FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Streaming over vpn

<<

sajansen

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:09 pm

Streaming over vpn

Hey, i trying to do the following:

Source: computer in my home network (internet: 200/20) -> Connection: vpn:pptp -> Destination: a friends home (internet: 30/3)

from my friends home i start up my laptop (running serviio) and connect to vpn. i already have the database scanned and everything in it. when im at my friends place, i can vieuw the list just fine... after a bit it starts streaming but then the problem accrues: after about 6 seconds the movie needs to buffer again and this keeps happening. when i try movies that are stored on my laptop itself, everything works fine. that would eliminate everything between serviio and the media player i guess...so the problem has to be around the vpn and input to serviio?

you may think internet is to slow to stream it... but this is not the problem because my upload is 20Mbit and my movies are lower. also when i stream them in vlc it works just fine. when i look at my internet usage it uses around 5 Mbit and other movies it doesnt go more then 3Mbit... so somehow it uses just a bit less then what the movie exactly is. is there a way to fix this?

i did try another media streamer and that one had the same problem.

i also tried using IP and mounted network folder but it didnt change anything with the performance.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:28 am

Re: Streaming over vpn

VPN adds overhead to your Internet connection. You may have 20Mbps upload, but after the VPN takes it's share you may drop more than you would think. When I VPN into work, it is almost laughable how slow my connection is. I have 50/5, but you'd think I was on dial-up! I don't know exactly what their upload speed is, but since we're the US Gvmt I expect it is more than I can use. When I open a simple spreadsheet from a work server, it can take 45 seconds or longer to open. And this is a tiny file size. I could probably download it faster and run it local.

So, depending on the quality of the file you are playing (is it HD?), you could easily reach the level to end up buffering. I'm not sure, but the DLNA protocol might be adding network overhead to the stream as well.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

sajansen

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:58 am

f you connect to a company... thats because thy limited the speeds to be able to share there full speed between the local users and the vpn users and still have usable speeds... the thing is, i have setup the vpn server myself and there are no limitations on it... i can run a speed test at my friends and still get 20/3 where the 20 is my upload and the 3 is his upload. so the connection is being used to full speeds

and yes, the files are in HD 720 or 1080... but there not to big to be played. i tested with vlc at my friends and it played just like at home... working just fine, at that moment my internet was used like 17Mbit of the 20Mbit i have avalible.

and for as far as i know DLNA is the bit between serviio and the media player... witch stays within the network of my friends... the bit of data what needs to go over the vpn is between de movie files and serviio where it still needs to be converted so im guessing that its just normal data transfer? well im having serviio on my laptop so most of the things should be working locally where im playing the video...

also i dont get why one movie gets 2Mbit speed and another with higher bitrate gets 6Mbit... so the lower movie could easely use the 6Mbit because its possible to get that speed if another file can do that... it looks to me its the program that converts it... its loading speed is limited to about what the movie needs to run smoothly so thy system isny fully stressed to convert and be to fast with rendering... at least its something around there... because thats the part that probably is to slow when used over vpn... the bit that pickes up the file before rendering...

I can see my internet usage in a graph in real time and it also shows that pausing the video isnt helping with buffering, it just stops doing anything until i press play again so there is something in serviio... and most other media servers im guessing... that detects how much needs to be loaded from the source file to be able to keep up with the player playing the file... and thats probably what doesnt like vpn and thus is just that bit to slow... but im no programmer so i dont know how to fix it...
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:40 am

First, even if you set up the VPN yourself, the VPN process reduces your thoughtput somewhat. Sounds like yours is working well, but you do lose a little.

Now, the fact VLC will play the files directly across the VPN means that thoughtput shouldn't be an issue. The next question is, what are you playing the files with: a TV or Blu-Ray player? A media streaming box? The Serviio MediaBrowser? What profile is Serviio assigning to the player (MediaBrowser is different)? The wrong profile could cause playback issues that have nothing to do with the network. I believe MediaBrowser needs to transcode almost everything, so that could be an issue as well.

