FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

No subtitles at the end of movie.

<<

CreaTian

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:56 am

No subtitles at the end of movie.

Hello. I just downloaded Serviio 1.7. I use it for my Playstation 4. And now, its something weird. In every movie, when timeline is over 3/4 a movie, subtitles are gone.
I go to the previous part of movie, and there still are. I didnt see it in previous versions, so how fix it? Do you have this problem too?
How is this possible? Thanks for help.
Greetings

Edit: I use Windows 8.1
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:24 am

Re: No subtitles at the end of movie.

Being fixed in 1.7.1.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

hipporoll

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:00 pm

I have a similar issue with Serviio 1.8.0-0031 on Synology NAS DS216j.
After having upgraded Serviio from 1.6 to 1.8, subtitle disappears starting from around 80% of the entire play time.
I suppose this issue was found and fixed in 1.7.1, but the bug persists somehow in 1.8. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I would like to downgrade Serviio for Synology back to 1.6, but I couldn't, because on http://packages.pcloadletter.co.uk/ only 1.8 is available.

Any hints, or workaround?
Thanks.

EDIT: this issue happens for both subtitle formats, Subrip (*.srt) and SAMI (*.smi).
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:30 pm

Could you attache the subtitle here? (zipped) And are you burning them in or are they soft-subs?
<<

hipporoll

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:07 pm

I'll attach one of my subtitles. With this one, no subtitle shows up starting from ca. 01:40:00.
In my test setup, actually every subtitle is affected. So this attachment is not the only affected one.
And I'm not using burned-in subtitle, but always normal external subtitle files. (*.srt or *.smi)
Attachments
Mad.Max.Fury.Road.2015.1080p.BluRay.H264.AAC-RARBG.zip
(18.3 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
<<

zip

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:07 pm

cool, can you also post detailed logging of playing the file with this subtitle?
<<

adi07

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:35 am

Same problem for me in version 1.8 on Ubuntu 16.10. Subtitles disappear around 90% of the length of the movie. It happens on almost all files. Using .srt files in movie folders. No transcoding. This happens only when using KODI (tried 16,17.1) as renderer (on PC, Android Phone and Xiaomi Mi Box). When using MX player or ServiiGo or Serviio MediaBrowser, then the subtitles are OK. Also when playing the movie via KODI locally the subtitles works properly.

What could be the cause of it ? It was tracked with Issue #956 and it is supposed to be fixed. Looks to be similar, but different problem. What was the cause/fix of #956 (just curious) ?

Can I help with the investigation ? I turned debug logs on, but just looking at those logs I do not see any errors during playback via KODI and the logs are almost the same when comparing KODI and MX player playback for instance.

Thanks.
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:16 pm

I have never encountered this issue using my Synology package. I compile the FFmpeg build myself, including most of the dependent libraries. Might this be related to the version of fontconfig, or libfreetype? Or more likely the version of libass? I'm using a more recent version (0.13.4) than I think Zip compiles for the Mac and Windows versions of Serviio.
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

adi07

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:49 pm

I investigated more and found out that the missing subtitle lines (sometimes it stops in the middle of a line) at the end are related to the encoding of the .srt file. Usually my .srt files are in Windows-1250 (CP1250) encoding. This causes the problem in my setup (Serviio 1.8 -> Kodi 16/17). I found out that the number of missing lines is directly related to the number of non-ASCII (non 7-bit) characters in the file. If I replace one 'a' with the accent (acute-a - 0xe1 in CP1250) with regular 'a' character (0x61 in ASCII) somewhere at the beginning of the .srt file I will get one more character on the last line displayed in Kodi. Similarly, if I add on space at the end of the .srt file I also get one additional character displayed on the last line. To sum it up, the number of displayed subtitle characters is equal to the total number of characters minus the total number of non-ASCII characters.

