FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Problems after installing windows 10

<<

minotir

Serviio newbie

Posts: 7

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:41 pm

Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:29 pm

Problems after installing windows 10

Hi.

I installed windows 10 today and when I try to install Serviio I get; "ServiioService.exe has stopped working" and I have to press the cancel button for the installation to finish. Serviio is on my computer now, but I get the same error if I try to start it up. Any tips?
<<

atc98092

User avatar

DLNA master

Posts: 2116

Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:22 pm

Location: Washington (the state)

Post Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:17 am

Re: Problems after installing windows 10

minotir wrote:Hi.

I installed windows 10 today and when I try to install Serviio I get; "ServiioService.exe has stopped working" and I have to press the cancel button for the installation to finish. Serviio is on my computer now, but I get the same error if I try to start it up. Any tips?


I installed Win 10 last night, and finally got to test it this afternoon. My database seemed to have issues afterwards, in that I had a number of titles that were inaccurate. It was like Serviio was reading the 8.1 version of the file name (media~1.mkv) instead of the full name. This means Serviio couldn't find a correct name match, and I had some strange titles. No porn, fortunately!

Since I was running a beta version of Serviio, I decided to uninstall it and install 1.5.2. I had no problems with either. After 1.5.2 finished installing I reconfigured my libraries. All files added and were correctly identified. I am playing a TV episode right now with no issues. I've tested it with titles that require transcoding, as well as titles that don't. Haven't had an issue.

Perhaps the only difference is my Win 10 install was an upgrade, not a clean install. I'll try that later. In the mean time you might try an uninstall, reboot, and then install again.
Dan

Panasonic ST30 Plasma, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Samsung UN24H4500 TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Insignia Roku TV, Roku 2 XS, 4, Ultra and Stick, Yamaha RX-V679 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 8 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 18 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 7 Home Premium, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

Enable debug logging
<<

MikeL

Streaming enthusiast

Posts: 21

Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:43 pm

Location: New Hampshire

Post Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:51 am

Re: Problems after installing windows 10

I updated my laptop to Windows 10 today. I just successfully downloaded and installed the latest version of Serviio. When I tried to turn on the Serviio process nothing happened and I did not get any error message. I restarted my system and the Serviio service started automatically.

After installation there are entries in the Start Menu to Stop and Start the service but these do no appear to work.

With the Serviio service running if I select Stop the Service from the Start menu something appears to flash on the screen but the Service is not stopped.

I can Stop the Service from within the Serviio Console (and then am unable to Start it from the Start menu - same behavior, something flashes on the screen but the Service is not started). The Service can be restarted from within the Console.

I installed one video file in the Serviio Library and was able to stream it both locally (from within IE11 and the new Edge browsers) and remotely to an IOS device.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Posts: 2063

Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:16 pm

Location: Adelaide, Australia

Post Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:34 am

Re: Problems after installing windows 10

MikeL wrote:After installation there are entries in the Start Menu to Stop and Start the service but these do no appear to work.
Did you run these as an elevated user?
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera CS610A | Panasonic Viera V20A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.8 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

atc98092

User avatar

DLNA master

Posts: 2116

Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:22 pm

Location: Washington (the state)

Post Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:30 pm

Re: Problems after installing windows 10

MikeL wrote:...

I can Stop the Service from within the Serviio Console (and then am unable to Start it from the Start menu - same behavior, something flashes on the screen but the Service is not started). The Service can be restarted from within the Console.



The button on the console does not stop/start the Serviio service. All it controls is the DLNA server function. The service itself can only be controlled from the Services app.

It sounds like the menu options require elevated user rights. You can test this by opening a command window (normal, not elevated) and try the following command: "net stop serviio". If it doesn't work, you will see the error in the window. The flash you see on the screen is the command windows opening and then closing after it completes. Because it happens so fast, you can't see the error message. Again, it sounds like under Windows 10 the "net start" or "net stop" command requires elevated rights, even for users with admin rights.
Dan

Panasonic ST30 Plasma, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Samsung UN24H4500 TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Insignia Roku TV, Roku 2 XS, 4, Ultra and Stick, Yamaha RX-V679 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 8 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 18 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 7 Home Premium, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

Enable debug logging
<<

MikeL

Streaming enthusiast

Posts: 21

Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:43 pm

Location: New Hampshire

Post Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:04 pm

Re: Problems after installing windows 10

You are correct. If I run the commands to Start and Stop the Service as Administrator it seems to work.

Thanks for the clarification on the Start and Stop buttons in the Console.

Mike
<<

minotir

Serviio newbie

Posts: 7

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:41 pm

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:09 pm

Re: Problems after installing windows 10

atc98092 wrote:
minotir wrote:Hi.

I installed windows 10 today and when I try to install Serviio I get; "ServiioService.exe has stopped working" and I have to press the cancel button for the installation to finish. Serviio is on my computer now, but I get the same error if I try to start it up. Any tips?


