FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio 1.7 Holding Files Open

<<

andrewj

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:56 am

Serviio 1.7 Holding Files Open

Hi,
I recently upgraded to the latest version, and I'm seeing an odd behaviour. The Serviio service is holding the most recently added library file open, so that I can't move or delete it. If I attempt a file action on that file, I get a Windows error "The action can't be completed because the file is open in ServiioService.exe". If I add another file (e.g. restore one from the recycle bin) then after a couple of minutes the first file is released.

This didn't happen with the older version (I think I was using 1.5.X before, but I'm not 100% sure).

Any ideas?
Thanks
Andrew
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:26 pm

Re: Serviio 1.7 Holding Files Open

Yes, it sometimes happens and it's teher in the earlier versions as well. Something to do with how Java monitors these files. Not much I can do with it.
<<

mhinc

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:23 pm

I am experiencing the same issue, but only since installing Ver 1.8
It's also not just sometimes, it's ALL the time, and it's files I haven't even accessed over Serviio yet.
VERY annoying. There has to be a fix for this as it didn't happen at all previous to 1.8
<<

andrewj

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:34 pm

I have done my own fix by writing a small service which just restarts the Serviio process several times every night, but it would be much better if the developers could build such an option into the main system, as I suggested.
Andrew
<<

Psyberwolf309

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:50 pm

zip wrote:Yes, it sometimes happens and it's teher in the earlier versions as well. Something to do with how Java monitors these files. Not much I can do with it.

I don't think so. It's only recently started happening in versions 1.7 and later. I had been using version 1.6.1 and this issue does not occur. As a matter of fact, I may just reinstall this version until this issue is resolved.

Thank you for an excellent piece of software...but, this is a flaw that will prevent me from upgrading past 1.6.1.

Edit: February 6, 2017: My java is updated to the latest version, I have downgraded to version 1.6.1 and I do not have the file locking issue that everyone speaks of. Something done in version 1.7 and above is causing this issue...and it is definitely not in Java.
<<

Morbius

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:39 pm

Psyberwolf309 wrote:
zip wrote:Yes, it sometimes happens and it's teher in the earlier versions as well. Something to do with how Java monitors these files. Not much I can do with it.

I don't think so. It's only recently started happening in versions 1.7 and later. I had been using version 1.6.1 and this issue does not occur. As a matter of fact, I may just reinstall this version until this issue is resolved.

Thank you for an excellent piece of software...but, this is a flaw that will prevent me from upgrading past 1.6.1.

Edit: February 6, 2017: My java is updated to the latest version, I have downgraded to version 1.6.1 and I do not have the file locking issue that everyone speaks of. Something done in version 1.7 and above is causing this issue...and it is definitely not in Java.

I absolutely concur. While trying to debug another problem, I uninstalled and reinstalled 18, then 1.7 and when I reached 1.61, I found that only then could I restart the SERVIIO service in a timely manner. The file locking problem does not seem to be a problem anymore either. Unfortunately downgrading did not solve the problem that I was initially trying to resolve.

With 1.8, changing attributes on the SHARE page takes forever (I mean literally hours), stopping/restarting the SERVIIO service FAILS 100% leaving the service in an unmanageable state and file locking is a HUGE issue!

I am running Windows 7 Enterprise x64
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:37 pm

Psyberwolf309 wrote:
zip wrote:Edit: February 6, 2017: My java is updated to the latest version, I have downgraded to version 1.6.1 and I do not have the file locking issue that everyone speaks of. Something done in version 1.7 and above is causing this issue...and it is definitely not in Java.

Serviio comes with bundled Java, so you upgrading Java makes no difference. 1.7 did upgrade to 1.8.0_91, so it might cause problems on some system I guess.

Return to Serviio Support & Help