FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Kodi, Serviio and Samsung

<<

steffy

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:10 pm

Kodi, Serviio and Samsung

Hi, new to DLNA and Kodi/Serviio so please bear with me.

I have searched everywhere to try and find an answer to my issue but to no avail - hence the request. Is there anyone who is able to offer any advice please on the following....

I have set up Kodi and Serviio within Ubuntu running as a virtual machine in Virtual Box to be used as a streaming VM. I have a Samsung Smart TV that can see my serviio server running in this VM on my network. What I am hoping to do is access the VM remotely from an Android tablet to stream movies etc from the Kodi GUI (Navi X, Icefilms etc)to Serviio for transcoding using the Samsung profile in order that they can be played on the TV.

I am unsure how to get Kodi to 'play' a video direct to Serviio (is it using the playercorefactory.xml with Serviio set up as the 'player' for the rules section). I would then like to just select Serviio as the UPnP source on the TV to view the stream - is it that simple? Sorry if this sounds a really stupid question and I would really appreciate any help from more well informed individuals :).

Many Thanks.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:59 pm

Re: Kodi, Serviio and Samsung

If you mean to be able to see your Serviio videos from outside your home network, I don't think you can do it this way. DLNA is an internal network protocol, and does not work across the Internet. The simplest method is to use the web based MediaBrowser that is enabled by purchasing the Pro version of Serviio. If you just installed Serviio, you have a test period (14 days?) that you can use MediaBrowser for free. I hadn't heard of Kodi, but it looks like they've renamed XBMC, and to my knowldge that's just another DLNA service. I could be wrong about its capabilities, though.

To access this outside your network, you have to open a specific port on your router and forward that port to your Serviio computer IP address. I don't have access to the specific information where I'm at right now, so can't give you specifics. Serviio can configure some home routers automatically, but it never worked for me. After the port is configured correctly, you then connect via a web browser to your home network. This also usually means using some sort of Dynamic DNS service, since most home users don't have static IP addresses.

There are more specific instructions to use MediaBrowser here (http://www.serviio.org/component/conten ... ?id=21#q16)
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

steffy

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi atc98092 and thanks for the reply.

All devices are on my home network. I simply need to use Serviio to transcode video from XBMC (Kodi) on the fly so that they will play on my Samsung Smart TV that sees the Serviio sever as a source for imput. I can select as a source and see the video, music, pictures folders on the TV etc so I can see the Serviio server, its just getting XBMC to handshake with Serviio so that anything I play from XBMC is transcoded on the fly for watching on my TV.

I assumed that it would be one of two ways - either a STRM file of some sort that gets put in a library folder that is a source for Serviio by using the 'Add to Library' option for some XBMC plugins, or by configuring XBMC playercorefactory.xml file to default the output of a play request in some way to Serviio. I could have equally asked this question in the XBMC forums I am sure.

Given the popularity of both XBMC and Serviio for this type of transcoding, I assumed that members of both communities would be familiar with the best way to set both of them up on Linux to essentially allow video to be streamed from XBMC in any format and played on a Samsung Smart TV.

Thanks for your help and any further info gratefully received.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:16 am

OK, I don't think you even need Kodi as a middleman, unless you are using Kodi to connect to some sort of online source. Serviio can provide the video directly to your Smart TV without anything else in between.

Depending on your model of TV, Samsung can play quite a bit without transcoding. My TV (which is brand new) can play everything I have except for Windows recorded TV (WTV) files. It struggles occasionally with some high bitrate HD video, but all my MKV, M2TS, MP4, AVI and MPG videos play without transcoding. Older models might require some transcoding, but we'd need to know your specific model to be sure.

My understanding of Kodi (the old XBMC) is that it is primarily for use on a computer that is connected to a TV for its display, and provides the "10 foot interface" for user interaction. I have a computer set up that way, although I just use the Windows Media Center as the interface. I think I may install Kodi just to play with it, and see if it can provide anything further.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

steffy

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:02 pm

Hi atc98092 and thanks again for another kind response.

I appreciate that Serviio will serve the media up to my TV etc but Kodi (XBMC) is acting as a great user interface with the various files and streams that are out there on the web. If only the TVAddons Fusion addon with all the various components were able to run directly in Serviio without the need for XBMC.

I appreciate that I can get URLs for streams and add these into Serviio - but they typically only last for 24 hours etc is mu understanding. Also there is the option of downloading stuff in XBMC into folders that are indexed by Serviio and then streaming this via Bubbleupnp to act as the broker between Serviio and my TV as a rendered.

What I would like to do in XBMC is add Video/Music to the XBMC Library or a playlist that is then somehow indexed by Serviio and transcoded on the fly as needed before serving it up to my Samsung TV - which now also has a Chromecast plugged in.

Any further advice on this would be very much appreciated. Thanks for your kind help and taking the time to respond.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:24 pm

Hi!

I'm still not following how Kodi fits into this picture. My apologies, there must be something in there that provides some functionality that I'm missing. I will attempt this week to install it on my test machine and see if I can figure it out. If I can find a little time... :lol:

About adding online sources in Serviio: I don't think there's any particular time frame for web links to expire. I have Crackle set up on mine, and I never need to make any changes to the Serviio configuration. When they change their movie listings, Serviio just lists the latest titles available. Now if you are linking to something specific that might have a change in URL, I could see that being a problem, but wouldn't Kodi have the same issue?
Dan

<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:25 am

Kodi has addons that are awesome and have fresh links for just about anything. It would be wonderful if serviio could do the job of transcoding. I can get Serviio to see kodi by turning on the smb support within kodi and adding that ip into serviio, but in the dlna menu the choices are files and playlist, not addons where all the links are. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=214711

The addons and kodi itself update constantly so the links are usually good. There are apps to stream from kodi to dlna but there is no transcoding, other than bubbleupnp which you have to pay for and is buggy at best imo. Sorry for the necromancy but this is something I really want, and the top google result for the search 'kodi serviio addon'.

What I have been doing is noting the site that kodi gets a link, going to the site on a pc, extracting the link with browser tools, adding to serviio, then watching, but its too tedious for a long series and the links change too often.
<<

MSGBen

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:40 am

I know it's kind of late to share here, but recently I was having troubles at Kodi addons untill I came across this reliable option for Best Kodi addons list, the thing is, all the repos and the addons are getting hit and are down for any matter. One should have a guide or a master list of sort that gets updated weekly with new addons and list of working repos for kodi.
<<

rawsid

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:44 pm

Installing Illegal addons on Kodi could be an invitation to a problem. There are lots of cracked Kodi available you can buy from Amazon but I don't recommend that. Instead of that, you can try movies on Netflix or Hotstar for movies & sports. Their subscription is dirt cheap. Else there are a whole bunch of websites to dowmnload free movies & series from.
Last edited by rawsid on Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 13 times in total.
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:20 am

^ :mrgreen:

I know no one is dumb enough to click, right?

Anyway, would still love kodi integration. Would be hella sweet.

Return to General discussion