FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Cannot play MP3 since update to version 1.8 on Synology

<<

Charles Francis H.

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:18 pm

Cannot play MP3 since update to version 1.8 on Synology

Hello,

I'm running Serviio Pro on a Synology DS916+.

Since updating to 1.8 my devices (a Samsung TV and a Panasonic TV) do not play my MP3 files ("file format is not supported"). I'm absolutly sure I could play these files before the update with version 1.6 on the Synology NAS and I tested with version 1.7 running on a Windows 7 PC: Streaming the same MP3s from the PC with ver. 1.7 both devices can play the files.

- Are there any known issues with version 1.8 and MP3 (and Synology)?
- I would try to update the PC to 1.8 and see if the devices can play the MP3 or not but I'm a little bit afraid of updating Serviio on the PC and then can not play any MP3 from the Synology nor the PC.
- Is it possible to downgrade the version on the Synology?
- I tried different profiles for the TVs, e.g. every Viera profile for the Panasonic - no chance.

Please help, can't live without my Serviio and can't sleep without my good-night-music :?
<<

Charles Francis H.

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:19 pm

Re: Cannot play MP3 since update to version 1.8 on Synology

Hello there,

is there nobody with same problems? Am I the only one with this constellation (Serviio 1.8 - Synology - Panasonic/Samsung TV)??

Does any body know if it is possible to downgrade from 1.8 to 1.6?

Quoting the Beatles "Help I need somebody. Help" waiting for answers. :)
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:23 pm

I'm not certain you can downgrade (often a new version has some DB changes that wouldn't work with the older version), but you can certainly uninstall 1.8 and install 1.6. If I recall, you can download older versions by copying the download URL and change the version number before you enter. I personally hang on to my older versions. I think I finally deleted the versions before 1.0 :lol:

But they're too large to email, so no I can't send it to you. :o
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:53 am

Charles Francis H. wrote:I would try to update the PC to 1.8 and see if the devices can play the MP3
I can vouch for the Panasonic. I am using Serviio 1.8 on Windows 7 and can play MP3's to either of my Panasonic TV's. May suggest that the issue is localised to the Synology build, or to your specific setup.

The Panasonics should play MP3 natively so try the Generic DLNA profile and see if that works.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

Charles Francis H.

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:54 pm

Hello atc98092 and DenyAll,
thank you for your replies!!! 8-)

atc98092 wrote:but you can certainly uninstall 1.8 and install 1.6. If I recall, you can download older versions by copying the download URL and change the version number before you enter.
Good idea but I think there is no way to download the 1.6 package manually because Serviio is downloaded and installed from the Synology Package Center. Or am I wrong and there is a seperate link that I did not find?

DenyAll wrote:I can vouch for the Panasonic. I am using Serviio 1.8 on Windows 7 and can play MP3's to either of my Panasonic TV's.
Hm OK I could update the PC to 1.8, thanks for the info but I especially moved to Synology NAS to save power so I do not want to go back to PC only for listening to my MP3s :(

DenyAll wrote:May suggest that the issue is localised to the Synology build, or to your specific setup.
I think so, too. But what can I do? OK, I could remove the Serviio App from the Synology NAS and set it up again but I have no hope that would be solve the problem.

DenyAll wrote:The Panasonics should play MP3 natively so try the Generic DLNA profile and see if that works.
I nearly tried all of the given profiles with restarting Serviio Service and TV after every change - no success :?

Is there nobody from the Synology Team who could help me? :oops:
<<

Charles Francis H.

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:47 pm

Hello again.

I found out something new: I installed the app ServiiGo on my android device an when trying to play the MP3 files it says "Error loading content". When clicking "Retry" it says "The server returned unsupported JSON."

JSON is some kind of Java format (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON). So I updated Java on the Synology NAS to Version 8 Update 121 but no change, same problem :(

And the same problem when accessing the media server from the Windows PC via Webbrowser (my.media.server:23424/mediabrowser).

This is very frustrating.

Dear developers, is it possible to get the old Version 1.6 for manually install it on my NAS?? Or is this problem meanwhile known and someone is working on it?

Thanks in advance.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:05 pm

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1289

You need to post your log to see if there are any obvious errors.
<<

Charles Francis H.

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:45 am

zip wrote:http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1289

You need to post your log to see if there are any obvious errors.

OK, I can do that but it seems I need to login to the Synology NAS via Console to edit the log4j.xml, right? I never before connected to the NAS via a console but I will try it and post the log. Or is there an easier way to get the activate debugging and to get the log? If not, I will try later and reply.

