FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Bug - Force terminating the TCP socket causes 100% CPU usage

<<

yegor

Serviio newbie

Post Thu May 10, 2018 2:35 pm

Bug - Force terminating the TCP socket causes 100% CPU usage

1. Run Serviio server
2. Force terminate the TCP socket with this app: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html
3. ServiioService.exe now consumes 100% of the CPU

This happens on any Windows 7-10 machine.

Windscribe VPN terminates all TCP sockets when the connection is established to prevent leaks, which makes the computer unusable when Serviio is running.
<<

jaqual

Serviio newbie

Post Fri May 11, 2018 8:50 pm

Re: Bug - Force terminating the TCP socket causes 100% CPU u

+1

I've been seeing this bug for a couple of weeks now but I never suspected the TCP issue. I use Windscribe also, and can verify that as soon as the firewall is activated, ServiioService.exe CPU usage goes straight to 99%.
<<

storex

Serviio newbie

Post Sat May 12, 2018 6:59 am

i have the same issue, hoping to for a fix in this thread; windscribe + serviio = 100 cpu
hmm maybe the subject line should be changed so others who also has this problem might find the thread ?
<<

randomcamden

Serviio newbie

Post Mon May 28, 2018 8:46 am

Another victim here of the Windscribe/Serviio combo. Great catch for whoever found the link between the two. This thread came up as #1 on a Google search for "Serviio Windscribe CPU" so was easy to come across.
Looking forward for a fix!
<<

storex

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:26 am

seems like windscribe fixed the problem
<<

eNdEmiOn

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:30 pm

What version of winscribe are you on?
Winscribe (1.82 Build 17) tells me about the problem when it detects any process going wild on cpu usage and offers to turn off "Force terminating the TCP sockets after connecting". I'm not sure you can call that a solution? Leaving a vulnerability open just because serviio isn't handling certain things correctly.

By the way seviio has a rather heavy footprint these days even without this issue. It's almost nonstop between 15-20% cpu usage with spikes well over 30% on my system. I get that it needs to keep the database up to date but really that is quite a lot of energy going into comparing lists. Is this thing secretly mining crypto-currency or something?

I've also seen FFmpeg flipping out in service of serviio. Is that normal? FFmpeg.exe showing up in task manager and directly being terminated again and again... (it stopped when I closed SeviioSevice.exe)

Totally non related but does anyone know what "stop server" really does? I've tried using that a few times when serviio suddenly decided not to update the library anymore. It doesn't doe anything useful I had more success with a batch file stopping and starting Serviio.

If you're interested inside that batch file:
  Code:
net stop Serviio
pause
net start Serviio
pause

Return to Serviio Support & Help