FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Choppy HD Video

<<

marculos

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:16 am

Choppy HD Video

Hi, most of the Online HD streams are choppy / stuttery on my TV. Are the quality of the streams totally reliant on the internet connection speed? I notice when the streams are running that serviio is doing very little CPU wise so I guess I need to troubleshoot my internet ?

My Serviio pc is quad core, with 4gb ram, lan is 100 mbit, internet is 30 mbit Virgin so would of though that should be quick enough to stream HD quality stuff, I guess I could try and prioritise streaming on the router if possible.

I have no issues streaming stored content e.g full HD MKV files, SD internet streams seem ok too. I would be grateful on any ideas how to try and resolve this if it is possible to do so. Cheers
<<

mhand

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:22 am

Re: Choppy HD Video

Been pondering on this myself as I have the same issues, sometimes with SD streaming too. I've tried wired connection which makes no difference over wireless. No problems with stored content ever.

My guess is that it's down to load on the streaming providers servers as 'legit' streams - 4od and BBC iPlayer for example - are OK, and I can stream for hours perfectly until the football match that I - and presumably hundreds of thousands of other people - want to watch comes on !! for instance now, 10.30 GMT, both the Eurosport and Sky HD streams are running perfectly so I can rule out both my laptop and internet connection as a cause of the stuttering.

Noticed that when I do get the stuttering the log file shows lots of these messages

Code:
WARN  [ProcessExecutor] Process ffmpeg has a return code of 137! This is a possible error.

but oddly if I turn on DEBUG there are no errors or warnings and this messages doesn't appear
<<

marculos

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:37 am

ah yes never thought of that ! I'll test some other HD streams to see if the stuttering varies dependant on the popularity of the stream, guess not much we can do about this, might try and understand cccam again on my sat box to get foreign sport channels !
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:22 pm

Live streams are transcoded either just to mpeg-ts container if your tv/profile can play the video natively or to mpeg2video within an mpeg-ts container if your profile/tv cannot play the video natively.

I had 2 problems.

1) I had the serviio console transcoding set to use only one core and
2) the Samsung C/D profile by default was transcoding avc.flv files to MPEG-2 even though my tv can play them natively.

By increasing the number of cores, and fixing the profile, my HD now plays without any delays over wireless.
<<

marculos

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:25 am

I have it set to use all 4 cores, guess I need to check the profile I'm using , its a Bravia Kdl-32w5500 using the bravia 2009 profile and think it can play mpeg-ts.
<<

mhand

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:39 pm

I'm using both cores.

Using the Sony 2010 profile, which I understand is using the online transcoding settings from the main profile (as is the Sony 2009). I've tried adding an online transcoding section to the sony profile and tried various different settings but haven't been able to improve things, but I am kinda fumbling around in the dark here.

The only thing I've concluded is that the target container needs to be mpegts, which confuses me slightly as these streams are AVC (MPEG-4 part 10), MP4, which my tv should be able to play natively according to this http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/support-info.pl?info_id=799&mdl=KDL32EX523# unless I'm misunderstanding things.

jhb50, what changes to the Samsung profile did you make to get things working ?

cheers
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:37 pm

mpeg-ts is a wrapper containing the video and audio elementary streams. Streams must be wrapped in mpeg-ts but the elementary audio and video streams can be the same. My changes are at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5569#p40413 which results in just rewrapping and not transcoding the video elementary stream from avc to moeg2video which is what takes the resource.
<<

skogstep

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:06 am

http://www.tvsector.com/speedtest/

As the majority of the feeds are coming from the above source you can check the bandwidth you get from the address above.If you get pour download speeds your video will be choppy.If my DL speed from the source is above 5Mbps everything streams fine but it usually drops to around 2Mbps and HD streams will be unwatchable.I did a lot of tweaking of my settings trying to figure out why it was not working as it should until i found the above link.
<<

marculos

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:13 am

I get 25 mbps so don't think I have an issue with bandwidth
<<

mhand

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:40 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Makes a lot more sense now and seem to have cracked it

I copied the online transcoding section from the main profile and added it to the Sony 2010 profile with the maxVBitrate parameter

