FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio as an ISP MEDIA STREAM SERVER

<<

ronnyrock

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:39 pm

Serviio as an ISP MEDIA STREAM SERVER

Hi!!
One friend has an fiber optical ISP, and we want install an SERVIIO server for offer; movies, audio, videoclips, series, concerts, and all multimedia content to your clients as an service.

The network is in optical fiber, the bandwith is not problem. I believe no will use codec's for no overload the CPU server, all the normal traffic.

The network is small; approximately 100 clients. The transfer in MKV (HD) is aprox 20Mbps but the network is in fiber, there is no problem.

In the side of client we want install; Android TVBOX as an; M8 player, or VIGICA android player, or android tv box, and will install the SERVIIGO APK them the client can see all the movies, or concerts, in your TV. Also can see all in your tablet or laptop or smartphone.

Someone has implemented this service? any comments?. For 100 clients we want install I7 server with 32Gb RAM. WIll be correct this hardware?. In an linux Ubuntu plataform running only in console (Level 3) for dont charge X11 or Gnome for save CPU.

Best regards!!

Rock.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:13 pm

Re: Serviio as an ISP MEDIA STREAM SERVER

Are all 100 clients within the same network, or are you talking about being outside the firewall and on the Internet? If inside the firewall, then the normal DLNA functionality should be fine, and I believe your server hardware will be adequate. Of course the server will need the fiber connection straight to the box, since you would be looking at over 2Gbps bandwidth if everyone connected at once.

And that begs the question about bandwidth. Just saying it's fiber doesn't mean much, as fiber can mean vary different speeds. Is it 1Gbit, 10Gbit, or higher? Obviously, only 1Gbit could be a problem. Even with sufficient network bandwidth, you now run into the thoughtput of the hard drives. I know of no drive that can maintain that kind of thoughtput. So, in reality you need either multiple servers with load sheading, or one massive server with enough hard drives to spread the load across the drives. Of course, you still only have the one data bus for everything. SAS drives might work better, but I'm unfamiliar with them.

Let's say you have 12 3TB hard drives in Raid 5. That gives 4 partitions of 3TB each. If you distribute your most popular videos on different partitions, it's likely that the load would spread across the drives so no one partition is seeing the full load. That should help ease the traffic on each partition and provide seamless streaming. All it takes is multiple users (say more than 6-8) accessing the same partition at the same time to have the potential for bottlenecks.

I haven't addressed the users being outside the firewall. If that's the case, it becomes far more involved and beyond trying to discuss it here. Give us some more details as lets see where it goes.

EDIT: I'm unfamiliar with ServiiGo, and if that has the ability to work outside the firewall that may resolve that issue. The other hardware items I listed would still be valid to consider.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

ronnyrock

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:34 am

Wow!! thanks for you reply...
Yes, all the 100 clients are in the same LAN. The SERVIIO server is in the same LAN too.
I dont can use DLNA because in every client have a router. DLNA only works in the same LAN.
This router is for separate the WAN and the LAN for each client. This router is very necesary, this router is under our administration. Yes, all the clients are connected in a 10/100/1000 switch I want put in 10Gb interface the serviio server (in the same switch).... wow the bandwith is no problem...
Because this (the router), we need run the server via web, cant use DLNA only use web movie server.
The android APK is for install in the TVBOX, this tvbox run android system and this tvbox will be connect to TV. This tvbox will run the movie over the TV.

This only is an I7 PC server, I think will need more hardware really??, which you do advise me?? OK, I will put in run for say the CPU. This will run ubuntu in level 3.

Thanks for all !!... If you have a best idea please write here!!

regards

Rock !!
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:13 pm

Btw, you will need a business license (different to pro editiion) if you are using Servio to drive your business.

http://serviio.org/contact
<<

ronnyrock

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:04 pm

"Btw, you will need a business license (different to pro editiion) if you are using Servio to drive your business."
Which is the different between the business license and pro edition license??. We have pro-edition. I can have more settings??
Please your help.
Regards

Ronald.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:46 am

You say they are on the same LAN, then you say each client is behind a router. So no, they are not on the same LAN. However, you are still inside the Internet firewall from the sounds of it, so depending on the routers being used it would be possible to pass DLNA between the clients and our Serviio box. Using an app as you describe may be the simplest solution. I'm glad Zip mentioned the business license issue, and he'll give you more info there.

As I said, with that many users, your hardware may have an issue keeping up. That's why I mentioned a server "farm" that spreads the load between different servers. I don't think the CPU is an issue, especially since you have total control of the content and you can ensure nothing will require transcoding. Again, I'm more concerned with the potential bottleneck at the hard drive interface. SATA drives have a maximum (theoretical) speed of 6 Gbps, although in reality most hard drives can't sustain anywhere near that.

I believe hard drives are available with more than one read/write head, which are designed for media servers like you are proposing. This way the file read load is spread between heads and less chance of demand overloading its ability to provide. Of course, this all costs, and I have no idea what your budget is like.

Of course, the odds that all 100 users are viewing the same file from the same server at the same time is pretty slim. That's why I thought multiple hard drives with the most popular media files spread across them will help reduce the load. It's even unlikely that more than 20-30% of your users are streaming at one time, so your single server might well be enough for quite some time. You may just need to give it a try, and if it becomes overloaded then add more.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:47 pm

ronnyrock wrote:"Btw, you will need a business license (different to pro editiion) if you are using Servio to drive your business."
Which is the different between the business license and pro edition license??. We have pro-edition. I can have more settings??
Please your help.
Regards

Ronald.

It's not for more settings. But the Pro edition is only for home end users, not businesses using Serviio in their business.
<<

ronnyrock

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:08 pm

Yes, the routers of the clients are in the same LAN of the clients.

OK... I understand... thanks...

I will buy the usiness license. Thanks for all !!!...

best regards

RonnyRock

Return to General discussion