devices ) serviio being the best so far i have found.

As for DLNA protocol as a whole does exactly what it says on the TIN nothing more nothing less..
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging

Return to General discussion