Code:
      <OnlineTranscoding>
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" maxVBitrate="300" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="384">
            <Matches container="mp4"/>
            <Matches container="flv" vCodec="h264"/>         
                <Matches container="applehttp" vCodec="h264"/>   
            <Matches container="rtp"/>
            <Matches container="rtsp"/>
            <Matches container="applehttp"/>
            <Matches container="asf"/> <!-- to support mms:// streams -->
            <Matches container="flv"/>
         </Video>
         <Audio targetContainer="mp3" aBitrate="384" forceInheritance="true">
            <Matches container="flv"/>
            <Matches container="asf"/>
         </Audio>
      </OnlineTranscoding>

Started with a maxVBitrate of 3000 and it was still choppy, then knocked a zero off and it plays perfectly. There is a very slight lag in the audio but not enough to bother me.

marculos, try adding the above to the 2009 profile and tweaking the value for maxVBitrate until you hit the sweet spot
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:30 pm

A lot of the above makes no sense and may be incorrect. I'm not disputing that it works but a working solution needs to be based on an understanding of why it works.

First the speed test does not test the bitrate from the tvsector site, so is meaningless in determining problems from that site. It only measures the speed to the isp you have selectedto run the test to. The only meaningful measurement is given by the task manager/networking on Windows (or equivalent) which shows the Bytes received per Interval (seconds) when playing a stream (assuming you do not have any other p2p or browser traffic)
Obviously if the streaming site cannot sustain an AVC input stream in the 300,000 Bps range it will not play correctly. As I type I am streaming Animal Planet from TVSector and the task manager shows an average 300,000 Bps with peaks up to 550,000Bps.

Secondly the above representation of what is in the generic profile for On-line Transcoding is incorrect. The generic profile contains sections that transcode some of the source to mpeg2video, whereas the above does not, which indicates to me that other stream types will now fail.

Lastly the maxVbitrate parameter is in Kbps so for a decent quality HD MPEG-2 video stream it needs to be 10000 to 15000. (Note SD/DVD video is in the 4000 to 9000 Kbps range but averages about 4000) On the basis that AVC can be up to 1/4 of the MPEG2 size, that means a decent quality AVC video stream needs to be 2500 to 4000 Kbps (300 to 500KBps). The use of 300Kbps maxVbitrate implies the resulting stream at 40,000 Bytes per second will be unwatchable.

I have always assumed that the maxVbitrate parameter would only work if the video stream was being transcoded to mpeg2Video. When the stream is only being rewrapped to MPEG-TS, which the above profile change specifies, then the video stream is copied as is so the parameter should have no effect.

So the above explains why I say these posts make no sense but it does not explain why it works for you. Perhaps Zip or others can clarify what is happening because you are not alone in seeking a solution to HD playback, and we should all agree on a solution based on an understanding of why it works.
<<

mhand

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:30 pm

absolutely agree with you jhb50 that we need to understand why a solution works and after reading your comments concede that my previous post is complete rubbish

the above representation of what is in the generic profile for On-line Transcoding is incorrect

Yes, sorry, when I was testing I wanted to make sure that the only thing I was doing was wrapping the stream in mpeg-ts so stripped out the sections that were transcoding to mpeg2video. Apologies for the confusion this caused, and thanks for the pointer that I've probably broken other streams in doing so

On returning to the tv this afternoon I found that the old troubles were back! I've spent the last couple of hours making all sorts of changes the profile only to find that there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why HD streaming should be fine. For example, I can create say profile B, which streams perfectly, then switch to back to my original profile, which I'll call A, which is choppy. I then switch to profile B which is now choppy. Back to profile A, still choppy, back to profile B, perfect.

I have always assumed that the maxVbitrate parameter would only work if the video stream was being transcoded to mpeg2Video. When the stream is only being rewrapped to MPEG-TS, which the above profile change specifies, then the video stream is copied as is so the parameter should have no effect.

I'd say you are correct! Based on my conclusion above I'd say it was coincidental that changing this seemed to fix things. The fact that the stream was great quality further backs up that it was ignored

Anyway, I'm left scratching my head again, and to avoid confusing everyone again I think I'll take a back seat on this thread until I know what I'm talking about :D

oh, by the way, checking my network stats I seem to be getting bytes received at pretty similar rates to you
<<

mhand

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:22 pm

I know I said I'd keep quiet, but does anyone know what order of precedence determines if a stream will be transcoded ? Does it look down the <transcoding> section, then the <online transcoding> ? or does it start it's search for a match at <online transcoding> ?

