FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Subtitles unavailable whilst accessing via Android VLC

<<

Satjit

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:30 pm

Subtitles unavailable whilst accessing via Android VLC

Hello,

I have VLC for Android v2.0.6 installed on my phone. I launch the app and choose the 'Local Network' option which displays the Serviio server.
Upon choosing 'Video', I can see all the video files displayed and pick one having the subtitles present in the same network folder, with an identical filename.

The file starts playing in VLC but subtitles are not displayed :(

Any help would be appreciated.
<<

Lokotito

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:38 am

Re: Subtitles unavailable whilst accessing via Android VLC

I tried many dlna players for android (from 2.7 to 7), and most of them doesn't support for subtitles over dlna (or upnp), even if they can play srt (or any format) in local mode.
For me, the best app is bubble upnp, with that you can choose your favorite player (I use mx player) and never have issues with subtitles over dlna, and the best part is that bubble can act as a remote dlna client over dlna (you can "send" the content of your serviio server to any other dlna client in same lan).

I remember also try previous version of vls, but didn't work with subs and serviio, so I made the conclusion that is the player not serviio.

Best regards.
<<

lagunaa

Serviio lover

Post Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:08 pm

Satjit wrote:I can see all the video files displayed and pick one having the subtitles present in the same network folder, with an identical filename.

The DLNA protocol doesn't support subtitles streaming, so you have to enable video transcoding to get it.
Cheers.
<<

PadSt3

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:03 pm

Satjit wrote:Hello,

I have VLC for Android v2.0.6 installed on my phone. I launch the app and choose the 'Local Network' option which displays the Serviio server.
Upon choosing 'Video', I can see all the video files displayed and pick one having the subtitles present in the same network folder, with an identical filename.

Any help would be appreciated.

that's weird. could be yoru vlc. try restarting your phone. if it still doesn't fetch subs, try reinstalling vlc, see if that helps. is any other player displaying subs btw?

Return to General discussion