FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Samsung smart tv not playing m3u8 streams

<<

Gubby

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:50 pm

Samsung smart tv not playing m3u8 streams

Hello guys,

First off i would like to apologize for starting a new thread with this.
I am sure there's a rather simple solution to this.. But my search skills have let me down.

So I've just purchased a Samsung 40h6400 smart tv (replaced my old crt finally) and everything seems to be working as expected including Serviio.

I've noticed the option to add online streams in serviio so i wanted to test it.
Found a stream, tested it in VLC works fine, added it in Serviio, all ok
My tv says unsupported content..

I've made some searches and found something about adding "|Content=HLS" to the Url.
When i did this in Serviio, it said the stream is not valid..
I've tried it in the tv's browser directly and i get a text page saying "Wooza Media server 3 Perpetual edition 3.5.0 build 2989"
The stream in question is "82.76.249.77/utvedge/utvlive/index.m3u8"

Like i said this is just a test. This particular stream doesn't mean the world to me, i just want to learn how to setup streams in Serviio so that my tv can see them.

Thanks
<<

Gubby

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:40 am

Re: Samsung smart tv not playing m3u8 streams

Right.

Your link wasn't really helpful, but after more related searches i've ended up installing Kodi on my laptop.
Activating some upnp setting allowed me to use kodi as a dlna server which meant i could see it next to Serviio in my smart tv's sources.

I still didn't find a way to view a stream on my smart tv.. I've read this http://kodi.wiki/view/Internet_video_and_audio_streams done exactly as instructed, but the cumbersome Kodi UI I have doesn't seem to recognize the file in any way.. It can't be added.. It can't be played..
Maybe I am missing something.. Or maybe there is a server only component to this xmbc/kodi that i did not find..

What i got stuck with is a cumbersome full screen only tv on pc like UI that can also be a DLNA Server..

I really prefer serviio, is there no way i can Add the stream in serviio to have it play on my tv?
<<

Gubby

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:32 am

Ok,

After searching some more threads I've found the issue to be a rather known Transcoding Profile Problem on Samsung SmartTVs

I am trying to follow this thread viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15978 but am having the same problem as the OP.. the newly added (correctly added) profile does not show up in my console.

The OP there mentioned the problem being there were two profiles with the same name .. so I changed the name of mine to "Myself".

If someone could look at my profile file and tell me what's wrong I would greatly appreciate it.
Attachments
profiles.xml
(141.59 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
<<

Gubby

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:17 am

I wanted to add, as i saw it mentioned on other threads, that:

- my current setup is perfectly able to render mkv files (though i believe the tv supports those without transcoding also)
- the stream works fine in serviio "Media Browser"
- i have bound Serviio and the tv to the correct IP addresses.

I would really like to try rendering the stream with the above mentioned LG Phone profile Which is said to "render anything"
Though i am beginning to believe it might be a specific m3u8 stream problem and not a transcoding one..

I just find it hard to believe that my 2014 tv would not play a technology which my 2007 phone can play..

Return to Video streams