FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Video Titles Displayed Differently in Playlists & Folder Vie

<<

NekPants

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:22 pm

Video Titles Displayed Differently in Playlists & Folder Vie

Hello-

I have searched for this problem for a few days online, and I wasn't able to find an answer. My apologies if this issue has been posted previously.

I just set up Serviio last week. It was very easy to fire up, and it's working beautifully.

Recently I've started to create TV show playlists to play at night while I fall asleep. When I browse via 'folder' view, the show titles are displayed the same as the filenames I've created, which is how I like it. However, when I create a playlist, the display names are different. Example:

Folder View:
THAT '70s SHOW - s01e06 - The Keg.mkv

Playlist View:
That '70s Show (1/06): The Keg

-I know that the file is being pulled from the same place.
-I've created playlists with WMP, Winamp, VLC, etc., and in different formats, so I don't think it has anything to do with the playlist creation.
-I've played around with all of the settings under the 'Metadata' tab in Serviio for at least the last few days, to no avail.

Also, under each file's individual Windows properties tab, I make sure the 'title' column is always populated with the exact same name as the filename before I even add it to the library. I made a small batch file to do this. When I first started dabbling in DLNA, THIS was the reason the titles weren't always displaying correctly via WMP. It pulls from the 'title' tab under the file's properties rather than the filename itself. (Unless the 'title' field is blank) So I know this is not the case with Serviio.

Any suggestions on how to stop Playlist folders from changing my name format? Thanks for helping out a noob!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:47 pm

Re: Video Titles Displayed Differently in Playlists & Folder

Folder view displays whatever the actual file name is, which is why you see the file extension (.mkv). All other views provide what might considered a "sanitized" view. It removes the file extension and displays the name and season (if it's a TV series) based on the way it's listed in the online databases. There is no method to alter the way this information is displayed. DLNA does not pull the information you mentioned that is shown in the Windows properties view.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:21 pm

Isn't that a metadata issue?

For example on mine the show Dragon Ball Super shows the filename in folder view, but in last added every episode shows as the movie Dragon Ball Z Super Android 13.

I think my metadata is screwed up maybe op as well.

I just use folder view.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:40 pm

True, you could call this a metadata issue. But that's why the file naming is critical if you are using online metadata. Folder view just shows exactly what the file it named, with no metadata name application. Of course, the metadata for that video is available on some players. My Roku players all display the metadata, but my Sony BD player Panasonic and Samsung TVs do not. If you select the movie, they just begin to play. The Roku opens another screen with the metadata, similar to what Amazon or Netflix might display. You can then play the video from that screen.

There are some options in the file name that shouldn't impact the metadata retrieval, usually a tag of the resolution (i.e. 1080p) or language is ignored by the metadata retrieval function. But to ensure you have the correct title (and episode) you must name the files in the accepted style. This page (http://www.serviio.org/index.php?option ... icle&id=12) explains in more detail.

I've also noticed that a TV series in a playlist does display the title slightly differently than it does under the Series listings. It matches as the OP lists in his first post. Here's how mine appear for the same title in three different places:

Playlist: Columbo (1/01) Prescription: Murder
Series: 01. Prescription: Murder (under the series folder, then under the season folder)
Folders: Columbo - 1x01 - Prescription Murder.mkv (note this is another allowable way to list the season and episode)
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:11 am

That would make sense because the series I have listed in correct naming convention show the year it was made and a little description and everything is accurate. And Dragon Ball Super is named instead of S05x12.mp4 it's Episode96.mp4 which the online metadata source can't understand. Got to rename everything by season or put the seasons in their own nested folders maybe both.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:23 pm

Filebot makes it simple and fast to rename files. And you can modify Filebot to use exactly the format you desire. Doesn't really have a good help file for explaining it, but you can use SxxExx, or a number of other different formats. I believe it can do everything that is listed on the Serviio help page I posted above.
Dan

Return to Serviio Support & Help