Many thanks!!
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:27 pm

errors would show in the default log as well, normally. So try that first (without editing the log4j file)
<<

Charles Francis H.

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:37 pm

zip wrote:errors would show in the default log as well, normally. So try that first (without editing the log4j file)

Aha OK, but where do I find the logfile on the Synology NAS? I didn't find something in the Serviio console.
<<

Charles Francis H.

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:09 pm

Hello, sorry for the late reply - vacation :-)

I found the serviio.log via console in /volume1/@appstore/Serviio/log. When trying to play an MP3 file there is nothing logged in it. I tried a lot of MP3 files and a few I could play. Then it logs following:
2017-01-31 21:02:25,707 INFO [PlaybackEventsManager] Playback of media item 25712 has started at 0% on Identifier=192.168.178.11, Profile=Generic DLNA profile, Name=Unrecognized device

I am absolutly sure the MP3 files which can not be played were played in the last version of Serviio because I use to hear some of them when going to sleep.

Is it possible to get the package of version 1.6 to uninstall 1.8 and install 1.6 again? Or what can I do otherwise? Also I noticed some old films in avi format won't be played but I am not sure whether that worked before.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.
<<

Charles Francis H.

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:53 pm

Hello, seems there is nobody from Serviio team who wants to help so I tried to help myself... :evil: I regret a little bit that I subscribed the full version even though I did not need it but wanted to support the developers... :cry:
Because some MP§ files are playing and other do not I thought it may could be because of the length of the names of the files and/or the folders - no.
It also has nothing to do with the names of files and folders (I thought it could be because of some german characters as "ä", "ß" and so on).
And it also has nothing to to with the number of MP3 files in one folder.
But what I found out: I copied a complete folder with such german characters in the folder name and in the file names and put it to the exact same folder on the DS, just with a additional character at the end and these MP3 files are played normally. Example:
- Files in folder "Tädä" was played normally before update. After update every device (TVs, Firefox Browser on Windows) sais "wrong file format".
- Copied this whole folder in the same directory and namend it "Tädä 2" and updated the library manually (automatic library update is disabled) - files are played on every device.

What could be the reason? I do not wnat to to this with each folder.....
Could it be that the library is damaged? Is there a way to renew the whole library?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:47 am

There is no Serviio "team". Zip is the one and only person.

If you still encounter the issue with any files, run a debug log to see if you can capture something that would assist finding the issue. I have heard before about issues with special characters, but a debug log would likely help track down exactly what was happening.

I believe the library can be rebuilt by deleting the files in the DB folder, but I'll let Zip (or someone who knows for sure) confirm before you do it.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

Charles Francis H.

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:19 am

atc98092 wrote:There is no Serviio "team". Zip is the one and only person.
Oh a one man show, really?!? This is something different - I understand that one singel guy could not answer and help everyone immediately ;)
There is one thing I want to try before debugging: I removed all folders containing MP3 files from the library and the Synologys HDDs had to do a lot (could hear it). Later I will add these folders again hoping the library will be rerecated and the files would be played again... I will let you know.
<<

Charles Francis H.

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:28 am

By the way: Every time after deleting temporary internet files, cookies and so on (so every time when starting Firefox new) when I google for something with Serviio and google sends me to serviio.org, I am redirected to some supposed lottery win page or so. Is that behavior wanted?!?? It is the same behavior from different computers.
2017-02-10_08h15_01.jpg
2017-02-10_08h15_01.jpg (51.55 KiB) Viewed 8306 times
<<

Charles Francis H.

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:03 pm

Seems removing MP3 folders from library, waiting a bit, adding them again and waiting again helped. I am able to play the related MP3 files in Mediabrowser. Hope it will work on TV, too. If not, I will get back here :roll:
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:28 pm

Charles Francis H. wrote:By the way: Every time after deleting temporary internet files, cookies and so on (so every time when starting Firefox new) when I google for something with Serviio and google sends me to serviio.org, I am redirected to some supposed lottery win page or so. Is that behavior wanted?!?? It is the same behavior from different computers.
2017-02-10_08h15_01.jpg

I can't read that message, but no, you shouldn't be redirected to any other web site. I just tried www.serviio.org and reached it without any redirect, so the web site itself has not been infected. Either something has infected the DNS server you are using (most likely run by your local ISP), or your computers themselves have been infected with something. Try connecting to the Serviio web site using its IP address (188.65.112.29) and see if you still get redirected. You shouldn't unless you've really been attacked. :(
Dan

Return to Serviio Support & Help