FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Server starts but not visible

<<

7UpMan

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:50 pm

Server starts but not visible

Hi, I am sure this has happened before so if you could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. I have looked but cannot find anything.

I have an Ubuntu box with a fresh install of Serviio 1.9.

The web console on port 23423 works just fine from anywhere on the network, but the actual Serviio server is not visible from anywhere on the network..

This machine has been running Serviio since the 0.X days and was upgraded to 1.9. I don't know if it was working immediately before the upgrade so cannot just blame that. I have also done a fresh install of 1.9 and have the same problem.

My displays are Samsung TVs (I have 2). Neither sees the machine. I installed Serviio 1.9 on a Windows box and it worked immediately so no TV related.

Happy to provide the log file but only INFO items, with one WARN about metadata and no ERR.

I also checked before I start Serviio (netastat -a) port 1900 is free, when I start it port 1900 is taken.

From a network perspective, the TV and Ubuntu machine are both physical wires. I recently changed my router to a new BT Home Hub 6. Not sure if this is related but the Windows machine worked fine.

Help and pointers appreciated.
Last edited by 7UpMan on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:01 pm

Re: Server starts but not visible

Since you recently updated your network, you should check to make sure all network devices are assigned an IP address in the same range. Also, check TCP port 8895 on your firewall and make sure it is open for Serviio as well.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

7UpMan

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:35 pm

Thanks for the pointer.

I have done further investigating and it seems that my network switch is not passing some broadcast packets. I have 2 switches, the one with the TVs on and a "master" one. If I plug Serviio into the switch with the TVs it works, but not from the "master" switch.

This is not an issue with Serviio, it is my network.

Thanks
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:05 am

Your switches must have some sort of router within them as well. "Normal" Ethernet switches just pass everything. But once you get into the managed switches, there's no telling what could be changed. Are you certain your "switch" isn't a router being used as a switch? It's certainly doable, but requires specific settings.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

7UpMan

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:16 am

The original setup was: Internet -> BT home Hub 6 (which Serviio connected to) -> Netgear "dumb" switch which had the TVs. One of the TVs connect via Wi-Fi to the BT device.

Now I have Internet -> BT -> Netgear "dumb" switch with Serviio -> Netgrear "dumb" switch with TVs.

The TVs can now see Serviio except the WiFi TV which still cannot see it, probably because it is connecting to the BT device and it only looks down-stream. Needs more thought.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:49 pm

Very often wireless access points have a setting that blocks wireless users from seeing each other, and anything else on the network. They are typically used for guest access that you don't want snooping around your network. I went to the BT web site to see if I could find a manual, but no luck. But my guess is there's a setting in there somewhere that will resolve the issue.
Dan

Return to Serviio Support & Help