Just so I'm clear: all your media is located on a computer somewhere other than where you are running Serviio on a laptop. You are accessing the media files across the VPN, and you're sure Serviio isn't reindexing your files after reconnecting across the VPN.

If that's the case, my gut feeling is that Serviio should remain on your home network, and you use MediaBrowser to play movies from a remote location. The VPN would not be required, and you are not sending the raw files across the Internet.

I use this method when I'm traveling. I have successfully watched something on my iPad using a slow 3G connection. It does struggle with HD video at that slow of a speed, but you can select to lower the resolution from the player window in MediaBrowser. With most hotel internet speeds, streaming HD is iffy at best. Even Netflix can be troublesome. Of course, the hotel wants you to pay to watch the movies they offer on their system. :D
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

marko weber

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:52 pm

sajansen,

i can tell you it works. BUT with a little "BUT"...........

I have at home a vpn to german provider where the server is connected to an 200mbit lane.
At home i have 100mbit down / 6mbit up.
At the remote server serviio is running and is connected to tun device.
From home the vpn is connecting to the remote server.

At home, a Westernd Digital TV Box is connected at the vpn box, so it can "see" the serviio server and play the content from there.
Without "stuttering" as long as........... the content is not encoder higher then 7000 kbps.
All above 7000 kbps is stuttering.
Search forum for VPN, i discussed this with the author of serviio long ago.,......

We need skilled people with knowledge about network and the protocol serviio is using............

i Have 12 hops from remote server to my home. best ping rate is 25ms worst 34ms , and avg is 28ms
I dont believe its the 28ms , maybe the 12 hops that make over 7000 kbps impossible...

i asked my self how amazon is doing this with firetv, this works like a charme...

maybe u try this with a hardware media player, this works here like charme, but not over 7000 kbps

if you are interested i can paste the openvpn config from server...

marko
<<

marko weber

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:58 pm

oh hmmm look at this:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19019&p=101329&hilit=openvpn#p101329

spudy12 wrote:
Why not just set up an openvpn server on your dedicated server (or somewhere on your internal network) thats always connected. Then your dedicated server will appear to be on your home network and DLNA will work as normal?

DLNA and upnp where not designed to be used over the web.
<<

laurenaria10

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:27 am

atc98092 wrote:First, even if you set up the VPN yourself, the VPN process reduces your thoughtput somewhat. Sounds like yours is working well, but you do lose a little.

Now, the fact VLC will play the files directly across the VPN means that thoughtput shouldn't be an issue. The next question is, what are you playing the files with: a TV or Blu-Ray player? A media streaming box? The Serviio MediaBrowser? What profile is Serviio assigning to the player (MediaBrowser is different)? The wrong profile could cause playback issues that have nothing to do with the network. I believe MediaBrowser needs to transcode almost everything, so that could be an issue as well.

Just so I'm clear: all your media is located on a computer somewhere other than where you are running Serviio on a laptop. You are accessing the media files across the VPN, and you're sure Serviio isn't reindexing your files after reconnecting across the VPN.

If that's the case, my gut feeling is that Serviio should remain on your home network, and you use MediaBrowser to play movies from a remote location. The VPN would not be required, and you are not sending the raw files across the Internet.

I use this method when I'm traveling. I have successfully watched something on my iPad using a slow 3G connection. It does struggle with HD video at that slow of a speed, but you can select to lower the resolution from the player window in MediaBrowser. With most hotel internet speeds, streaming HD is iffy at best. Even Netflix can be troublesome. Of course, the hotel wants you to pay to watch the movies they offer on their system. :D

What VPN you are using? I am using Purevpn and i am experience the perfect streaming of its. In fact i unblock Netflix during travel and it didn't slow my streaming.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:43 pm

I have no idea what VPN firewall the government uses. The client we use is Juniper Networks, so that may be the firewall as well. Because of the security/encryption involved, I know there's a tremendous slowdown of traffic through it.
Dan

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:37 pm

A) What you are asking is not related to Serviio
B) We were discussing a completely different type of VPN that is also not related to your request

