FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Streaming over vpn

<<

mariad

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:38 am

Re: Streaming over vpn

Unfortunately, i had to watch it on a live stream. Although i download Kodi but it took so long before that the race was ending. So had to go on with the channel only although it lagged a lot and was quite frustrating.
I want to ask, that i have done installing Kodi on my Mac, now do i need to install some specific plugin or i just need to play?
<<

MSGBen

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:05 am

mariad wrote:Unfortunately, i had to watch it on a live stream. Although i download Kodi but it took so long before that the race was ending. So had to go on with the channel only although it lagged a lot and was quite frustrating.
I want to ask, that i have done installing Kodi on my Mac, now do i need to install some specific plugin or i just need to play?

Well, after you've installed best vpn for kodi, you need to add add-ons, for sports, let's say SportsDevil is the most running add-on, just search it on google how to add XYZ add-on to Kodi and it will guide ya. After the add-on has been added successfully you can stream your favourite sports through it. But you've to check it if, what you're trying to stream is not region-locked, for that I would say use any vpn. But a paid one
Last edited by MSGBen on Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

mariad

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed May 10, 2017 11:30 am

Does vyprvpn have dedicated servers to work with kodi or any location would do.
<<

MSGBen

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed May 24, 2017 8:04 am

mariad wrote:Does vyprvpn have dedicated servers to work with kodi or any location would do.

Vypr I believe does not give dedicated IPs on vpn. You have to talk to their support. Once updated, post it here as well
<<

mariad

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat May 27, 2017 1:29 pm

Asked their support this is what they had to say "we do offer VyprVPN Cloud to VyprVPN Premium and Business customers. This service can utilize a Static or Dedicated IP address"
<<

MSGBen

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:24 am

mariad wrote:Asked their support this is what they had to say "we do offer VyprVPN Cloud to VyprVPN Premium and Business customers. This service can utilize a Static or Dedicated IP address"

Oh nice. I did not know that. Thanks Mariad!
<<

MSGBen

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:32 am

I am talking to their support. let's see if I could get a custom made deal.
<<

h20

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:38 am

I wonder why you don't know about this https://www.bestvpnrating.com/blog/best ... -algorithm because this can solve everything you ask here. I'm sure it's the best way to make it work
<<

mariad

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:48 am

MSGBen wrote:I am talking to their support. let's see if I could get a custom made deal.

Any luck with the support?

h20 wrote:I wonder why you don't know about this https://www.bestvpnrating.com/blog/best ... -algorithm because this can solve everything you ask here. I'm sure it's the best way to make it work

Had a look at the site, seems good.
<<

savyy

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:37 pm

I guess you are using a free VPN or a VPN that has slow server, try using a different server or a Fast VPN with fast servers best for streaming, without compromising on security. A fast VPN will make u recover from all lags and buffering issue, making your streaming experience better
<<

jhneyalia

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:59 am

mariad wrote:Asked their support this is what they had to say "we do offer VyprVPN Cloud to VyprVPN Premium and Business customers. This service can utilize a Static or Dedicated IP address"

So finally you avail the offer that you need to go with.. here is another turn for you... i have some guide for you to understand all this matter
Her is a Complete Guide : https://www.bestvpn.co/best-vpn-for-kodi/
Last edited by jhneyalia on Tue May 29, 2018 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

DrePGN

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:22 pm

sajansen wrote:Hey, i trying to do the following:

Source: computer in my home network (internet: 200/20) -> Connection: vpn:pptp -> Destination: a friends home (internet: 30/3)

from my friends home i start up my laptop (running serviio) and connect to vpn. i already have the database scanned and everything in it. when im at my friends place, i can vieuw the list just fine... after a bit it starts streaming but then the problem accrues: after about 6 seconds the movie needs to buffer again and this keeps happening. when i try movies that are stored on my laptop itself, everything works fine. that would eliminate everything between serviio and the media player i guess...so the problem has to be around the vpn and input to serviio?

you may think internet is to slow to stream it... but this is not the problem because my upload is 20Mbit and my movies are lower. also when i stream them in vlc it works just fine. when i look at my internet usage it uses around 5 Mbit and other movies it doesnt go more then 3Mbit... so somehow it uses just a bit less then what the movie exactly is. is there a way to fix this?

i did try another media streamer and that one had the same problem.

