FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Movie file from iTunes in m4v format won't sync

<<

john_r_syd

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:37 am

Movie file from iTunes in m4v format won't sync

First time poster and new to Serviio so apology if this is a very basic question.

I have recently downloaded a movie from iTunes however when I move the file across to my Serviio library folder it won't sync the file / add to the library that serves all my devices.

I have searched to see if it could be to do with file size (5.14gb) or the format (m4v) but it seems like both of these are not the issue so wondered if there was something stopping this working when moving from iTunes downloads. Any advice would be awesome.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:02 pm

Re: Movie file from iTunes in m4v format won't sync

Many files you download from iTunes contains Digital Rights Management (DRM) and can only be played in iTunes itself or an Apple TV. Can you play the video outside of iTunes on anything else, even the computer?
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

john_r_syd

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:23 am

atc98092 wrote:Can you play the video outside of iTunes on anything else, even the computer?

I just checked and it won't run on VLC (crashes the program every time I try to play the movie). I tried another movie file and it worked fine. So it could be down to DRM if that would cause that type of problem with VLC.
I'm assuming if the file has DRM then there is no way of changing this - I tried to convert the file in Handbrake and it did work either. I also tried to move file on to a USB stick and it would not allow me to - it said file was too big for format of USB. File size 5gb, USB stick 8gb.
Thanks for your help on this ATC.
<<

kambala

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:00 pm

john_r_syd wrote:I also tried to move file on to a USB stick and it would not allow me to - it said file was too big for format of USB. File size 5gb, USB stick 8gb.

is USB formatted in fat32? that'd explain why it complains
Samsung UE55JU7580, Mac OS X latest
<<

mattsmith0926

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:01 am

I think it caused by the DRM protection. To move the iTunes downloaded m4v videos to other Non-Apple devices, you have to remove DRM protection from iTunes movies with some third party software, like Requiem, TunesKit DRM Media Converter and so on. I just searched on google and got this http://9to5mac.com/community/how-to-rem ... osslessly/

Maybe it's helpful for you.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:31 am

Yep, sounds like DRM. Boo hiss... :evil:
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

Fannie Fu

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:07 am

For the protected M4V files, you can use the free Requiem to convert them to MP4 or other formats.
I often convert the pucchased iTunes movie to my TV for watching. And I know the DRM is aimed to protect privacy.
So there are no questions if you just get them for personal use.
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:52 pm

x2 for Requiem. It works and I have used it for years.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:28 pm

I looked at the link, but it appears that Requiem requires downgrading your version of iTunes to make it work. The only iTunes movies I have I bought via my government email and the iTunes they work with is on my work laptop. That's because I also have a work supplied iPad and I bought the movies to watch while traveling cross-country. I don't have admin rights to my laptop, so I can't alter, install or remove applications. Chances are I can't even install Requiem.

I do have iTunes on a home computer for when I used to have a personal iPhone many years ago. I could downgrade on that computer, but it isn't authorized for that account, and I have no way of transferring the videos from the iPad to that computer. I could transfer the movie files from my laptop to my home computer via a USB stick, but won't the DRM be tied to the other computer/account?
Dan

<<

Torence

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:28 am

To be honest, I don't know whether it is possible to move iTunes download files to other devices. Generally speaking, it is impossible to play iTunes videos on non-Apple devices, since all iTunes movies and TV shows are encrypted with fairplay DRM protection, if you want to enjoy these videos on smart TV, android devices, you should know how to remove DRM from iTunes movies at first. Tuneskit DRM Media Converter is a program for me to convert all purchased iTunes videos to common format with quality losslessly. You can check more info about it on Google or click here to learn. Wish this tip is helpful to you.
<<

robertplus

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:55 am

freaknik wrote:x2 for Requiem. It works and I have used it for years.

Requiem was used to be the No.1 solution to remove DRM from iTunes media files. :idea: But it is no longer compatible with the latest iTunes. I installed iTunes 12.7, it is impossible for me to downgrade iTunes.

Not sure if you heard the things happended in Requiem DRM Removal these years. It does not update since 2012.

Return to Serviio Support & Help