FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Cannot Add Folder

<<

kirkm

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:18 am

Cannot Add Folder

I'm mapping a Network drive wanting to add the folder to the serviio library.

It appears in Windows Explorer but not the list of Drives Serviio shows. Any way around this ? Thanks
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:21 pm

Re: Cannot Add Folder

Serviio is not running with the same user permissions that you have when using the computer. It runs as a local service, which has almost no network permissions. This simplest thing to do is to change the user account that the Serviio service uses. Do a quick web search and you'll find instructions on how to change that.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

kirkm

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:24 pm

Thanks, but many problems! I found some instructions To run the service as a different user go to Services (from the Windows Control Panel → Administrative Tools or typing "Services.msc" in the Run command on Start menu), select Serviio, right-click -> Properties, Log On tab, enter the user's details and restart the service.

I don't have a User/pass for my computer. I did try what I think it was/is/may be.. but Windows could not start the Serviio service on Local Computer.
Error 1069: The service did not start due to a logon failure.

It also added ".\" ahead of the name - that is OK ? But It kept adding dots for a non-existent password which I couldn't remove.
It's a shame this has to be a problem, why can't it just use the mapped drive letter ? All the files are on that drive.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:32 pm

The mapped drive letter only exists for your particular user account, so the Serviio service doesn't see any such drive letter. Mapped drive letters only work for local drives.

It is difficult to determine a user account name and password on Windows if you didn't set it up at install. I suggest going into the User Account panel and create a new user account. Then log into that account and ensure you can reach your network shares with no issues. Then set Serviio to use that user account.

The dots you see in the password field is a security function. It just throws those in there, rather than the actual number of password characters, so someone else has idea how long your password is. It will add them even it the password is blank, just to hide the fact.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

kirkm

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:04 am

I think I've established the UserName now, entered it, restarted serviio.

When I browse to a folder to share there is still no Network path or mapped drive avaialble. Should there be ?

Also I had to turn off the computer as I could not exit "The form cannot be submitted because it contains validation errors!" message. Would NOT go away no matter what.

I have a need to use DLNA but if I cannot get serviio to work, can you recommend anything else ?

btw when you say "Mapped drive letters only work for local drives" I don't understand as a local drive is usually assigned a drive letter. You would only map a non-local drive.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:39 pm

True, I worded that incorrectly. When I said mapped, I only meant something with a drive letter. You are correct that mapping refers to a share accessed across the network.

So, you now have Serviio running under a normal user account. Log into that account as the Windows user, and make sure you can access the network share. Once that works ok, then open the Serviio console and add the network share as a UNC. Don't try using a drive letter. You can't browse for the share name, as the browse function only sees drive letters. So just type in the UNC, like this:
\\share_location\share_name

The share location can be an IP address or a name that your computer can resolve. If you can ping the name, then use it. Otherwise use the IP address. Serviio should now see your media.
Dan

<<

kirkm

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:52 pm

Success! I don't login specifically, the PC starts up and goes to the desktop.
I confirmed my Username by Cntrl-Alt-Del - Task Manager - Users (and see only my Name).
That's put in Services-Seviio-Propoerties-Logon-This Account. (Although it's added ".\" ahead of my name and the password asterisks).

I stop and restart Serviio, checking at this point Windows can see everything on the network.

I open the serviio console and Library-Shared Folders. There's no longer the error showing on the UNC path ( I didn't know what that was
until now so was glad you made it obvious!) I could also paste that "UNC" directly into Explorer and see the folder.

And all the files appear on the TV! Thanks very much for your assistance :)
Can I see the filenames in Serviio console anyhow (or not) ?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:48 am

In the console, no. The console does not display any media information. If you use the Folders presentation option, you will see the full file name when you browse the folders on your player device.

Glad you have it working! :D
Dan

Return to Serviio Support & Help