I installed Win 10 last night, and finally got to test it this afternoon. My database seemed to have issues afterwards, in that I had a number of titles that were inaccurate. It was like Serviio was reading the 8.1 version of the file name (media~1.mkv) instead of the full name. This means Serviio couldn't find a correct name match, and I had some strange titles. No porn, fortunately!

Since I was running a beta version of Serviio, I decided to uninstall it and install 1.5.2. I had no problems with either. After 1.5.2 finished installing I reconfigured my libraries. All files added and were correctly identified. I am playing a TV episode right now with no issues. I've tested it with titles that require transcoding, as well as titles that don't. Haven't had an issue.

Perhaps the only difference is my Win 10 install was an upgrade, not a clean install. I'll try that later. In the mean time you might try an uninstall, reboot, and then install again.

Thanks for the answer, kinda forgot this thread a bit, been busy with other things :P

I have tried to uninstall, reboot and install again. Still same problem :/
<<

atc98092

User avatar

DLNA master

Posts: 2116

Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:22 pm

Location: Washington (the state)

Post Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:50 am

Re: Problems after installing windows 10

Well, I did another Serviio 1.5.2 installation on a clean Win 10 install. That one worked fine as well. That computer doesn't have as many files as I have on even my test server, but everything seems to be working fine. I just logged into the box remotely and everything seems to be running fine.

I can't come up with a reason for yours not working. It might be worth looking at both the Serviio log (c:\program files\Serviio\log\) and the Windows system logs. I'd hope the Serviio log might provide some explanations, although you might need to enable verbose logging first.
Dan

Panasonic ST30 Plasma, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Samsung UN24H4500 TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Insignia Roku TV, Roku 2 XS, 4, Ultra and Stick, Yamaha RX-V679 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 8 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 18 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 7 Home Premium, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

Enable debug logging
<<

Troutking

Streaming enthusiast

Posts: 30

Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:42 pm

Location: Norway

Post Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:51 am

Re: Problems after installing windows 10

Having trouble with console freezing when adding drives and/or folders, also the console and server won't shut down as it should. Have to use taskmanager or a restart to get it done.. Servvio don't seem to be happy at all in the win10 64bit environment. Are there any plans for a serviio ver. push that is a tad more win10 compatible?
TV: Samsung UE40C8705
FW: T-VALDEUC-3007.1
<<

minotir

Serviio newbie

Posts: 7

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:41 pm

Post Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:44 pm

Re: Problems after installing windows 10

https://youtu.be/H80n4DUv32M

I uploaded a video of what happens when I try to install. Dunno if it helps anything.

If I just install the console it installs fine, but when I try to install server it crashes.
<<

atc98092

User avatar

DLNA master

Posts: 2116

Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:22 pm

Location: Washington (the state)

Post Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:53 pm

Re: Problems after installing windows 10

Troutking wrote:Having trouble with console freezing when adding drives and/or folders, also the console and server won't shut down as it should. Have to use taskmanager or a restart to get it done.. Servvio don't seem to be happy at all in the win10 64bit environment. Are there any plans for a serviio ver. push that is a tad more win10 compatible?


There certainly seems to be two camps with Windows 10. It either works perfectly with no issues, or it either refuses to install/work properly. Without detailed log information it's tough to tell what the issues are. I have Serviio running on two different Win 10 computers. One was a clean install and one was an upgrade from Windows 7. Both are working perfectly. Both are 64 bit, one with 4 gig of ram and one with 8.

Could you enable detailed logging and then try those steps again to see if the logs will show the issue?
Dan

Panasonic ST30 Plasma, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Samsung UN24H4500 TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Insignia Roku TV, Roku 2 XS, 4, Ultra and Stick, Yamaha RX-V679 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 8 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 18 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 7 Home Premium, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

Enable debug logging
<<

daywalker

Serviio newbie

Posts: 1

Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:13 am

Post Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:26 am

Problems after installing windows 10

I had the same problem.

before i made a clean instalation of windows 10 x64, i had a working serviio on an upgraded Win8.1 x86 >to> Win10 x86

I tryed changing the instalation folder to " C:\Program Files (x86)\Serviio " instead of using the default " C:\Program Files\Serviio ".

several reboots later, it is still working. :D
<<

trueblu8

Serviio newbie

Posts: 3

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:35 am

Post Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:21 am

Re: Problems after installing windows 10

daywalker wrote:I had the same problem.

before i made a clean instalation of windows 10 x64, i had a working serviio on an upgraded Win8.1 x86 >to> Win10 x86

I tryed changing the instalation folder to " C:\Program Files (x86)\Serviio " instead of using the default " C:\Program Files\Serviio ".

several reboots later, it is still working. :D

Excellent. Thanks.

Return to Serviio Support & Help

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.