I'm wondering if there's an element in the <transcoding> section which is transcoding the stream, remembering that for you, jbh50, the fix was to stop unnecessary transcoding of the stream
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:59 pm

Thats documented here:
http://www.serviio.org/index.php?option ... icle&id=16
and essentially the transcoding section will be applied first in the order it is built...so first in the transcoding section I just mux avc.flv to ts ..then I transcode all other flvs to MPEG2 and since the flvs are addressed in transcoding the flv rules in online transcoding are ignored.
<<

mhand

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:53 pm

Some progress on this. Still not sure exactly what the root cause is, but my guess is that it has something to do with how the transcoding elements are inherited.

I'm using profile 19, Sony 2010, which is an extension of profile 9, Sony 2011, which is in turn an extension of profile 1. Using the default profiles.xml I get choppy and stuttering HD streaming

With the attached profile (note I've deleted the other profiles so you can see the wood from the trees) I get nice, smooth, perfect HD streaming. Basically I've created a new profile 19 by merging profiles 9 and 19 and making it an extension of profile 1.

I've tried all sorts of other permutations - adding online transcoding sections to profile 9, to profile 19, remuxing to mpegts in profile 19 - none of which have any effect, but having everything in one profile consistently works (N.B. I think I'd actually hit on this before but because I wasn't very methodical with my testing and was focussing on the maxVBitrate I leapt to the wrong conclusion).

Like I say, I don't understand why this should be, and I'm sure there may be an easier way to amend the profile(s) to get the same result, but it works.

Thoughts ?
Attachments
profiles.xml
(24.85 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:27 pm

Does your merge replicate the rules and the sequence that the previous 3 profiles would have executed or did you reorder or change some rules? ie: is there a bug in inheriitng logic or did you change the transcoding rule?
<<

mhand

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:43 pm

I copied from <DeviceDescription> to the end of </Transcoding> from profile 9 and pasted it into profile 19

I then moved the <!-- transcode DivX avi files which is not defined in parent profile --> to above <Audio targetContainer="lpcm" forceInheritance="true"> - other wise it gave me an error at start up - so I guess they should be in the same order ? But if one works and the other doesn't then they most be doing something different to each other
<<

siriusblack

DLNA master

Post Fri May 11, 2012 7:21 am

HOPE THIS IS RIGHT PLACE TO POST

JUST WONDERING IS ANYONE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM HAS ME

WHEN I TRY YO STREAM LIVE HD SOPCAST TO PS3 OR TV samsung [ue46c8000]

IT IS VERY CHOPPY HOWEVER IF I JUST WATCH IT ON LAPTOP ITS OK

CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLZ

IM USING INTEL I5 + 6GB RAM

WIRELESS BT INFINITY

THANKS
Samsung ue46c8000 - Samsung C5900 BDP - Sony PS3 - Windows 8 - I5 Duel Core 16GB - 3.2 GHZ - Serviio 1.3.1 Pro

Beta Tester
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Fri May 11, 2012 12:32 pm

No caps please.. there is no need to shout.

Probably a network problem.
<<

rbruce25

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:54 pm

Okay I am a newbie to all of this, so please bare with me as I fumble about. I purchased the Pro Version because I have allot of Audio and Video that i wanted to Have on source, ie. I have a Tablet, 3 Cell Phone. Smart TV, Roku Player, and 13 computers. The Computer were not hard to keep in sync. But the Cell Phones and Tablet were a different story. With Serviio I was able to load all Audio and Video in one location and have them all load the same source....(Nice)

Now my issue.