i also tried using IP and mounted network folder but it didnt change anything with the performance.

which VPN do you use? i haven't found one good enough for me, yet.
<<

MikeL

Serviio lover

Post Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:05 pm

When using Mediabrowser from a remote location (either through a VPN or not) what is the streaming protocol that is used? Is it RTMP or something else? Given that the file being streamed is of a fixed quality there is no need for an adaptive streaming protocol such as HLS or DASH.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:09 am

MikeL wrote:When using Mediabrowser from a remote location (either through a VPN or not) what is the streaming protocol that is used? Is it RTMP or something else? Given that the file being streamed is of a fixed quality there is no need for an adaptive streaming protocol such as HLS or DASH.

Zip just answered in another post that the streaming protocol is HTTP.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:01 pm

HLS (over HTTP) is used for transcoded files. MP4 is not streamable format, so on-the-fly transcoding can only be done via HLS.
<<

MikeL

Serviio lover

Post Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:20 pm

Not sure I fully understand. If I have an mp4 file and have serviio set to stream at High quality then no transcoding takes place and the client (over http) makes GET requests to ask for large chunks of the source file incrementing to pointer of where it wants the data from on each successive GET. What is the name given to that kind of streaming protocol?

If I now set serviio to stream at medium quality and select the same file then the file is transcoded and produces a large number of .ts files. The client requests each one of these ts files in sequence (again over http with GET requests). I thought that this latter approach was referred to as HLS.

Am I missing something?
<<

PadSt3

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:01 pm

atc98092 wrote:VPN adds overhead to your Internet connection. You may have 20Mbps upload, but after the VPN takes it's share you may drop more than you would think. When I VPN into work, it is almost laughable how slow my connection is. I have 50/5, but you'd think I was on dial-up! I don't know exactly what their upload speed is, but since we're the US Gvmt I expect it is more than I can use. When I open a simple spreadsheet from a work server, it can take 45 seconds or longer to open. And this is a tiny file size. I could probably download it faster and run it local.

So, depending on the quality of the file you are playing (is it HD?), you could easily reach the level to end up buffering. I'm not sure, but the DLNA protocol might be adding network overhead to the stream as well.

exactly what atc said. vpns may slow things down a little for you depending on what you'r using it for. it's usually the opportunity cost involved for the encryption you get.
<<

PadSt3

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:19 pm

mariad wrote:Unfortunately, i had to watch it on a live stream. Although i download Kodi but it took so long before that the race was ending. So had to go on with the channel only although it lagged a lot and was quite frustrating.

hey :) kodi runs on addons which are obtained through zip files or repositories (also called repos). most addons get you recorded streams but there are addons that can get you live streams as well... take sports devil for instance. not all of them might be okay with dmca or so, so you'll have to be a little vigilant about it, so to speak.

kodi might lag if either your connection is slow or if the streaming server is full or overloaded. you might also face issues if you're using a vpn and you're internet is so slow it can't afford to lose a couple of mbs just so your kodi vpn can encrypt the data for you.

about how to get addons, you can either get them through zip file or through kodi's file manager section where you add source, enter the respective, working URL to get the repo and then use that repo to get the addon.

on how to get a working vpn with kodi, you can just google it and get any kodi vpn and then side-load the app as you run kodi (especially in case of mac, windows and android)
<<

GeybSF

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:28 pm

atc98092 wrote:Kodi is media streaming and viewing software for a computer. It doesn't have any connection to Serviio, but is capable of streaming media from Serviio. It also has a large number of plug-ins that might provide some of the channels you are seeking. But again, it runs on a computer.

Hulu is a pay streaming site, similar to Netflix, Vudu, or Amazon Streaming Video. It is not something you can add to Serviio. There used to be a Hulu plug-in for Serviio, but they changed their web site and it no longer works. Same with many other plug-ins that used to be able to stream a web site via Serviio that no longer function.

Thank you!
<<

topazy

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:06 pm

Thet my test. :)
FIOS at home and work, VPN'd to an RT-N66U, Steam reports <10ms input lag, around 80ms graphical lag. I've been playing all my games like this pretty much flawlessly. Really impressed so far. Also, you don't have to do the exit/reopen steam. Usually after a minute or so it will connect (I'm guessing it checks every 60 seconds or so).
http://i.imgur.com/b6OkOfh.jpg
Topazy.
PreviousNext

Return to General discussion