Now, as to what you did ask, I'm not sure. I'm in the US and don't have a need for VPN access. My daughter is studying in England right now, she can actually view some titles while there using her US account. What else she uses, I'm afraid I have no idea. Since Netflix claims to have clamped down on VPN use, my guess is as soon as you discover one that works it will get shut down by Netflix. It's a shame that you can't access your Netflix account from anywhere on Earth. It would seem that if you have a US account you should be able to access their US supplied content anywhere.
Dan

<<

h20

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:18 pm

Decreasing of your internet connection may be explain by using VPN service. The speed of your connection may vary depending on the distance from your VPN server and the present traffic. You can test you ISP https://www.eff.org/ru/testyourisp Also you can change server. It would be better select a server that is geographically close to you. This website helps me to choose an appropriate one, maybe it’ll be useful for you too https://www.bestvpnrating.com/vpnrating/best-vpns-usa If you prefer your VPN provider and won’t give up on it, switch devices. Some of them may be not capable of proving high speeds. These devices often include routers, NAS, older Android and iOS devices. There are more simple ways, such as restarting router and devices or testing connection from another location. Hope that one of these steps will help you ;)
<<

albina83

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:07 am

might be useful to check https://vpntrends.com and read some articles about fast vpn providers..
<<

mariad

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:33 pm

Hello all, i want to watch Motogp on live streaming, Can someone please mention the channels that can be used.

Maria
<<

MSGBen

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:21 pm

Hello @Mariad. which device are you using for streaming?
<<

mariad

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:08 am

MSGBen wrote:Hello @Mariad. which device are you using for streaming?

Hey, thanks for your time. Well currently i stream on my Mac, whichever url i get hold of to watch the event but it sometimes work sometimes do not. If it is so can you recommend which device should i go for to get the live streaming.
<<

MSGBen

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:46 pm

mariad wrote:

Hey, thanks for your time. Well currently i stream on my Mac, whichever url i get hold of to watch the event but it sometimes work sometimes do not. If it is so can you recommend which device should i go for to get the live streaming.

There a lot of channels that you can visit to see live coverage of sports event but they are paid. Are you using any sort of streaming engines? Like Kodi, hulu or any other?
<<

mariad

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:54 pm

MSGBen wrote:
mariad wrote:

There a lot of channels that you can visit to see live coverage of sports event but they are paid. Are you using any sort of streaming engines? Like Kodi, hulu or any other?

I know there are many available, but i am not able to stream don't know why. So far have not installed anything like Kodi or Hulu. Tell me is it free to use?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:32 pm

Kodi is media streaming and viewing software for a computer. It doesn't have any connection to Serviio, but is capable of streaming media from Serviio. It also has a large number of plug-ins that might provide some of the channels you are seeking. But again, it runs on a computer.

Hulu is a pay streaming site, similar to Netflix, Vudu, or Amazon Streaming Video. It is not something you can add to Serviio. There used to be a Hulu plug-in for Serviio, but they changed their web site and it no longer works. Same with many other plug-ins that used to be able to stream a web site via Serviio that no longer function.
Dan

<<

MSGBen

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:34 am

atc98092 wrote:Kodi is media streaming and viewing software for a computer. It doesn't have any connection to Serviio, but is capable of streaming media from Serviio. It also has a large number of plug-ins that might provide some of the channels you are seeking. But again, it runs on a computer.

Hulu is a pay streaming site, similar to Netflix, Vudu, or Amazon Streaming Video. It is not something you can add to Serviio. There used to be a Hulu plug-in for Serviio, but they changed their web site and it no longer works. Same with many other plug-ins that used to be able to stream a web site via Serviio that no longer function.

This guy explained it all. @atc98092
<<

mariad

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:00 pm

atc98092 wrote:Kodi is media streaming and viewing software for a computer. It doesn't have any connection to Serviio, but is capable of streaming media from Serviio. It also has a large number of plug-ins that might provide some of the channels you are seeking. But again, it runs on a computer.

Thank you for the explanation. I will have to check it out over the weekend and be ready with it before the next race.
<<

MSGBen

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:31 am

mariad wrote:

Thank you for the explanation. I will have to check it out over the weekend and be ready with it before the next race.

So were you able to watch the race then?
Next

Return to General discussion