Post Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:04 am

HOWTO: Sharp LC-40LE830E & Serviio - Almost Perfect!

Hello everyone

This is a modest guide on how to use Serviio in order to serve your Sharp LC-40LE830E Aquos TV and playback .mkv (2D AND 3D), .flac and even .ape files.

The setup:

Windows 7
Serviio
Sharp LC-40LE830E Aquos connected via LAN
Seagate Expansion Desktop external HDD connected to Windows 7 via USB 2.0

I use a PC with Windows 7 and the Seagate external HDD as a media server which is always on.
On the Seagate I have Movies, Music and Photos in separate, shared folders.
All sharing is done seamlessly and all folders can be accessed via SMB devices like the Seagate GoFlex TV media player and the AZBox SAT TV decoder.

I installed Serviio on my Windows 7 PC (latest version 1.4.1.2)
    Under "Library" Tab I designated the folders I would like to include in the library.
    Since my folders have separate kinds of media files (e.g. a folder just for Music files and another just for Movie files), I chose only the correct kind for each Library item e.g. "Share audio files" for my Music folder etc.
    Under "Delivery" Tab I had the Transcoding setting to Off at first. My Sharp TV could access every folder but WITHOUT showing the .mkv or the .flac files. This is because the Sharp LC-40LE830E Network Media Player does not recognize these files. (NOTE: The same media player when operated on a USB media connected to the TV recognizes and plays back the .mkv and .flac files correctly. Under network operation it doesn't)
    When I switched the Transcoding setting to ON the TV's media player could access all .mkv and .flac files.
    I also selected the "2" setting under the "Number of CPU cores to use:" option in order to always have the maximum CPU power and transcode all files as well as possible.

Notes:
    The picture quality is superb
    On 3D .mkv playback crosstalk is almost non-existent. Amazing
    I also experienced a better sound quality comparing to my Seagate and AZBox media players. All devices are feeding my Benchmark DAC so I guess I have a better than average quality ;)
    I cannot access .wav files. Any help with additional lines for the .xml would be greatly appreciated.
    Support for .cue files would also be nice

That's it! Post your experiences...