FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Make version 2 use MKV file names instead of metadata

<<

AndreyT

Serviio newbie

Post Sun May 26, 2019 6:26 pm

Make version 2 use MKV file names instead of metadata

I noticed that version 2.0 now uses metadata titles for MKV files in all categories, except for 'Folders' (in 'Folders' it uses file names). However, many MKV files I have contain complete nonsense or gibberish in their metadata. I don't want Serviio to use that metadata. I want Serviio to always use file names, file names and only file names. Is there an option for that?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon May 27, 2019 12:17 am

Re: Make version 2 use MKV file names instead of metadata

To my knowledge, Serviio does not use (and never has used) metadata from within the file itself. Do you have your metadata set to "Online metadata sources"? If so, your media file name has to be something that can be identified from theTVDB.com or theMovieDB.com. For example, for the original Pink Panther movie, the file name has to be "A Shot in the Dark (1964)". If the year is wrong, or something in the name isn't quite right, you don't get the correct metadata.

If your media isn't commercial (meaning it's media you've created yourself), there will be no online metadata available. In that case, go to the Serviio console and on the metadata tab select "No Descriptive Metadata". Now it will just display the file name, same as it does in the folder view.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

norbait

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:25 pm

Greetings. I have the same question. I think that you misunderstood the message of the author of the topic. I will try to explain.

Please excuse me in advance, since english is not my native language.

Question:
Is it possible to disable the use of names from media tags in Serviio "smart playlists"? I mean the categories "Names", "Last Added", "Last Viewed" etc.

I can rephrase. Key question: Can Serviio always show in all playlists a real file name, even if the file contains meta tags with the "Title" field?

Please, note that i do not use metadata. "No descriptive metadata" is selected in options.

For example i have files "File 1.mkv"; "File 2.mkv"; "File 3.mkv"; "File 4.mkv".

In "Folders" view i see the filenames (like in Windows filemanager). And its 100% satisfacted for me.

But in "smart playlists" i see metatags of this files, which, as often happens, contain completely unnecessary information. Like "downloaded from site *****"; "release of the group....." and other crap.
Note: If there is no tag in the file, i see the file name, which is what i always need.

At the moment in Serviio playlist "Last viewed" i see the same names "downloaded from..."; "downloaded from..."; "downloaded from..." instead "File 1"; "File 2"; "File 3"...

So i can only remove this incorrect names if i manually open each file and delete the names in the tag editor. And it is very annoying.

Is it possible to somehow achieve that everywhere (not only in the "Folders" view) exactly the file names are displayed (it does not matter with the extension or not)? Maybe the plugin or implement this option during the next update?

And I, like many users, do not want to use "online metadata." They, too, very often take incorrect names, and i dont want to search in the imdb film-id and write it to filename as recommended in other topics. I think that the name of the file everywhere is ideal. And I'm not the only one. Please understand me.

Thanks for attention!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:43 pm

I believe I understood the original question, as I understand yours. Whatever Serviio is doing it version 2.0 appears to be the way it worked in prior versions. I have one library location with "Retrieve descriptive metadata" unchecked. Those files appear under every category with the file name alone. Is there embedded metadata in the files? I have no idea, but I certainly haven't added any. I did find one exception, and it does show a Title in the details tab of the Properties using Windows Explorer. So it does seem that Serviio is reading at least some of those properties.

Is there any way to stop this? I don't think so, as it's actually something that users have requested in the past. But perhaps Zip could add a new feature to simply display file name for all files. You can request new functionality on BitBucket here: https://bitbucket.org/xnejp03/serviio/issues
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

norbait

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:19 pm

atc98092, thanks for your reply! I will do so.

Return to Serviio Support & Help