FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Raspberry Pi 2 Serviio Server

<<

spudy12

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:13 pm

Raspberry Pi 2 Serviio Server

Just wondering how well the new raspberry pi would stand up as a serviio media server? Would it be powerful enough to transcode lower quality media files?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:32 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 2 Serviio Server

spudy12 wrote:Just wondering how well the new raspberry pi would stand up as a serviio media server? Would it be powerful enough to transcode lower quality media files?

Might be OS dependent. I noticed that Windows 10 will have a compatible version.

The CPU is a little slow, but being a quad core it might make up for it. The other limitation is RAM, having only 1 gig. As well optimized as it is, my first hunch would be that it might support a single transcoding stream, but probably would be iffy with a 2nd. Frankly, at that price, it's worth playing around with it.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

spudy12

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:53 pm

Yes for the price i think its well worth a play. I have ordered one and when I get some free time will have a play. I assume it can be overclocked quite well like the previous Pi.
<<

Zapp

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:10 am

Tried the Pi 2 as Serviio server, but couldn't get it to work till now. I try to watch a twitch stream. I can see the different qualities, but when I try to start the stream it always tells mit that the file readable. I tested every profile (like I did with the windows machine before, what helped)

I have to say I'm a newbie to Linux but I followed two how-tos:
One to install serviio: http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=how ... l:raspbian
The other one to compile ffmpeg: http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=build_ffmpeg_linux

I had some problems to install libfaac-dev following the second how-to (it wasn't in the repository) but I could add a repository to source.list and installed it later.
I guess it is a problem caused through ffmpeg.

I'll try some local files later.

Edit: Started from scratch and followed the first how-to and it works.
I had to find another address for libaacplus. I used
  Code:
wget http://tipok.org.ua/downloads/media/aacplus/libaacplus/libaacplus-2.0.2.tar.gz

instead of
  Code:
wget http://217.20.164.161/~tipok/aacplus/libaacplus-2.0.2.tar.gz

I can watch the streams in source, high, low and mobile quality. But the first two qualities are two heavy for either the network and/or the Pi. They stagnate constantly. Dunno why medium doesn't work. I always get the message that the file is not readable.
<<

NX3

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:14 am

Are you running the os of the sd card? Or faster usb device? For the pi I built for the wiki guide I put the os on either a usb hdd or a very fast usb stick. It just gives it all a bit of bandwidth to play with as pi io to sd is very slow.

Have you set number of cpus in console for pi 2?

Where did you set serviio transcode / tmp folder?
<<

spudy12

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:33 am

Usually running off a USB3 Memory Stick is better than the SD card. You will still need an SD card to boot with. Saying that, using a decent branded class 10 SD card should rival the performance these days.

You might be able to overclock the Pi 2 a little to give it a little extra headroom when transcoding. OBVIOUSLY this can damage your Pi and its YOUR responsibility.
Here is a link worth a read regarding overclocking: http://haydenjames.io/raspberry-pi-2-overclock/

Make sure you have set the number of cores that serviio can use, I would usually set it to 3 rather than 4 as you don't want the OS to lock up.
<<

NX3

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:38 am

Even using a very fast sd (sandisk extreme ) card I found usb3 stick much faster (80mb/s) simply because of the way the Pi i/o system works.
<<

leandrodeassis

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:24 am

Hi, i'm using Serviio in rpi2, just described as in my sign.
Working great, no transcoding btw, using ServiiDroid to manage the server.

I recommend using the oracle java, it was more faster than the openjdk.
Serviio 1.9 on Raspberry Pi 2 (Oracle Java 1.8 on Arch Linux ARM)
Local Renderers: LG 42LB5800, LG 55UB8200, MX Player PRO.
<<

NX3

DLNA master

Post Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:48 am

I updated to Pi2 as well all works great.

Return to General discussion