FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

VPN help .. doesnt not work when enabled

<<

TRUBos

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:00 am

VPN help .. doesnt not work when enabled

Hello, very new here

I will buy most definitely if I get a few things going, because PLEX has been a complete and utter nightmare and so far I've been able to remotely access my files without any trouble on the first try.

SO big THANKS!

But my problem, I must use my VPN all the time, actually when I tried to register here, I was blacklisted, (LOL) so I had to disable just to register, but what happens with Serviio is whenever I re-enable my VPN I get this:

My server is offline remotely. I can login locally but not remotely. What's the work around because having my VPN and protecting is a must. Also how to best use a external address instead of my IP address. Perhaps its why when I enable my VPN this stops working. If I have an external address not link to my IP it would work?

Thanks for the help.
<<

jhneyalia

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:23 am

Re: VPN help .. doesnt not work when enabled

But my problem, I must use my VPN all the time, actually when I tried to register here, I was blacklisted, (LOL) so I had to disable just to register, but what happens with Serviio is whenever I re-enable my VPN I get this:

We use a DNS service. Smartdnsproxy. It’s very easy to switch, just keep a note of the DNS number closest to your location on your phone so you can pull it up and change it manually. You enter the number under network settings, restart the Apple TV and you’re good to go. The setting will stay in effect until you change it back to local with ‘automatic’ and restart.

For Mobile: https://techin.pk/price/brand/TCL
Last edited by jhneyalia on Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:45 pm

The problem with a VPN is that your public IP address is likely constantly changing (and possibly even changing your detected location), so you need to use a good dynamic DNS service to keep track of it and ensure you have an accurate FQDN to connect to. While I don't use a VPN, I do use DNSExit (www.dnsexit.com) for their free DDNS service.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

marceltr

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:04 pm

I have the same situation. I tried to change VPN but not results. Then I've read this article about Dedicated IP VPN – Top Rated Dedicated IP VPNs Review | Webguidevpn

Return to Serviio Support & Help