FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

What is best version of Serviio for WHS 2011?

<<

g725s

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:28 pm

What is best version of Serviio for WHS 2011?

I am interested in Serviio for my WHS 2011 box. What is the best version of Serviio for WHS 2011 and where would I find it?

And is this site the same product: https://serviiowhs.codeplex.com/ ???
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:01 pm

Re: What is best version of Serviio for WHS 2011?

WHS doesn't require a "special" version. Just use the standard Windows installation.

What you linked to is a WHS console plug-in for Serviio. However, it hasn't worked since Serviio versions of long ago. Something like version 0.6.2, and Serviio is up to version 1.5.2. This plug-in isn't necessary to run Serviio on WHS 2011, it was just a slightly more convenient method of making console adjustments. Instead of just running the WHS Dashboard and being able to adjust Serviio, you'll have to log into the WHS desktop and use the Serviio console. No big deal, really.

I have a WHS 2011 on my home network, but I only use it for backing up my other computers. I did try Serviio on it, and I did try this Dashboard plug-in. Never got it to work, because I was always using a version of Serviio that was newer than the plug-in supported.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

g725s

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:15 pm

atc98092 wrote:WHS doesn't require a "special" version. Just use the standard Windows installation.

What you linked to is a WHS console plug-in for Serviio. However, it hasn't worked since Serviio versions of long ago. Something like version 0.6.2, and Serviio is up to version 1.5.2. This plug-in isn't necessary to run Serviio on WHS 2011, it was just a slightly more convenient method of making console adjustments. Instead of just running the WHS Dashboard and being able to adjust Serviio, you'll have to log into the WHS desktop and use the Serviio console. No big deal, really.

I have a WHS 2011 on my home network, but I only use it for backing up my other computers. I did try Serviio on it, and I did try this Dashboard plug-in. Never got it to work, because I was always using a version of Serviio that was newer than the plug-in supported.

I run my server headless in a beadroom closet and don't use a remote acce$$ card, so logging in means hooking up a monitor and keyboard when I need to. It is really just a place to store my files and handles 3 client backups as of this point. How does Serviio transcode FLAC, do you know? I'd only want to use it if it transcodes FLAC to WAV so no loss of audio quality. And will Serviio run as a DNLA server on WHS 2011 without having to be user logged in?
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:54 pm

FLAC - depends on the profile, but for lossless it transcodes to LPCM, if your device supports it.

It runs as a service, so you don't have to be logged in.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:12 am

g725s wrote:
atc98092 wrote:WHS doesn't require a "special" version. Just use the standard Windows installation.

I run my server headless in a beadroom closet and don't use a remote acce$$ card, so logging in means hooking up a monitor and keyboard when I need to. It is really just a place to store my files and handles 3 client backups as of this point. How does Serviio transcode FLAC, do you know? I'd only want to use it if it transcodes FLAC to WAV so no loss of audio quality. And will Serviio run as a DNLA server on WHS 2011 without having to be user logged in?

You don't have to hook up a monitor to get to your server. From another Windows computer on your network, run Remote Desktop Connection. Your WHS should be enabled for this by default. I ran mine headless for about a year, until I brought it in from the garage and stuck it in my home office, along with my primary Serviio box. I use a KVM switch for them, but used Remote Desktop before then. Other than a slight lag in performance, it's no different than sitting directly at the screen.

Dan
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

g725s

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:50 am

atc98092 wrote:
g725s wrote:

You don't have to hook up a monitor to get to your server. From another Windows computer on your network, run Remote Desktop Connection. Your WHS should be enabled for this by default. I ran mine headless for about a year, until I brought it in from the garage and stuck it in my home office, along with my primary Serviio box. I use a KVM switch for them, but used Remote Desktop before then. Other than a slight lag in performance, it's no different than sitting directly at the screen.

Dan

Yes I do use the Dashboard to handle all my WHS2011 task. I thought you were saying that you had to log in to the server itself to run Serviio.

