FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Using Serviio with Android set top box, any tips?

<<

Spaceboy64

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue May 24, 2016 6:15 pm

Using Serviio with Android set top box, any tips?

I just ordered an Android set top box, MXQ Pro+ TV Box 64Bit Android 5.1 - Amlogic S905 Quad Core 2GB RAM 16GB ROM 2.4G 5.8G Dual-band WiFi Bluetooth 4.0 Connectivity Support 4K.

I'm just wondering what I have to do to use it with Serviio. Also can Serviio and Kodi work together? or is there no point in that?

Thanks!
<<

pepa.sajdler

Serviio newbie

Post Sat May 28, 2016 7:14 pm

Re: Using Serviio with Android set top box, any tips?

I've been using BubbleUPNP and MX Player on my phones/tablets together with Serviio, and it works perfectly.
Kodi and Serviio can work together, I used it a few years ago, but there's usually no point since Kodi can stream itself. I think I had Kodi reading Serviio as source, but I'm not really sure...

Odesláno z mého A0001 pomocí Tapatalk
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun May 29, 2016 2:59 am

Yes, Kodi can stream itself, but then all your media has to be connected to the Kodi box, either directly or over the network. However, I personally don't like having my media on a separate box from my streaming server, as it doubles the network traffic. One stream going from the source to the streaming server, then another back out to the player.

I've been considering playing with one of those Android boxes myself. They're inexpensive and many seem to support HD audio in the stream. I believe Android itself has a lot of video support, so it should work ok. Try it first with the generic profile (which transcodes nothing) and see if there's anything that doesn't play, then work from there.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

JakeChip

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:46 pm

I'm looking at getting an android box for streaming movies. Do I need a media server to use it? Does it already come with it's own media server? The one in particular that I'm looking at is the mymatrixtv android box, http://www.MyMatrixTV.com. If you can't already tell, I'm new at this.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:43 pm

JakeChip wrote:I'm looking at getting an android box for streaming movies. Do I need a media server to use it? Does it already come with it's own media server? The one in particular that I'm looking at is the mymatrixtv android box, http://www.MyMatrixTV.com. If you can't already tell, I'm new at this.

What you are looking at it is a media player, not a server. The web site you listed says they use XMBC, which is now called Kodi. Since they still refer to it as XMBC, they either haven't updated their web site in quite a while or they're using pretty old software.

Kodi/XMBC can be the media server, but I doubt you can add much in the way of storage (hard drives) to that box, so your library couldn't be very large. More that likely you could only plug in USB drives, and probably not many.

I would instead use Kodi as your front end player, and run Serviio on a computer somewhere else on your network. I've tested Kodi as a player, and it's not bad. And these small Android boxes can usually play almost any type of video or audio file without transcoding, so your Serviio computer wouldn't have to be mega-powerful.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

JakeChip

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:11 pm

Awesome. I'm a bit of a newbie at this, but I'm slowly learning. I appreciate the info!

atc98092 wrote:
JakeChip wrote:I'm looking at getting an android box for streaming movies. Do I need a media server to use it? Does it already come with it's own media server? The one in particular that I'm looking at is the mymatrixtv android box, http://www.MyMatrixTV.com. If you can't already tell, I'm new at this.

What you are looking at it is a media player, not a server. The web site you listed says they use XMBC, which is now called Kodi. Since they still refer to it as XMBC, they either haven't updated their web site in quite a while or they're using pretty old software.

Kodi/XMBC can be the media server, but I doubt you can add much in the way of storage (hard drives) to that box, so your library couldn't be very large. More that likely you could only plug in USB drives, and probably not many.

I would instead use Kodi as your front end player, and run Serviio on a computer somewhere else on your network. I've tested Kodi as a player, and it's not bad. And these small Android boxes can usually play almost any type of video or audio file without transcoding, so your Serviio computer wouldn't have to be mega-powerful.

Return to General discussion