I have figured out the profile to an extent, Here is what I was able to figure out (continued at end)

<!-- Add By Robert For Panasonic TCP42X3 TV -->

<Profile id="TCP42X3" name="Panasonic TCP42X3 (2011/2012)" extendsProfileId="viera2013">
<!-- Panasonic Viera TCP42X3, xx50 (2012) With AVI Support -->
<Detection>
<UPnPSearch>
<FriendlyName>Panasonic TCP42X3 (2011/2012)</FriendlyName>
<Manufacturer>Panasonic</Manufacturer>
</UPnPSearch>
</Detection>
<Transcoding>
<!-- remux VORBIS/FLAC/LPCM in MKV/MP4 to AC3 -->
<Video targetContainer="mpeg" targetACodec="ac3" forceInheritance="true">
<!-- Some models support DTS natively, so the folowing line can be removed for those -->
<Matches container="matroska" vCodec="h264" aCodec="dca" /> <!-- ST50 supports DTS, remove this line -->
<Matches container="matroska" vCodec="h264" aCodec="vorbis" />
<Matches container="mp4" vCodec="h264" aCodec="lpcm" />
<Matches container="mp4" vCodec="h264" aCodec="aac" />
<Matches container="3gp" vCodec="h264" />
</Video>
<!-- Remux MPEG-TS with no transcoding -->
<Video targetContainer="mpeg" forceInheritance="true">
<Matches container="avi" vCodec="h264" />
<Matches container="mp4" vCodec="h264" />
<Matches container="matroska" vCodec="mpeg2video" />
</Video>
<!-- unsupported codecs will be transcoded into mpeg-ts, mpeg2 video and ac3 audio -->
<Video targetContainer="mpeg" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3" forceInheritance="true">
<Matches container="avi" vCodec="mjpeg" />
<Matches container="avi" vCodec="dvvideo" />
<Matches container="mpeg" vCodec="mpeg1video" />
<Matches container="flv" />
<Matches container="3gp" />
</Video>
<Audio targetContainer="lpcm" forceInheritance="true">
<Matches container="flac" />
</Audio>
</Transcoding>
</Profile>

<Profile id="viera2011" name="Panasonic Viera E/S/ST/VT (2011)" extendsProfileId="viera2011a">
<!-- Panasonic Viera E3, E30, S30, ST30, VT30 (2011), E50 (2012) Without AVI Support -->
<Detection>
<UPnPSearch>
<FriendlyName>(VIERA (E|S)T?(3|5)0?.*)|(VIERA VT30.*)</FriendlyName>
<Manufacturer>Panasonic</Manufacturer>
</UPnPSearch>
</Detection>
<Transcoding>
<!-- unsupported codecs will be transcoded into mpeg-ts, mpeg2 video and ac3 audio -->
<Video targetContainer="mpeg" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3">
<Matches container="avi" />
</Video>
</Transcoding>
</Profile>

<Profile id="viera2010" name="Panasonic Viera (2010)" extendsProfileId="viera2011a">
<!-- Panasonic Viera VT20, V20, G20, D25, D28 (2010) -->
<!-- detection removed as it was interfering with detection of the 2011/2012 Viera profiles
<Detection>
<HttpHeaders>
<User-Agent>.*Panasonic.*</User-Agent>
</HttpHeaders>
</Detection> -->
<Transcoding>
<Video targetContainer="mpeg" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="384" DAR="16:9">
<Matches container="matroska" />
</Video>
<Audio targetContainer="mp3">
<Matches container="flac" />
<Matches container="ogg" />
<Matches container="asf" />
<Matches container="adts" />
</Audio>
</Transcoding>
</Profile>

(continued )

My issue is that any video encoded above 700 Kbps ( 7000 Bps ) is choppy and shutters, I have tested with same video MPEG2-PS / 224 MPA @ 29.97 Fps 720 x 480 (AR16:9) encoded at 4000 and 9000, and the 4000 plays fine and the 9000 is choppy and shutters. This is not a bandwidth issue as this is my local network, 1 Gigabyte connection to router and computers (hard wired no wireless) My server is a FX-6300 (six -core) 4 GB Memory, 3 Hard Disk 1- 80 GB - Boot Disk, 2 - 1 TB - Backup and Temp and 3 - 500 GB - Audio and Video , Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, no other programs installed or running - this is a dedicated machine to only Audio and Video.

So what am I missing or doing wrong?
Attachments
serviio.log
Current Serviio Log file
(59.85 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
derby.log
Current derby log File
(730 Bytes) Downloaded 106 times
Next

Return to Video streams