Anyway after some consideration I decided to try Asset UPnP http://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm as it seemed more tuned to dealing with audio files like mine. And it does add an Add-In to the Dashboard on WHS 2011 and is easy to manage from there http://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-whs-manual.html .

Thanks for your help
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:47 pm

Yes, no need to log into the computer for Serviio to run. It runs as a Windows Service with no login necessary. You would only need to log into the Windows desktop to use the Serviio console.

Also, you can install just the Serviio console on another computer and connect via your network to your WHS server to manage Serviio, no desktop login required at the server. The only thing to remember is that when you update the Serviio server, you have to update the console version on the other computer at the same time. Both have to be the same version. In my opinion, this is easier than using the WHS dashboard. It takes forever to start the dashboard, while the Serviio console loads far faster.

To my understanding, it is not possible to transcode FLAC to WAV. However, will your playback device support the FLAC format? It's possible you can stream them as is.

Dan
Dan

<<

g725s

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:38 pm

atc98092 wrote:Yes, no need to log into the computer for Serviio to run. It runs as a Windows Service with no login necessary. You would only need to log into the Windows desktop to use the Serviio console.

Also, you can install just the Serviio console on another computer and connect via your network to your WHS server to manage Serviio, no desktop login required at the server. The only thing to remember is that when you update the Serviio server, you have to update the console version on the other computer at the same time. Both have to be the same version. In my opinion, this is easier than using the WHS dashboard. It takes forever to start the dashboard, while the Serviio console loads far faster.

To my understanding, it is not possible to transcode FLAC to WAV. However, will your playback device support the FLAC format? It's possible you can stream them as is.

Dan

I'm going to give Asset UPnP a bit of a try and then load up Serviio as I also have some video as I'm interested in how it will handle that. Can I run both Serviio and Asset UPnP at the same time on same machine?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:41 pm

I'm not familiar with Asset, but as long as it uses a different port number than Serviio you will likely be OK. I run Plex along with Serviio on both of my servers. Plex was for when the Roku didn't support DLNA. Now that they do, I rarely use it. One of these days I'll probably remove it, so it isn't taking CPU power away from other things. :)
Dan

<<

g725s

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:50 pm

atc98092 wrote:I'm not familiar with Asset, but as long as it uses a different port number than Serviio you will likely be OK. I run Plex along with Serviio on both of my servers. Plex was for when the Roku didn't support DLNA. Now that they do, I rarely use it. One of these days I'll probably remove it, so it isn't taking CPU power away from other things. :)

I also have a Roku and see that it has a PLEX app. I'm curious about PLEX. I have an HTPC connected to my HDTV and use XBMC for my mkv collection and the other great features of XBMC(now Kodi). How do you use the Roku with PLEX? Did you install PLEX directly on your server, and then use the Roku to access PLEX on the server? I mentioned it before but I keep my WHS2011 box headless in a closet. It s really just for file storage and client backups.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:04 am

g725s wrote:
atc98092 wrote:I'm not familiar with Asset, but as long as it uses a different port number than Serviio you will likely be OK. I run Plex along with Serviio on both of my servers. Plex was for when the Roku didn't support DLNA. Now that they do, I rarely use it. One of these days I'll probably remove it, so it isn't taking CPU power away from other things. :)

I also have a Roku and see that it has a PLEX app. I'm curious about PLEX. I have an HTPC connected to my HDTV and use XBMC for my mkv collection and the other great features of XBMC(now Kodi). How do you use the Roku with PLEX? Did you install PLEX directly on your server, and then use the Roku to access PLEX on the server? I mentioned it before but I keep my WHS2011 box headless in a closet. It s really just for file storage and client backups.

The one problem with Plex is that it doesn't run as a service. Someone has to be logged in. You can do that with the Remote Desktop, then disconnect, leaving the login in effect.

Plex has a nice user interface, and for me that's really the only draw. It doesn't support playlists, which I use extensively. My preferred player on the Roku is the Roku Media Player. It sees Serviio just fine, and has a pretty nice interface as well. The Roku profile on Serviio works pretty good, so there's really no advantage to using Plex (at least for me).
Dan

Return to General discussion