Has anyone idea what could be the cause of this ? Thanks.
<<

trapatoni

Serviio newbie

Post Sun May 14, 2017 8:39 am

I faced this same problem yesterday. I had not been watching movies for few months and yesterday it almost ruined my evening.
Kodi 16.1 on a MXQ Pro box, Serviio 1.8 on Server 2008 R2 accessing file shares on another PC/NAS.
After progressing to about 3/4 of the length of the movie(s), subtitles just disappear. Rewinding back a little, they appear and disappear at the same point in time for a movie, but that point is movie-dependent. After reading previous posts I guess it might have something to do with the encoding and the number of non-lowASCII symbols in the file. All my srt files are cp1251 and play well in all players. I'm not even sure which of the two softwares is at fault here (Kodi or Serviio). But this topic is exactly explaining my problem after searching online, that's why I'm using it.

My solution is to convert all subtitles (.srt files) to UTF-8 with BOM encoding, and in Kodi select Default as encoding (there is no UTF-8 entry there). Now subtitles don't disappear and work normally. It was not sufficient to apply only either of those - "Default" encoding in Kodi or converting subs to UTF-8, I had to do both.
I think things were Ok with 1.7.x and the same Kodi I have, because I've watched several movies before.
<<

zip

Post Sun May 14, 2017 10:36 am

Could you post the original srt and the one you manually converted please? I would like to compare them.
<<

trapatoni

Serviio newbie

Post Sun May 14, 2017 8:07 pm

Here it is. Win1251 + UTF8_BOM versions of the same subtitle.
Nothing special, I opened the win1251 srt file in Notepad++ and converted it to utf8-BOM and saved. I didn't try utf8 without BOM but I guess it would work too.
Attachments
srt_eot.zip
win1251 and utf8-BOM versions of a .srt file
(56.98 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
<<

zip

Post Mon May 15, 2017 7:58 am

Thanks, will give it a go.
<<

lagunaa

Serviio lover

Post Mon May 15, 2017 9:02 am

trapatoni wrote:Nothing special, I opened the win1251 srt file in Notepad++ and converted it to utf8-BOM and saved.

That's the same operation I was used to do until Serviio implemented charset detection for subs.
<<

zip

Post Mon May 15, 2017 8:07 pm

I ran it through my tests and Serviio generates the same file, byte by byte. So I'm not really sure why it doesn't work for you.

What profile are you using?

Also, could you please enable detailed logging and browse and start playing this file (the attached subs in its original encoding). I want to see what actually Kodi requests (it might request only a part of the file).
<<

zip

Post Tue May 16, 2017 7:32 pm

Nevermind, I think I found it.

Would be good if you sign up as a beta tester to give the upcoming 1.9 beta a try.
<<

trapatoni

Serviio newbie

Post Tue May 16, 2017 7:43 pm

Ok, I enabled logging, then navigated to the movie, started it and after I saw the first subtitle I moved to position about 0h:53min. Subs were still working. Then I moved to position 1h:15min and ... no subtitles.
I went through the log a bit and I think Kodi loads the whole subtitle file at once at the beginning. So I guess the problem is somewhere in Kodi..
It seems Serviio creates log files 500KB each. I'm attaching the one that corresponds to the timespan I conducted the experiment.
11.12 is Kodi box, 11.13 is the server with Serviio.
The file is protected, I'm gonna send you the password as a PM. Edit: Ok, It seems I can't use PMs, anyway. If interested, I can send the PW in some other way.
As to beta testing, I don't know, the TV box is Android and I'm no that fond of trying things on Android that I can't easily revert (the same on my smartphone(s)). If you have strong evidence you found the culprit (and it is Serviio's fault), and cannot test, I probably can test in some VM.
P.S. Hm, it seems I was confused. Serviio is not running on the TV box but under Windows. I thought of Kodi when speaking about testing on my TV box :) .
Attachments
serviio.log.zip
(23.2 KiB) Downloaded 263 times

Return to Serviio Support & Help